Whats up with Thai ladies getting married to much older men?

michaeltheR

»The women argue that the older gentlemen are more settled down and serious about a relationship than people under 40. Any thoughts on this?«
Probably true, over 40 may not mess around as much a younger lads (no guarantee whistling.gif ), and more “serious” can mean “money”; having more and is set to be a provider.
Seems to me like in Thai culture – or in Asia generally – the girls are taught, that an older man is best, as he can take better care of a family. Not unusual to see village girls getting married to a man at double their age (or more).
By the way, I saw another news story yesterday about a 31-year-old guy preferring “mature girls” and at the moment happily dating a 91-year-old lady, so…
biggrin.png

A very well known Thai politican and wealthy sport entusiast, recently married an actress, who was 30 years younger than him, both Thai

while the former wife, aparently, well invested in the marriage and wealth, appeared unfazed

translation: she doesnt have to screw the old guy anymore and still keeps the wealth they created as it is vast, and he gets to do w/e he wants with his young thing, as long as she can stand sleeping with an old man

seems fair

Well people in the West would be freaking out and calling the Thai politician a pervert old man and th young bride a gold dogger, but Thai people see this as normal.

• Like 1

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

»The women argue that the older gentlemen are more settled down and serious about a relationship than people under 40. Any thoughts on this?«
Probably true, over 40 may not mess around as much a younger lads (no guarantee whistling.gif ), and more “serious” can mean “money”; having more and is set to be a provider.
Seems to me like in Thai culture – or in Asia generally – the girls are taught, that an older man is best, as he can take better care of a family. Not unusual to see village girls getting married to a man at double their age (or more).
By the way, I saw another news story yesterday about a 31-year-old guy preferring “mature girls” and at the moment happily dating a 91-year-old lady, so…
biggrin.png

A very well known Thai politican and wealthy sport entusiast, recently married an actress, who was 30 years younger than him, both Thai

while the former wife, aparently, well invested in the marriage and wealth, appeared unfazed

translation: she doesnt have to screw the old guy anymore and still keeps the wealth they created as it is vast, and he gets to do w/e he wants with his young thing, as long as she can stand sleeping with an old man

seems fair

Well people in the West would be freaking out and calling the Thai politician a pervert old man and th young bride a gold dogger, but Thai people see this as normal.

Mao offered Kissinger 10 million Chinese women.

"In 1973 Kissinger was engaged in a discussion of trade with Mao Zedong when the chairman abruptly changed the subject by saying, “We (China) don't have much. What we have in excess is women. So if you want them we can give a few of those to you, some tens of thousands.

Kissinger sidestepped this bizarre offer and changed the subject, but Mao later returned to the subject by jokingly asking, “Do you want our Chinese women? We can give you 10 million"

http://mentalfloss.com/article/26022/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-henry-kissinger

Not all rosy but Thai UK marriages have a good record

Not all marriages between Thai women and UK men work out but they have a pretty good record. In fact there is evidence that some marriages between young Thai women and farangs (foreigners) in general tend to fail for one reason or another. Thailand is not a difficult place in which to find a young Thai woman genuinely seeking a faithful partner although alas this is not always the story. There are horror stories out there, particularly involving men who seek Thai women or marriage partners out in the bars and night clubs of the cities such as Bangkok and Phuket. Recent divorce applications in Thailand's north easy region (Isaan) prompted an investigation into this issue.

However what has emerged is very impressive in fact. Over a period of 10 years marriages between Thai women and foreign partners even where the marriage partner was substantially older, have the same divorce rate as marriages between Thai women and Thai men of a similar age. The divorce rate is approximately 20% which is well below the western average, now approaching 50%.

http://www.thailovel...men-uk-men.html

I am speaking for adult men in general. As a grown up I know everybody pays. Tis you who have classified anyone who pays for sex as a grubby old man.

When I was a child I was upset that my father left me for so long each day. When I became an adult I realized he had to go to work. Same thing.

"Tis you who have classified anyone who pays for sex as a grubby old man. "

No I did not. I classed old men paying for sex with young girls/women as grubby old men.

Incidentally, I see a vast difference between wining and dining a woman and being picked up in a bar and paying for sex upstairs or out the back of the bar. You may not, for which I don't condemn you, but it does mystify me.

I have wined and dined women and I have picked up women in a bar. No difference. You can't comment because you have never been in a bar in Thailand. Old men pay for sex and young men pay for sex; there is nothing grubby about it and the only difference is the age of the men.

