Scorpion sting. 7 months pregnant

Mike45

My wife tells me she just stepped on a scorpion she thinks it may have stung her. She is soaking her foot in hot water now. She doesn't want to go to the hospital. Any advice? Will this affect the baby?

Never soak a scorpion sting or any other venomous bite/sting in hot water! Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate an facilitates the spread of poison through the body. With poisonous snakes, this can be fatal..

Ice the bite/sting site; this is the most effective treatment and is more effective than any pain killer.

The toxin should not affect pregnancy but be sure to get her to a hospital facility asap.

Never soak a scorpion sting or any other venomous bite/sting in hot water! Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate an facilitates the spread of poison through the body. With poisonous snakes, this can be fatal..

Ice the bite/sting site; this is the most effective treatment and is more effective than any pain killer.

The toxin should not affect pregnancy but be sure to get her to a hospital facility asap.

"or any other venomous bite/sting" is surely wrong. There are several poison that are very heat sensitive and you can destroy the poison with hot water. But I doubt that this treatment applies for scorpions, I only heard it for some stings when diving.

My wife got sting several times and took it pretty easy, she told it is less than a bee (at least for her, I have doubts if it is really that light) and doesn't need any treatment......

But if pregnant I would take extra care.......

Have lived over here for 8 years and it is only in the last 6 months that I have had two scorpion stings little white ones 1st time I was ill for 3 days lost all feeling to the left hand arm and leg the pain was indescribable it was agony 2 nd time happened a week or two ago this time it only affected me for 24 hours just went to my local Thai /Chinese pharmacy she gave me two lots of tablets cost 80 baht now I am keeping some spare tablets just in case it happens again I can assure you these stings are far worse than any bee or wasp sting

h90

Yes, stonefish. This fish injects venom through a dorsal spine when stepped on. It is a relatively unstable protein compound that is denaturated by heat. Unfortunately the temp of the water the affected part has to be soaked in is quite high and can lead to burns if not managed properly.

So, if a general statement is to be made, ice it would probably be valid.

If she only thinks it may have stung her, then it almost surely did not. Scorpion stings are excrutiatingly painful.

Would not harm the baby, but she'd know if she had been stung.

The folk remedy out where I live for scorpion stings is to scrape off the end of a match (sulphur) mix with a little lemon juice and some cooked rice into a paste and apply. I have no idea whether it works but the locals swear by it. The one time I was stung I resorted to heavy painkillers for 24 hours.

Best option though if possible is to go to a clinic/hospital for injection of local anesthetic into the affected area. In my case I was stung on the hand and couldn't drive.

If she only thinks it may have stung her, then it almost surely did not. Scorpion stings are excrutiatingly painful.

Would not harm the baby, but she'd know if she had been stung.

The folk remedy out where I live for scorpion stings is to scrape off the end of a match (sulphur) mix with a little lemon juice and some cooked rice into a paste and apply. I have no idea whether it works but the locals swear by it. The one time I was stung I resorted to heavy painkillers for 24 hours.

Best option though if possible is to go to a clinic/hospital for injection of local anesthetic into the affected area. In my case I was stung on the hand and couldn't drive.

I think you may be correct because she is only experiencing a small amount of pain. She actually stepped directly on top of it and crushed it. Perhaps it didn't actually sting her because she is doing very well today.

Thanks all