Three Canadian police shot dead

webfact

Who said Canada was a peaceful place?

Maybe more guns on the street their than in Thailand.

Gang wars, Chinese & Indian Mafia, Bikers, Growers & and all of the other usual suspects are there and

gun battles are a common occurance.

You're joking right? You think there are more guns in Canada, then in Thailand; I think not. Canada has the lowest homicide rate in North, and South America; and problems Canada does have with guns, stem from the fact that they are are living next-door to the gun toting Americans; with almost no protected boarder. The difference here is; in Thailand this guy would still be on the run. Canada; He'll probably be caught or shot by the end of the day.........

Typical ignorant comment conflating high murder rates with high rates of gun ownership. Were this true, Switzerland would be one of the most violent societies on earth.

In the larger countries of the Americas, what correlates to high rates of homicide is percentage of blacks (and mestizos) in the population. Canada and Chile have the lowest rates of black population, and the lowest rates of homicide; Brazil has the highest percentage of blacks in the population (approx. 50%) and the highest rate of homicide.

The USA has in comparison to other countries in the Americas a middling percentage of blacks, and a middling homicide rate. Exclude the black population--roughly one sixth of the total--from the data, and the number of US homicides is reduced by over half and brings the US homicide rate among non blacks to roughly in line with European countries. Interestingly Puerto Rico, with a percentage black population approximately three times higher than in the rest of the USA, has a homicide rate approximately 6-7 times higher, putting both its percentage of black population and murder rates on par with Brazil.

Note, correlation doesnt necessarily imply causation. And since I take it as self evident that the majority of blacks everywhere are not violent, it is an arithmetic certainty that a minority percentage of them are extraordinarily violent compared to the population as a whole. Just why this is so is perhaps the most urgent question of all for social science.

Disclosure: I hate guns.

Without knowing the truth, the problem cant be fixed.

I believe the shooter in this incident was a white male in his 20's.

I

Typical ignorant comment conflating high murder rates with high rates of gun ownership. Were this true, Switzerland would be one of the most violent societies on earth.

In the larger countries of the Americas, what correlates to high rates of homicide is percentage of blacks (and mestizos) in the population. Canada and Chile have the lowest rates of black population, and the lowest rates of homicide; Brazil has the highest percentage of blacks in the population (approx. 50%) and the highest rate of homicide.

The USA has in comparison to other countries in the Americas a middling percentage of blacks, and a middling homicide rate. Exclude the black population--roughly one sixth of the total--from the data, and the number of US homicides is reduced by over half and brings the US homicide rate among non blacks to roughly in line with European countries. Interestingly Puerto Rico, with a percentage black population approximately three times higher than in the rest of the USA, has a homicide rate approximately 6-7 times higher, putting both its percentage of black population and murder rates on par with Brazil.

Note, correlation doesnt necessarily imply causation. And since I take it as self evident that the majority of blacks everywhere are not violent, it is an arithmetic certainty that a minority percentage of them are extraordinarily violent compared to the population as a whole. Just why this is so is perhaps the most urgent question of all for social science.

If you offered full disclosure it would read: I hate guns AND black people.

Folium,

Thank you for confirming my point that in Switzerland widespread access to firearms coexists with one of the lowest rates of homicides on the planet. Your point about ammo being more available prior to 2007 simply proves my point: more wide spread access to that ammunition then made no material difference to the homicide rate as compared to now. So your point is well taken: ammo, like guns, isnt what kills.

Tell us are you an NRA member?

As for the black population being minimal in certain of the states you cite, that is irrelevant since I explicitly made the point that I was looking at the mestizo population as well. Yes Honduras is the murder capital of the Americas and, as you fail to note, its mestizo population is 90% of the total. Thanks for bringing up Honduras and pointing out that my thesis applies to smaller Latin American countries as well.

Finally, thank you for pointing out that pre insurgency Ukraine--oh yes and several other European countries you dont mention including Russia, Moldova, Estonia, Georgia and Latvia--all have murder rates higher than America's non black population as you calculate it, and another, Finland is only slightly behind, proving, yet again, the point I make in my first post.

Disclosure: no, I really am not Folium posting as a straw man.

• Like 1

If you offered full disclosure it would read: I hate guns AND black people.

In a Clutch, use the racism card.

The truth hurts, doesnt it old boy?