I think you're missing my point, perhaps a little too subtle.

I see a huge difference between getting to know a woman over a few dinners and outings before 'scoring', and a purely commercial transaction where a price is negotiated for sex with someone unknown to the purchaser/unknown to each other. There is a difference.

Incidentally I have been in a lot of bars in Cambodia, just not Thailand. In fact, I've never been to Pattaya or Phuket, the heart of the sex industry, so I'm told.

Suggesting that I can't comment because I have never been in a bar in Thailand is just plain silly at best, and absurd at worst. I can comment on any issue I choose, and don't walk around with my eyes closed. I don't need to have paid for sex with a much younger woman, picked up in a bar, to be able to comment on the subject.

Edited by F4UCorsair

"Tis you who have classified anyone who pays for sex as a grubby old man. "

No I did not. I classed old men paying for sex with young girls/women as grubby old men.

Incidentally, I see a vast difference between wining and dining a woman and being picked up in a bar and paying for sex upstairs or out the back of the bar. You may not, for which I don't condemn you, but it does mystify me.

I have wined and dined women and I have picked up women in a bar. No difference. You can't comment because you have never been in a bar in Thailand. Old men pay for sex and young men pay for sex; there is nothing grubby about it and the only difference is the age of the men.

I think you're missing my point, perhaps a little too subtle.

I see a huge difference between getting to know a woman over a few dinners and outings before 'scoring', and a purely commercial transaction where a price is negotiated for sex with someone unknown to the purchaser/unknown to each other. There is a difference.

Incidentally I have been in a lot of bars in Cambodia, just not Thailand. In fact, I've never been to Pattaya or Phuket, the heart of the sex industry, so I'm told.

Suggesting that I can't comment because I have never been in a bar in Thailand is just plain silly at best, and absurd at worst. I can comment on any issue I choose, and don't walk around with my eyes closed. I don't need to have paid for sex with a much younger woman, picked up in a bar, to be able to comment on the subject.

Before I came to Thailand and picked up a woman in a bar and had sex with her I didn't know enough about the subject to comment. After having been here for a long time and meeting thousands of women both in and out of bars I feel knowledgeable enough about the subject to comment. In some cases, not all, there is no difference between a woman met in a bar and a women wined and dined who has never worked in a bar.

Bangkok is the heart of the sex industry in Thailand. You can comment on anything. I can comment on space travel. But! Who you gonna believe? Me or an astronaut? What is it like to have sex in a zero gravity environment? Ask me or ask an astronaut?

I think you know as much about sex in Thailand as I know about sex on a space station. I would uphold your right to comment about sex in outer space. However, I would give it little credence.

Does it take the same amount of ED drugs to have sex with a young woman as it does an older lady? I know the answer to this question. I doubt if you do.

Edited by thailiketoo

biggrin.png

seems fair

I think we could argue that people in the West do not have healthy attitudes towards an age differential in relationships. So, who on earth cares what they think, anyway?

Spidermike007

You seem like the kind of guy who will have the last word, regardless of what is put before you thailiketoo.

We have differences of opinion that won't be reconciled, so I'll drop out of discourse with you.

We have a difference of opinion. You are talking out your bum about things you imagine to happen or not happen. I am talking from a wealth of personal experience.

You wrote, " I classed old men paying for sex with young girls/women as grubby old men."

I find that offensive. The men in question are doing nothing illegal or immoral. You feel it necessary to draw a distinction between young and old men paying for sex. The old men are grubby. That is impolite; ergo you are impolite.

Apparently there has been a lapse in your education. One should not be impolite to his elders.

It is one of the reasons I came to Thailand. Thais respect age more than people in the West.

You seem like the kind of guy who will have the last word, regardless of what is put before you thailiketoo.

We have differences of opinion that won't be reconciled, so I'll drop out of discourse with you.

We have a difference of opinion. You are talking out your bum about things you imagine to happen or not happen. I am talking from a wealth of personal experience.

You wrote, " I classed old men paying for sex with young girls/women as grubby old men."

I find that offensive. The men in question are doing nothing illegal or immoral. You feel it necessary to draw a distinction between young and old men paying for sex. The old men are grubby. That is impolite; ergo you are impolite.

Apparently there has been a lapse in your education. One should not be impolite to his elders.

It is one of the reasons I came to Thailand. Thais respect age more than people in the West.

I did say I wouldn't engage you further, but after seeing your post, I couldn't help myself.

So you ARE a grubby old man!!

One of the reasons you came to Thailand is respect for older people!! I'll be laughing about that one all day.

