Mayor floats idea of public transport in Phuket’s party town

Lite Beer

Mayor floats idea of public transport in Phuket’s party town

Wiparatana Nathalang

1402378968_1-org.jpg

Most of Patong's tuk-tuk drivers spend most of their day parked and waiting for passengers

PHUKET: The new Mayor of Patong, Chalermluck Kepsab, has floated the idea of reorganising some of the town’s thousands of tuk-tuks to create a hop-on-hop-off public transport system.

The Mayor told The Phuket News this morning, “We are going to take the same tuk-tuks and taxis that are currently just parking [at the roadside] and doing nothing, and get them moving around [on fixed routes] to pick up and drop off people.”

The idea is reminiscent of the popular “baht buses” in Pattaya or Chiang Mai’s rot daeng (red trucks).

She admitted that considerable discussion and negtiation will be required. “We have to discuss this policy with the drivers’ cooperatives, the [Provincial Land] Transportation Department, the police and other relevant people to decide how we can do this.

“We will use only some of the tuk-tuks and taxis. They need to meet standards we will set, the details of which we will reveal when we have discussions with the cooperatives.”

She said that she and her team will be watching closely a meeting later today (June in Karon, at which organisation of tuk-tuks and taxis will be discussed, in the wake of the recent mass arrests – including that of the Mayor of Karon – and the demolition of taxi stands.

Chairat Sukkaban, who was Deputy to the former Mayor of Patong, Pian Keesin, said that although he could see merit in the idea, he was sceptical about its practicability.

“Can she really do it? If she can do it, she only can do part of it because the power lies not with the Municipality; it lies with the Transportation Department.

“And what about the rest of the tuk-tuks and taxi? Where will she put them? I think this is not fair.

“I agree with the idea, and I hope this is not a “talk only” public transport system. But she will have to be very careful not to affect the livelihoods of people and business owners.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/mayor-floats-idea-of-public-transport-in-phuket%E2%80%99s-party-own-46773.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-10

• Like 1

It just goes to show that the (pre-coup) municipality of Phuket have conspired to keep the ripping off of tourists rampant in the private transport system.

Already there are objections.... who cares about the livelihoods of the ripoff merchants, we all found out yesterday they have millions of baht in their banks.

It is a great idea, and a tuk tuk driver can make a lot of money with a hop on hop off system, and will keep them busy instead of lounging around in the shade most of the day and just relying on a few trips at huge profits for them.

Great that people now have the confidence and bravery to stand up and voice good ideas.... Now that the mafia are all but done for.

I agree that there is plenty of money to be made with such use of the tuk-tuks.

Many people have become so wary of these scammers that they are prepared to walk a mile or so to get where they want to go rather than flag down a tuk-tuk. With such a hop-on hop-off system, the drivers would find themselves very busy, and ultimately, very happy...!

Yet another sign that the military coup is not as bad as people have been trying to make out.

"“I agree with the idea, and I hope this is not a “talk only” public transport system. But she will have to be very careful not to affect the livelihoods of people and business owners"

People & Business Qwners will have to learn to adapt. The Cartel / Monopoly (or whatever you want to call it) is over. If there are too many TukTuks to support this kind of system, then some of them will have to find a new career, like actually working for a living. The fares to go outside the route must also be regulated, or the same thing will creep back again.

I won't fly to Phuket anymore, just because of the transport situation. If I have to go there, then I will drive there, so I have my own transport while on the island. It takes about 11 hours now, compared to about 7 hours door to door, going by air. I know it's only a 1 hour flight, but by the time you leave your house to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of flight time, the usual delays, the actual flight time, and then waiting to get your luggage on the other end & then dealing with an Airport taxi, just to get ripped off, it just doesn't make sense to fly.

The cost of fuel for the trip is close to the same as flying, and you can bring as much luggage as you want. The road is quite good now as well, compared to 20 years ago.

​When I'm there I just snarl at all the TukTuks while I drive past them, knowing that I am not giving them another baht.

• Like 2

>>Chairat Sukkaban, who was Deputy to the former Mayor of Patong, Pian Keesin, said that although he could see merit in the idea, he was sceptical about its practicability.

This guy has been a major player at least 15 years in Patong, when he had the Safari Club that people would head to for late night partying after Shark Club. Guaranteed he wants to keep his slice of the thick tuk tuk pie.

