Please Only Read That If You Like To Eat Real Dutch Cheese

sirchai

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

This year seems to be special for my family and me. I jumped over my shadow and actually bought a 4.5 kg wheel of Dutch Gouda cheese at Makro for 1,950 baht.

For those who're not good at math, please let me explain.

450 grams of finest Dutch cheese for 195 baht. 45 grams for 19.5 baht. Was only possible to buy such a big wheel of cheese as I'd quit my job to make more cheesemoney from now on.

Delicious on pizza, toast, on any noodle dishes, salad, on a steak, sandwich, etc...

I even take some cheese and house (Haus in German) salami (1 kg at Makro made by TGM ( Thai German Meat), some decent bread to school, as my lunch.

Better than any Somtahm I ever had, please give it a try.Hope my post wasn't too cheesy now.-facepalm.gif

Been getting 2kg Cheddar in Makro for ages.. 900bt

totster smile.png

Pricey, it's 790 baht round these parts.

Actually, now you say that I'm certain it's what I pay... it's late.. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, don't forget, no cheese before bedtime it'll give you nightmares..(i'm off to the fridge for some cheese n crackers)

totster :)

totster smile.png

IMHO...................

the Cheddar in Makro is tasteless, while the Gouda is not! biggrin.png

• Like 2

Having just finished reading, what possibly rates, 'most idiotic letter from a farang' in the Bangkok Post talking about 'cheese fairies', nope this wasn't 'cheesy' in the least.

Now off to Makro when they open

totster smile.png

IMHO...................

Makro sell about 3-4 various makers of 'Cheddar Cheese'. Don't write them all off. I prefer their ready frozen grated 'Cheddar Cheese' as it doubles up to make a lovely topping for pizza's. Their 'Mozilla' is crap.

Edited by sinbin

totster smile.png

IMHO...................

Makro sell about 3-4 various makers of 'Cheddar Cheese'. Don't write them all off. I prefer their ready frozen grated 'Cheddar Cheese' as it doubles up to make a lovely topping for pizza's. Their 'Mozilla' is crap.

Hmm, yes I was referring to the 2? kg Cheddar "ball" biggrin.png

totster smile.png

This is processed cheese........tastless.

Try the real cheddar, in Tesco or Bic C, more expensive but delicious.

OP, I do also enjoy eating Gouda cheese.

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 2

OP, you need a chunk of Cheshire cheese with a pint of real ale or even a glass of port, that stuff you bought will soon be forgotten.............biggrin.png

Mr. Trans, you opened my appetite.

Can you buy Cheshire here?

No..........sad.png ...........Well, perhaps somewhere but never seen "class" cheese anywhere here..........sad.png

• Like 1

totster smile.png

Had that so many times but it tastes like poo. ( Comparing with the Gouda) Might be a great idea to share such a big wheel of 4.5 kg with somebody, before it dries out.

The Pepper salami is nuts, please try their "Haus Salami".A good German Rye black bread with Gouda and Haus salami is always "lovely", together with a fresh brewed coffee.

If you can't find this cheese or salami at let's say Makro Sisaket, just tell them to order some, takes three days.

And there're people on this forum who badmouth Dutch people. Their cheese and wooden shoes are unique......thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So how (in your opinion) is the TGM Haus salami -- I read that the pizza gang was not too pleased with the TGM Pepperoni.

The Pepperoni must be for newbies. Tastes like babypoo to me.Go for the "real one."

OP, you need a chunk of Cheshire cheese with a pint of real ale or even a glass of port, that stuff you bought will soon be forgotten.............biggrin.png

Just wondering what Misses Trans would say......I wasn't talking about dogs, mate. -facepalm.gif .

totster smile.png

IMHO...................

Try to eat a pizza with the "real one." It's addictive. Cheddar is for Americans, as they don't know it better. And white enriched bread. Harr harr.

totster smile.png

IMHO...................

Try to eat a pizza with the "real one." It's addictive. Cheddar is for Americans, as they don't know it better. And white enriched bread. Harr harr.

Huh? How did a post about Dutch cheeses just turn into American bashing?

So I'll be the token American: I have bought at Makro the 1 kg Imported Dutch Edam (Emborg); also the 1 kg Imported Italian Grana Padano. The 2kg cheddar loaf imported from US says 'mild' so I wouldn't want to buy that much and be disappointed. For cheddar I buy the 250 gm Sharp from Australia at Tesco or BigC.

I do like the 1 kg Mozzarella imported from Hua Hin but I tend to eat it cold in salads w/ olive oil or on sandwiches rather than melted for pizza.

Edited by JLCrab

Finest Dutch cheese he?

I brought Dutch Gouda cheese to Thailand I paid 3.99 euro/kg and an other at 8.30/kg and some Old Amsterdam at 15.48/kg and Brugge Gold at 13.40/kg.

Guess what tasted better, the 3.99/kg or the 8.30/kg?

Makro also sells the king of cheeses, Parmesan at ฿750.-/Kg. Making garlic bread today using this.

The only cheese imported from Italy that I have seen at Makro is the Grana Padano at 750B/kg which is close to but not Parmigiano-Reggiano

Edited by JLCrab