It's OK, you can admit it, and not be so defensive about BS like respect. One of the reasons you came to Thailand is that you can be laid by much younger women for a lot less $$ than at home. It's not respect for age you're seeing among young women; it's respect for your $$/Baht.

You can bang on all you like about respect, etc., but that won't change my position on grubby old men. I don't, and won't, pay young women for sex because I wouldn't be comfortable doing so, but feel free to do so yourself. I also won't deceive myself into thinking that they respect me because of my age.

Edited by F4UCorsair

In 1995, for 2nd time in Patong Beach, i sat often in afternoon outside a Belgian lunchroom on Soi Bangla. Just looking to the people passing by. Many older men with beautiful girls walked by. Upon eyecontact with a girl i sort of compassionately shook my head. Behind the back of their older guy many girls held their hand up like saying....i know know and they smiled to me. Since then i tought if i saw my old man with such a girl i would smack him in the face. That thought i kept with me until a 25 year old young guy, 10 years later, told me in a discotheque just arriving from Bali....wooowwww what a place here....everything is possible..as well for older men yo date/have sex with women to make them happy. He pointed to a couple of older men with middle aged women.The guy was right...he opened my eyes and helped me to take away my silly prejudiced thoughts. Every man, young or old needs love, the feeling of to be wanted. If thai women can give them that feeling on an honest and sincere way, everybody is a winner. Combining the pleasant and the usefull.

• Like 1

I did say I wouldn't engage you further, but after seeing your post, I couldn't help myself.

One of the reasons you came to Thailand is respect for older people!! I'll be laughing about that one all day.

It's OK, you can admit it, and not be so defensive about BS like respect. One of the reasons you came to Thailand is that you can be laid by much younger women for a lot less $$ than at home. It's not respect for age you're seeing among young women; it's respect for your $$/Baht.

You can bang on all you like about respect, etc., but that won't change my position on grubby old men. I don't, and won't, pay young women for sex because I wouldn't be comfortable doing so, but feel free to do so yourself. I also won't deceive myself into thinking that they respect me because of my age.

So you go to bars in Cambodia and not Thailand. I think I remember you saying that. My only complaint with you is that you are calling me grubby. 1. We have never met. 2. When I first came to Thailand I was in my 20's and it was not for sex. I am respected in Thailand because of my age, job and the fact that I'm a really nice guy.

You are one of those guys who has to bash older men because you have an ego problem. I get it. But don't try and fake it. If you have never met me you have no way of knowing if I am grubby.

I would say more but you will get over your problem. Years. Years is all it takes.smile.png

So you go to bars in Cambodia and not Thailand. I think I remember you saying that. My only complaint with you is that you are calling me grubby. 1. We have never met. 2. When I first came to Thailand I was in my 20's and it was not for sex. I am respected in Thailand because of my age, job and the fact that I'm a really nice guy.

You are one of those guys who has to bash older men because you have an ego problem. I get it. But don't try and fake it. If you have never met me you have no way of knowing if I am grubby.

I would say more but you will get over your problem. Years. Years is all it takes.smile.png

i'm a grubby young man and proud

Yep, follow the money smile.png

It has happened in other countries and other periods in history: after the US Civil War, the government decreased the money supply by recalling the "Green Backs" printed by the Union to finance the war. That resulted in shortage of cash and it was not uncommon for your women to marry older veterans. While the old soldier was alive, he received a pension; when he passed to his great reward, the wife received a widow's pension. You do what you must smile.png

Will be interesting to see how things shake out in greater asia though- pre selection of male babies has led to a shortage of women. I wouldn't want to be in China or India when thousands of angry young men begin to riot.

My great grandfather, a Union vet, married a woman in her teens when he was in his 60's. She got his Civil War pension up until the 1960's when she died.

How did your Union vet grandpa find an Isaan lady there ???

Have you ever tried to speak to a Thai under 40 ? Speak to your 15 years old kid, it's similar...

Yes I have. There are 300,000 to 400,000 Thai university graduates every year. They talk like most uni grads anywhere. Concerned about getting a job. Excited about travel to different countries. Stuff kids just out of college talk about. As they approach 40 they are concerned about family and children and savings, you know the usual stuff.

Have you ever tried to speak to a Thai under 40 ? Speak to your 15 years old kid, it's similar...

Yes I have. There are 300,000 to 400,000 Thai university graduates every year. They talk like most uni grads anywhere. Concerned about getting a job. Excited about travel to different countries. Stuff kids just out of college talk about. As they approach 40 they are concerned about family and children and savings, you know the usual stuff.

