Thailand voted the most desirable place to visit

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago Thailand would have scored much higher than 36% in a poll like this and it would probably have finished above China in the overall Asia poll.

So, is this good or bad news for Thai tourism?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TAT, you are back to business.

A good result for Thailand and also a credible one.

With the present climate, I can see tourism flourishing again, for the good of Thai economy.

How are things in that parallel universe? 27m subscribers??? Credible?? The Thai tourist economy is sadly in the tank and won't improve for a hell of long time. The first question anyone asks you when you say where you are from now is "How dangerous is it?" or "Is it safe?".

So, 36% picked Thailand, which means the other 64% DIDN'T. Amazing how you can skew numbers to make you look good.

Add to that the ranking is in a "wish-list destination" .

Which is akin to a bucket list of 100 things to do before death. That can also happen in Thailand: death by electrocution in the shower or swimming pool of a hotel, food poisoning, or being hit by a motorcycle on a sidewalk or wrecked inside of an inter-provincial bus when the driver falls asleep in spite of M-150.

Over the years, I have learned to despise Travelzoo. They are the PC whore of the informational travel sector.

Edited by pisico
  • Like 2

Thailand is Southeast Asia’s top wish-list destination

IMGP9416-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand was recently voted the top wish-list destination in South East Asia by followers of the influential London-based travel deals provider Travelzoo.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said Travelzoo polled more than 3.7 million UK subscribers and they named the kingdom as the number one nation in the region they wanted to visit, ahead of Vietnam and Cambodia.

Travelzoo’s first annual poll followers were asked which global destinations and iconic landmarks they would put on their “bucket lists” (a tally of the things people want to see and do in life before they die, or “kick the bucket”).

The aim of the poll was to monitor the popularity and status of various destinations among their subscribers who had to name long- and short-haul holiday spots.

Judged by region, Travelzoo’s followers voted Thailand as the most desirable place to visit in South East Asia which won over a third of the vote (36%), ahead of Vietnam (25%) and Cambodia (8%).

TAT governor Thawatchai Arunyik said, “this is a poll that acknowledges Thailand as one of the ultimate destinations – an exotic place that travellers from around the world regard as being a must-see place at some point in their lives.”

“By coming to Thailand, travellers know they will experience not only beaches and mountains, but also a unique and lively culture, ancient temples, exciting nightlife, a distinctive and fiery cuisine, and some of the friendliest people in the world. The kingdom offers once in a lifetime experiences to travellers and visitors of every age,” he added.

The Travelzoo poll found that long-haul destinations remain popular with European travellers, with China coming first in the Asia category and Australia topping the polls in the Asia-Pacific region.

The top bucket-list landmarks were the Grand Canyon in the US, followed by Peru’s Machu Picchu, the Great Wall of China, Sydney’s Opera House and the Taj Mahal in India.

Travelzoo is an independent, Internet media company which promotes over 2,000 international travel and entertainment companies worldwide. With over 27 million subscribers worldwide, Travelzoo’s expert reviews are used by travellers and tourists to find the best travel deals and enjoy exotic breaks.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-southeast-asias-top-wish-list-destination/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-04

• Like 1

27 million subscribers were polled were they? What a load of absolute rubbish!

You are right about where has never been 27 million voting people but if you log into Travel Zoo websites. It says it has 27 million members. Have no idea it is true or not, but not unrealistic.

With the present climate, I can see tourism flourishing again, for the good of Thai economy.

Euromonitor, Travelzoo........hardly ever heard of. Anyway; people VOTED for Thailand (past tense). Let's see how they in 2557.

Euromonitor, Travelzoo........hardly ever heard of. Anyway; people VOTED for Thailand (past tense). Let's see how they in 2557.

Right, when the first get turn down at immigration, because they fit not in the scheme of the "quality tourist" or might have already a visa and/or exemption stamp in his/her passport.....

Live with the 36%, it will not get better anytime soon.

For those of you who want the choice list

Maritime Southeast Asia, comprising Philippines, Malaysia, East Timor, Indonesia, Brunei, and Singapore.

Mainland Southeast Asia, also known as Indochina, comprising Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, and Vietnam.

I'm thinking best of a bad bunch, not much appeal to western foreigners in that little grouping.

Best place to visit for cheap poon tang.

• Like 1

Over 27 million subscribers of the website worldwide were polled (National News Bureau Of Thailand)

erm.... not quite

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said Travelzoo polled more than 3.7 million UK subscribers (Thai PBS)\

getting closer.... but still just a slight exaggeration..

Travelzoo Destinations survey, March, 2014. Results based on answers from 2065 UK Travelzoo subscribers.

(source: Travelzoo website: http://press.travelzoo.com/travelzoo-uk-unveils-top-bucket-list-destinations-and-landmarks/ )

Good catch. I was thinking at 3.7mill would be about 10% of the adult population in the UK. 1 out of every 10 adults subscribing to a site I've never heard of? I need to leave my cave more often I guess....