Does Phuket have any good bread?

golfbum

I've just been treated to some amazing bread from Conkey's Bakery in Bangkok, and it has reminded me of how hard it is to find good bread here in Phuket. Where do Thai Visa readers go to buy good bread? And I mean good bread, like you find in a farmer's market - see photos attached.

post-104666-0-29631700-1402325726_thumb.

post-104666-0-67776600-1402325985_thumb.

post-104666-0-87687100-1402325999_thumb.

post-104666-0-48509700-1402326018_thumb.

post-104666-0-66608800-1402326034_thumb.

Buy one of them kitchen bread makers - not hard to made just put the ingredient in and press start - done in about an hour. I never did it but know someone that makes very tasty fresh bread with one of them.

Buy one of them kitchen bread makers - not hard to made just put the ingredient in and press start - done in about an hour. I never did it but know someone that makes very tasty fresh bread with one of them.

I had one a few years back in Australia where pre mixed ingredients are avaliable in all the supermarkets

which make them easy to use

After using it a few times it went into the cupboard never to re appear

Like most people i prefer to buy my bread fresh from a bakery if you can find a decent one

Big C Patong and the main tesco have good bakeries, have yet to find one in the Rawai area

There is a bakery next to the Family restaurant by main tesco chalong that has good fresh french loaves in the afternoon

breadmakers are total rubbish - read the list of ingredients on the back of the premix........

Breadmaker is a handy tool which takes care of the manual labor work when making the bread. I did not even know there was a premix packages for breadmakers. I used (many years ago) normal ingredients from the grocery stores.

Freshly baked bread in the morning. I might just try if the old machine still works.

I know someone who just bought one and is now trying to find all the ingredients. rolleyes.gif

About 8,000 baht, bottom floor Central dept. store.

breadmakers are total rubbish - read the list of ingredients on the back of the premix........

most decent hotels will sell you bread, just go into breakfast & ask

Nothing wrong with bread makers.

Why use pre-mix when all you need is flour, yeast, sugar, salt ,oil and water.

• Like 1

I know someone who just bought one and is now trying to find all the ingredients. rolleyes.gif

About 8,000 baht, bottom floor Central dept. store.

8000 jeez what total rip off.That is 2 to 3 times the price of most countries.

PM me if you want to know where to buy ingredients

we used to bake our own rye bread in Australia, as it is close to impossible (and very expensive) to have good fresh rye sourdough even in Sydney.

In Phuket there is no need anymore. We used to buy dark (not really rye) bread from Festival and Wine Connection. Now there's some organic shop opened opposite Wine Connection @ CherngTalay, and they offer frozen or freshly baked very tasty bread, incl. rye, bagets, focaccias etc. A bit pricey though (100-150 bath per loaf), esp. if you consider how cheap baking ingredients are here (even in Villa Market.. but there's also a "baking stuff" shop in Phuket town), but if you dont have time to mix and knead, or suddenly ran out of bread, it's a good option.

The Bakery (good name wink.png) two doors up from Tesco @ Park, Rawai.

Just to be clear The Bakery is 2 doors down from Tesco Mall about 2 kms south of Chalong Circle, just before the Makro.

I use the Bakery. Good bread at sensible prices.

Edited by LivinginKata
Edited for the sake of location info..

most decent hotels will sell you bread, just go into breakfast & ask

by that logic, why use a machine when all you need are your hands....... the temp here is more than high enough to aid in proofing!

actually you dont even need yeast, you can make your own starter. OIl only used for some breads,

by that logic, why use a machine when all you need are your hands....... the temp here is more than high enough to aid in proofing!

actually you dont even need yeast, you can make your own starter. OIl only used for some breads,

The logic is:

1) Evening: Put the ingredients to the machine and select the program & start time.

2) Morning: Wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread and enjoy.

The logic is:

1) Evening: Put the ingredients to the machine and select the program & start time.

2) Morning: Wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread and enjoy.

start to finish ciabatta - 40 mins (excluding proofing time, where you drink your coffee)

start to finish ciabatta - 40 mins (excluding proofing time, where you drink your coffee)

Too much work for a person who is known to use fire alarm as timer when boiling eggs.

Just ordered one from Lazada, Kenwood for 6,230 Baht smile.png

Now the breadmix, and I'm set.

Honestly mate, stay away from the mixes. Unless you can fine the natural ones, perhaps Gerber house maybe???? especially if you plan on giving it to kids

Just ordered one from Lazada, Kenwood for 6,230 Baht smile.png

Now the breadmix, and I'm set.

Honestly mate, stay away from the mixes. Unless you can fine the natural ones, perhaps Gerber house maybe???? especially if you plan on giving it to kids

Thanks for the warning.

• Like 1