Thai rice miller gets 20 years in jail for rice pledging frauds

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about the real corrupt masterminds? Will they ever get arrested,... the millers take all the blame on behalf of the TRUE rice pledging mafia big boss...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Give it time eh..............thumbsup.gif

.Where all these folk are going to be locked up could be a problem in the near future............whistling.gif

Have to agree with you give it time.

To many air heads here with why haven't they this or that. They have only been in control for three weeks. It is years of corruption that they are faced with cleaning up. I Believe that there is going to be 4 witnesses testifying this week about the rice corruption. That is a good start unless one gets honest and tells it all. Looking like a lot of interesting times ahead and very uncomfortable ones for some of the people.

Will not surprise me to see other courts handling other rice corruption charges.

Edit

To not wish to give the impression that they will get it all done. There will still be lots to do for the next elected government.

Edited by northernjohn

So that would be corruption in the scheme that yingluck said was not corrupt right? I am sure the NACC have this filed and ready to produce in her negligence case.

Pre Coup;

1st of July, 2013 - The new commerce minister, Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisal (closely linked to thaksin) stated “I will repair the image of the program, clear corruption accusations, and speed up the sale of the rice in the stockpile as soon as possible”

18th of February - Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra strongly rejected claims of corruption in the rice scheme.

22nd of April - Public Warehouse Organization (PWO) stated no rice missing from government warehouses. Their excuse for the perceived missing rice was that it was kept as part of the secondary reserve at silos of private companies under the supervision of the PWO.

The PWO is a marketing arm of the commerce ministry so in essence the people being accused of missing rice, financial loses and corruption in the scheme are investigating themselves.

The new commerce minister did not repair the image of the rice scheme, if he referred to "cleared corruption accusations" as making them disappear he was bang on there and he did not speed up sales of rice from July, 2013 to the 22nd of May, 2014.

Post Coup;

2.9 million tons of rice found missing and losses of over 500 billion baht.

May 28, 2014 - PWO still deny rice is missing. and had a new explanation that differs from their explanation a month earlier is the rice had been pulled out for bleaching and delivery.

Thank God for the coup. Thank God for General Preyuth and thanks God for justice, accountability and honesty.

The PTP held the voters in contempt AGAIN! and I sincerely hope the NACC will give yingluck a similar sentence in accordance with the contempt she has shown the people. She refused to investigate corruption and when she did it was done by her lackeys who lied to the public, lied to the voters and most importantly lied to to the tax payers that funded in.

Give yingluck 20 years too and hold her under house arrest until the sentencing so she doesn't do the famous Shinawatra disappearing act like her criminal unelected brother.

20 years of shopping and graft withdrawal..nope, she won't survive long! ....Good.

Agree with most posters here that this is a good step in the right direction - pretty quick too, and hopefully many more to come. Genuine question...... what attempts are made to recover the money from the convicted fraudsters? And if any is recovered, who gets it? Hopefully it will go to repay the huge loans! Just thinking that if some of these people have 'collected' millions, what's the downside of a 2 year suspended sentence?

it's good when criminals are removed from society but let's not get over excited

the only way to stop corruption is to fix the system, change the culture and promote economic growth (with improved living standards for the people)

this conviction just means that one rice mill will have a new boss

• Like 1

Apart from the probation, good job. I raise a glass to the military government and their continued efforts to set Thailand back on the right course. 6 months to Asean, 6 months to get it all straightened out, they have made a cracking good start..

The case was opened and prosecuted under the previous government not the junta.

would be good if Taksin Yinglook the clan and hangers on who certainly tool their cut got same and please any Taksin red short supporters dont be so naive to think they did not

To deny Takains regme was not totally corrupt and rotten to core is like denying the holocost

Unfortunately the disbelievers and of course the red rabble would deny anything

I wouldn't get too worked up over the 20 year prison sentence for the convicted miller, as yet.

As the article notes, he is eligible to appeal his sentence, and almost certainly will. And then, the case will be dragged on for potentially years. The guy probably will be out on bail in the meantime.

And by the time the appeals verdict comes down, the original sentence will either be struck down or the guy will have long scampered out of the country. That's the normal way these kinds of things usually get resolved.

• Like 1

Twenty years with no probation for fraud. That's a tough deal.

Now I wonder if he might be interested in being given a whistle to blow......?

I suspect that this is exactly how the sh1t is going to start going uphill...!

Give a guy 20 years and I suspect he is going to be pretty keen to start naming those further up the chain. Jail the next guy up, and so on it goes, until they get right to the very top, yes, you guessed it, KhunT...!!

And then - catch me if you can! You ain't done it yet!

Wasn't it only yesterday on another topic that the PT supporters were saying there was no evidence of rice missing or of corruption in the scheme.

Yes it was indeed, go read some of the red comments on this topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732915-sing-buri-speeding-up-checking-of-rice-stockpiles/ start at post No10.

They will have to find something else to post about now, but I see one of them already has by twisting someones words and throwing insults (post29).

I'm quite happy to state that I have always questioned the missing rice statements, and I'm even more happier that it's been proven that this has been the case here, and I will be more than happy to see 3 Million tonnes of "alleged" missing rice turn up through the millers being caught with their fingers in the till.

I'm far from a red supporter, you're entitled to your opinion, but just in case you have trouble doing your due diligence on me, I've always said if anyone I'd support Abhisit, I must be the only Red who would, if given no alternative , would support the Dems..

Let me see, throwing insults? really? I said that by mentioning Red Girlfriends which have absolute NOTHING to do with this, is showing contempt, and it wasn't the first time Gemini has mentioned this.. if that's classed as an insult, and not an observation, then up to you.

The very fact he mentions that the red trolls will be along is every bit an attempt at baiting, trolling if you like.

Bottom line, I couldn't give a toss what you think, but this is a positive step in the right direction wink.png

And I hope there's a lot more to follow, and like I said, not all of these Millers will be conected to the "red shirts"

Edited by Fat Haggis
  • Like 2

Apart from the probation, good job. I raise a glass to the military government and their continued efforts to set Thailand back on the right course. 6 months to Asean, 6 months to get it all straightened out, they have made a cracking good start..

The case was opened and prosecuted under the previous government not the junta.

Is this true ?????????????????

has got to be the best one yet a cheater trying to cheat a cheating corrupt government, so when are the "BIG BOYS" going to be rounded up and put in clink, well we all know that is NEVER going to happen dont we,

• Like 1

Well done! Can't wait for more convictions to be handed down. This rice scam has cost us taxpayers a lot of money. It's time people went to jail.

Are you really a tax payer ?

And read careful, its the farmers cheating the government, and not the other way around .........

• Like 2

Well done! Can't wait for more convictions to be handed down. This rice scam has cost us taxpayers a lot of money. It's time people went to jail.

Are you really a tax payer ?

And read careful, its the farmers cheating the government, and not the other way around .........

It's called an inconvenient truth ;)

• Like 1

I don't see anything in the article that indicated that the "military government" initiated the law suit or had any influence on the verdict. But keep on making baseless assumptions. Maybe it will somehow help "Return Happiness to the Thai people". It appears as though the miller and the others won't be sharing in that "Happiness" unless a reversal occurs in the Appeals Court (assuming they appeal the verdict).

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Kudos to the provincial court. That's what we want. Legal conviction, not trial by media or TVForum.

I would think that the notion of "justice" would trump "conviction" in a court of law, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by MaxYakov