All that needs to be done is get the best, most well behaved drivers ( if such a thing exists) to run these routes, then the rest of the louts can figure out a new way to earn a living. Case closed, next!

• Like 2

"And what about the rest of the tuk-tuks and taxi? Where will she put them? I think this is not fair" of course it is fair, they can still sit parked up waiting to rip of tourists as they always have - they will just have to compete against public transport like everywhere else on the planet!

• Like 1

"And what about the rest of the tuk-tuks and taxi? Where will she put them? I think this is not fair."

In my home country banks, convenience stores etc. are gradually changing into not carrying any cash at all, so people can only pay with credit cards, which 95% do anyway. This is in order to avoid robberies, and thereby make it safer for the staff, as if there is no cash, there is nothing to rob.

Yet not a single mayor, deputy mayor or other politician has come forward and argued that such a move is unfair to the bank robbers, as it will affect their livelihoods!!

Taxis all over the world compete with public transport. They can do so by either lowering the price or increasing the service level - or both. And so can and should the taxis and tuk tuks in Phuket. Why is it so many Thais insist on being protected from any form of competition? "Buhuu, but this guy is stealing my job", no he is not, he is beating you at it because you suck at your job!

As an example I would never even consider taking a bus in Bangkok, and I often take a taxi instead of the BTS/MRT. People would do that in Phuket too if the taxis charged Bangkok prices and provided a reasonable service.

Yes, not all taxis and tuktuks in phuket will survive, but that is because there is way too many of them to begin with, which is only possible because their prices are so high that each one can live with having only a couple of fares a day. An added benefit to public transport is that once half the idle tuktuks and taxis are gone, traffic will be better and there will be alot more available parking spaces.

"And what about the rest of the tuk-tuks and taxi? Where will she put them? I think this is not fair" passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

DILLIGAF? - and I'm sure a lot of folks have the same opinion. Let the good times (and good transport) roll! thumbsup.gif

When discussing whether it is fair or not at their next meeting, perhaps they can try to recall the responses the taxis and tuktuks have given to millions of tourists over the years, when these tourists complained that the ripoff prices were not fair.

The taxis and tuktuks did not give a damn whether what they did/do is fair to their customers, why should anyone suddenly care about the taxis and tuktuks now that the tables are about to turn?

This will be a long long long overdue move, hope it happens and the

sooner the better. I personally have little sympathy for any of these

parasites it should be the new way or the highway for these thieves.

facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gifxmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.UuJWYpOV2u no more loafers clogging up the parking and the pavements

clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

How about this for an idea?
Have the "hop on, hop off" tuk tuks in each town: Patong, Kata, Karon, Kamala, Phuket town, etc.

Then have metered tuk tuks for journeys between the towns or longer distance: Big Buddha, Laem Prom Thep, or from Patong to Nai Harn for example.
That way, the drivers/owners can choose which job to take on, and which fits their personality or drive.

Maybe paint them different colors so tourists easily know the difference?

The problem probably would be that more would probably prefer the metered taxi game, as it allows them to sit around, sleep, gamble, and do what they like to do best.

Just in:

Airport Express Bus sets sights on Kata-Karon; seeks security from violent taxi reprisal attacks.

PHUKET: The owner of Phuket’s Airport Express Bus is ready to extend his route into Kata-Karon as soon as the safety of his staff and customers can be guaranteed.

Sause: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Airport-Express-Bus-sets-sights-KataKaron-seeks/30783

At least they are talking about it. That is progress ...

an Ex-BGF of mine's brother paid for three baht buses in Pattaya using this system , in about seven years, 10 baht hop on, hop off ............... he has four kids all in school as well........he keeps them moving 16-20 hours a day and pulls in about 20,000 a day between all three.

Convert existing tuktuks to hop on hop off baht buses? She must read TV. This is what I have been saying for years.

Sent from my Lenovo A369i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I somehow don't think you have said it as many times as I have, NJ. :)

Interesting that the saving of lives by having public transport doesn't seem to be a major motivating factor in the discussions.

It's a great idea, back in 1985 when I started living in Patong, that is what ALL tuk-tuks did, then in 1988 or 89 (can't remember), overnight they became tuk-tuk taxis.

Kn. Pian was the new ?(can't remember) Mayor at the time.

"Kn. Pian was the new ?(can't remember) Mayor at the time." - he needs to be the "new" inmate of Phuket gaol. :)