Thailand tourist numbers drop by 10 pct

webfact

Tourist numbers drop by 10 per cent

BANGKOK: -- Thailand suffered a 10-per-cent reduction in tourist numbers in Thailand between May 2013 and the same period this year, the Department of Tourism said on Friday.

According to the director of Department of Tourism, Anupap Gaesornsuwan, the number of tourists from around the world was recorded at 1,736,744 during May 2014, a 10.66 per cent decline over the previous uear.

The political situation, such as demonstration on the streets of Bangkok, was largely responsible for the decline in the number of tourists.

The department is planning a series of stimulus packages to increase the tourist numbers in the second half of 2014/

Thailand expects 26.3 millions of tourists from around the world in this year.

From January to May, 10,357,388 of tourists visited Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-06

Interestingly western arrivals are up but oriental arrivals are down.

So it seems every cloud really does have a silver lining. thumbsup.gif

Source? Couldn't find this in the Nations website, but maybe I didn't look closely enough.

Edit: Found it, it is in the Thai Tourism Agency thread elsewhere on this page

Edited by keestha

Do TAT even know elementary maths. 10.4 million in 5 months so we need 16 million in 7 months, at least 3 of which are considered low season. Unfortunately not a cat in hell's chance. With so many governments still warning against all but essential travel here, there is no way bookings will pick up any time soon.

Just as well TAT not accountable as purveyors of falsehood.

• Like 1

I think it will drop significantly lower before it comes back up. People just shy away from reports of political

turmoil when their home countries are posting travel advisories. Even when there is little disruption, if

any for tourists. Plenty of options so why take the risk.

Isn't the TAT planning to close major intersections in Bangkok for 10 days trying to lure tourist back with Thai music ?

the same intersections that were previously closed !!!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

somone shud tell these jokers,

we do not want to be outside in 98 degree polluted humid air

nor be held up in hot taxi's because they shut roads

arrivals and advance booking are more likely down 100%

an article today threatening anyone who works for the railroad putting out any vehicle which makes the railway look bad will be fired, and disciplined

if you think you are ever going to see real reporting on tourism, just think about that

BTW

rice prices are plunging

They'll come back after the propaganda in the west dies down. I first came here in 2006 when the junta was running things and they were good times. As they seem to be now, too, whenever you let the <deleted> useless politicians run the show things go south. The military ought to rule this country indefinitely.

The source of yapping is obvious: the politicians everywhere are scared of their own &lt;deleted&gt; being thrown out.

Edited by DrTuner

They'll come back after the propaganda in the west dies down. I first came here in 2006 when the junta was running things and they were good times. As they seem to be now, too, whenever you let the <deleted> useless politicians run the show things go south. The military ought to rule this country indefinitely.

The source of yapping is obvious: the politicians everywhere are scared of their own <deleted> being thrown out.

post-9891-0-70912500-1402234121_thumb.jppost-9891-0-64689000-1402234099_thumb.jp

The source of yapping is obvious: the politicians everywhere are scared of their own <deleted> being thrown out.

I disagree,

no one comes back from Thailand saying they yearn to return,

only whore mongers, and when you do the math, it's no real bargain

Interstingly flight prices have increased (at least Germany/Thailand).

Presently I can only get flights aroung 600+ Euro, early May I got a quote of 420 Euro by Aeroflot (includind a look-around at the Sheremetyewo Transit area)

Isn't the 'forward' booking that may reveal a larger problem?

I wonder what the arrivals will be for July, August, Sept etc?

Friends coming from Australia in July

Airfare are up 10%

and booking costs at Hotels up 15% over last year

In Pattaya you now have to pay a loading for weekend bookings

seems the Thais do not know their is a shortage

Or they have increased the fees to cover their losses