Thai university = US high school

But there is a difference, US high school frowns on cheating and copying.

Never met a US uni grad that covers her room and car with "Hello Kitty"

But met several 40+ Thai ladies with plenty of "Hello Kitty"

But it's not all bad, I quite like Thai ladies, most never progress beyond age 17 (as judged in the US), mentally or physically.

Sorry TLT, the quality of female western uni grads you know must be very low.

Or more likely, you never mixed with any.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

But it's not all bad, I quite like Thai ladies, most never progress beyond age 17 (as judged in the US), mentally or physically.

I have a number of children who graduated from college. I've not met many male college grads in or out of Thailand who cover their rooms with "Hello Kitty" stuff.

So you want to take me on?

Insulting posts like, "Sorry TLT, the quality of female western uni grads you know must be very low.

Or more likely, you never mixed with any."

Well, I think there are far too many insulting posters like you on Thai Visa. I try and do my bit not to encourage them or respond to them. It's easy and I would encourage everyone who gets insulted for no reason at all to put the offending posters on ignore rather than start a war of insults.

I have a number of children who graduated from college. I've not met many male college grads in or out of Thailand who cover their rooms with "Hello Kitty" stuff.

The topic title specifies "Thai ladies", your extensive experiences of Thai mens bedrooms shock1.gif are irrelevant to this thread.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

okay. I have a confession to make. I will not turn 40 until July 22nd. So I guess I'm not old, but I'm certainly not young. And I will tell you that American men-and I don't know how many of you are American expats-but American men genuinely have a very good reputation among women of the world who are not neurotic upper middle class white women from the suburbs.what time a Vietnamese friend told me that the women in Vietnam have a saying about Vietnamese men. She said the saying is "there are no Vietnamese men." They tend to prefer westerners, and it is not all about the $. it is far more complicated than that. We prefer Latinas and East Asian women. I think it must be biologically driven to a large degree.

okay. I have a confession to make. I will not turn 40 until July 22nd. So I guess I'm not old, but I'm certainly not young. And I will tell you that American men-and I don't know how many of you are American expats-but American men genuinely have a very good reputation among women of the world who are not neurotic upper middle class white women from the suburbs.what time a Vietnamese friend told me that the women in Vietnam have a saying about Vietnamese men. She said the saying is "there are no Vietnamese men." They tend to prefer westerners, and it is not all about the $. it is far more complicated than that. We prefer Latinas and East Asian women. I think it must be biologically driven to a large degree.

There are no Vietnamese men? Wonder what the Vietnamese men think about that.

Some very odd comments. But the last time I was in the US (a few months ago), most of the white men I saw were with white women. Something like 90%+. So when you say "we" prefer Latinas and East Asian women, who is "we" referring to exactly?

I'm not sure where you were, but the fact is this year several fairly comprehensive studies have shown attraction patterns in human beings across cultures favor white men, Latinas, and East Asian women. Just reporting what the research says.

Thai women at a certain age are not really after sex although their appearance they tends to be more attracted by the men rather than having sex only whereas Rich old thai men are more after young and fresh girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

to be frank, I'm not sure Vietnamese men really know what is being said behind their backs. can I don't know if this is the case I'm on time and, but it certainly is in Vietnam: it is like they are completely unaware of just how beautiful Vietnamese women are and how lucky they are.

Edited by bnquick74

I think the whole point she was trying to make was that they don't generally see Vietnamese men as being desirable. and I tell you that one of the things about the women I see every day at the university where I teach is that they feel like they have to make some kind of choice between intelligence ben sensuality. They generally just end up being really angry and blame men, and that ain't sexy. most of us prefer our partners to actually enjoy our masculinity. I don't see that kind of misplaced aggression that leads to a really ugly fractured human being nearly as often in women from other parts of the world.

I'm not sure where you were, but the fact is this year several fairly comprehensive studies have shown attraction patterns in human beings across cultures favor white men, Latinas, and East Asian women. Just reporting what the research says.

Do you have a link for the research or is the usual kind of Pub research we get on Thai Visa?

• Like 1

to be frank, I'm not sure Vietnamese men really know what is being said behind their backs. can I don't know if this is the case I'm on time and, but it certainly is in Vietnam: it is like they are completely unaware of just how beautiful Vietnamese women are and how lucky they are.

Kinda too bad there isn't an NVA troop with an AK-47 around here so you could tell him what is going on behind his back.