He's been caught:

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/justin-bourque-moncton-shooting-suspect-in-police-custody

Justin Bourque, the man suspected of carrying out the Moncton shooting that left three Mounties dead and two others wounded, has been apprehended by RCMP in New Brunswick.

Paul Greene, a spokesman with the RCMP, said Bourque was arrested in Moncton at 12:10 a.m. AT Friday.

If you are going to throw accusations of ignorance it might be a good idea not to fall into the same bracket...

You obviously know little about Switzerland and the simple fact that most of the weapons stored (securely) in people's homes are military-issued SIG rifles or pistols as per their militia/reserve commitments. The ammunition for said weapons has not been issued since 2007 and being Switzerland over 99% of the already issued 50 rounds per weapon was dutifully handed in as requested. Also being Switzerland there are amazingly strict rules re licenses, storage and general handling of weapons. A degree of intrusion that would have the Michigan militia types positively frothing with constitutional rage....

Moving on to the somewhat alarming "blame it on the blacks" argument...

Nice try by using Switzerland as an example of gun ownership but when it comes to "blame it on the blacks" you weasle out with a handy liittle rider..."in the larger countries of the Americas"...thus trying to avoid the simple fact that Honduras and El Salvador are the murder capitals of the Americas 91.6 and 69.2/1000 murders per head of population respectively. Ironically while El Salvador at 6.2 million is indeed smaller than Switzerland's 8million, Honduras has a larger population at 8.5 million.

But anyway this fails to hide the simple fact that of the larger (whatever that conveniently means) countries in the Americas, Brazil comes in 5th place. What is very apparent is that the black segment of the population in the first four states is at best minimal. While the majority of their populations are mestizos, the mixing was rarely with black ethnic groups.

Venezuela pop. 30million murders 79/1000

Guatemala 14million 38.5/1000

Colombia 47million 30.8/1000

Mexico 118million 23.7/1000

Brazil 201million 21.8/1000

Moving on to the US, you are quite right that blacks commit just over 50% of homicides so if we halve the US murder rate how does it stack up with "larger" (>10 million perhaps) European countries:

Ukraine 5.2/1000

USA (non-black) 2.4

UK 1.2

France 1.1

Spain 0.8

Germany 0.8

Switzerland 0.7 (plenty of guns, not enough bullets obviously)

So "non-black" USA scores poorly compared to the wealthier countries of Europe (and heaven forbid, I even included black citizens of European countries). Interestingly while you merrily claim that Switzerland has a higher rate of access to weapons (not ownership as all those issued SIGs are state property) than the US, their murder rate is less than 25% of even non-black USA. Perhaps the USA should therefore follow the Swiss route and have tighter restrictions, licences etc

As we have seen with Canada having tight control on weapons will not exclude the nutter (and it will be interesting to see where he acquired his weapons), the overall rate in Canada is 1.6/1000.

If you really want to "blame it on the blacks" perhaps you should be looking at murder rates in Africa. But it could be in Africa, as in all countries, a combination of civil unrest. drug wars, easy access to weaponry and poverty that explain high murder rates, rather than just race alone.

Is it possible that all of your figures are per 100,000 people and not per 1,000? Or am I misunderstanding your /1000?

Since I don't see any links to all of this data, I don't know if the stated "murder rates" are overall murders, or just gun murders.

Some of the most recent data I can find would indicate that about 25% of murders in Canada are gang related. In Canada, about 35% of murders are with knives, 29% beatings and strangulations, and 27% are with guns. LINK

Canadians are good people. I'm sorry to hear about the policemen and my condolences to their families, fellow officers and other friends.

I'm glad they caught him instead of killing him. He won't be a happy camper in prison as a cop killer. I believe in capital punishment for crimes like this, and even then the killer has lots of time to reflect on what he did, and to get ready for his execution. Death by cop in the field if not necessary is just too quick with no real punishment that the perp knows about.

Sad event but also shows violence happens in nearly every country including a peaceful place such as Canada.

Who said Canada was a peaceful place?

Maybe more guns on the street their than in Thailand.

Gang wars, Chinese & Indian Mafia, Bikers, Growers & and all of the other usual suspects are there and

gun battles are a common occurance.

Very few hand guns on the streets in Canada compared to other countries. Hand guns are illegal and all guns must be registered and kept in locked cases in the home. Possession of a hand gun is a very serious offence in Canada, the police do not put up with it.

Hand guns are illegal in Canda ?? When did that happened ?