Which USB thumb drives work with 2013 Toyota Camry DVD/Navi?

Since owning my late 2013 Camry 2.0G (Extremo), I have had difficulty finding a USB thumb drive which is recognised by the Toyota DVD/Navigator system. In fact no USB thumb drive works at all, and the only thing that has worked, is a cheap USB card reader (see picture), with a mini memory card pushed into it.

That worked perfectly, until the other day, when the card reader died. I cannot get another like that, as it came from overseas. I have tried another type of card reader, but that doesn't work either. If I plug my phone into the USB, then the DVD system recognises it and it finds all the music on the phone. It isn't what I want though. I definitely do not want to use my phone, but to prove a point, doing so enabled me to check that the vehicle's DVD system was still functional.

Is there some special type of card reader, or thumb drive, that presents the file system in a suitable way, and which satisfies the Toyota DVD? Any ideas?

post-115919-0-49810000-1401822429_thumb.

post-115919-0-33459600-1401822441_thumb.

Make sure your flash drive is formatted as FAT32 file system and not NTFS. Not sure if the Toyota system supports folders so may try and be sure all files are at the root directory of the drive.

what format was the mini memory card then format the usb thumb drive to the same. ?

fat32 is recognized across many devices. but then again many usb thumb drives come with this fat32 format pre-installed.

just a wild guess without any further info, you could also try fat16

Edited by 4dyg

Yes, excellent suggestion to you both, but it is already formatted to FAT32. In fact I'm using the same memory card (Sony M2 4Gbyte) in the new card reader, which doesn't work, as I was in the old card reader which worked when it was working (if you get my meaning).

I have checked the format of the card by using Windows 7's Disc Management utility - see attached. It's a real puzzle. At one point, soon after buying the Camry and not being able to read any USB drives, I drew the conclusion that the USB was solely for charging one's phone, but then one day I happened to try this very cheap card reader, and was pleasantly surprised. It's been quite short-lived though!

post-115919-0-66183600-1401824702_thumb.

what format was the mini memory card then format the usb thumb drive to the same. ?

fat32 is recognized across many devices. but then again many usb thumb drives come with this fat32 format pre-installed.

just a wild guess without any further info, you could also try fat16

Yes, FAT16 is worth a try. I have just re-formatted it to FAT (which I presume is the same as FAT16). Tomorrow morning I'll go and give it a try again!

I have a Sony thumb drive and it has on-board file compression software. maybe it is the same for your memory card. Is it a Gb capacity handling problem?

Just shooting in the dark, as i am a Satnav, smartphone etc. luddite sad.png until somebody buys me one thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

I have resolved this at last. Thanks for all your suggestions. For the benefit of anyone else with this requirement, I have found that Kingston Data Traveller thumb drives work fine, but an early Sony Microvault does not. It is not an encrypted Sony - but just plain formatted to FAT32.

All drives are formatted to FAT32 in fact. They all work fine in a PC.

The Sony phone memory card (called M2, FAT32 shown in the picture) worked in the old card reader (before it failed), but it does not work in a another card reader I bought here in Thailand. In the picture attached, the first two are card readers. The latter three are thumb drives, namely Sony Microvault 512MB, Kingston Data Traveller 512MB and Kingston Data Traveller 8 GB.

What to make of this? I can only presume that certain drives present the file system differently to the host device. I have no idea if it is only Kingston drives which work, or if there are a multitude of others. The conclusion I draw from this is that it is not a function of the card reader or thumb drive which determines compatibility with the Toyota equipment, but the type of memory.

Perhaps someone at Toyota has the answer but I'm sure not going to bother asking!!

post-115919-0-41533900-1401858715_thumb.