Junta cancels free flights of THAI board members

webfact

I purchased a promotional fare ticket for international travel then tried to upgrade to business class a few days later. I was told I couldn't pay for an upgrade unless I also paid a 3,000 Baht change fee. Ridiculous! I wanted to give them money and they wouldn't take it! Of course, there were empty seats in business on the outbound flight. We in economy didn't even get alcohol! And my promotional fare got me my choice of seats...as long as they were in the last 4 rows of the aircraft!

An insane way to run a business.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No. That is an insane argument. You bought a promotional economy fare ticket in the first instance. The promotional fare is lower than normal because it comes with certain restrictions such as seating rows and additional surcharges for upgrading. Your argument of having seen empty seats in businesz class does not hold. Supposing there are some empty seats in first class on bangkok-london flight and i offer to buy it at economy rate and they refuse, are they insane?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on some for spreading rumors.

Thai Airways are broke but as they're a national carrier you'll be fine, and just as well. No rumour mongering at all. Read the news if you are in any doubt as to the dire financial crisis that Thai Airways is in.

Your tickets will almost certainly be honoured.

General P is actually addressing the dire consequences that this is having on the coffers. No one else addressed it. Good on him and the Junta.

I am sorry dear, but I have rung my family in Australia and they have checked and said Thai airways have not filed bankruptcy. Isee they are in financial trouble, but no reports of them being broke. My daughter checked the internet as well and alleviated my concerns. Even other posters have said they are not broke.

Please send the link to show me so I can show my family and so I can change tickets as I do not want to take any risks with a bankrupt airline.

• Like 1

There are three Air Chief Marshals on the Board of Directors.................

And there were three Shinawats on board in the last government........

But strangely enough this thread is about Thai Airways and not about the Shinawatra family.

Thai Airways are broke but as they're a national carrier you'll be fine, and just as well. No rumour mongering at all. Read the news if you are in any doubt as to the dire financial crisis that Thai Airways is in.

General P is actually addressing the dire consequences that this is having on the coffers. No one else addressed it. Good on him and the Junta.

Do you even know basic economics? Do you know the difference between making a loss and going bankrupt?

But hey even if it is counter productive it will have the cheerleaders here clapping our dear leaders.

What do you mean by counterproductive?

I explained it but you cut my post, guess I'll try again..

Counterproductive because "free" ticket holders actually have to pay a per mile fee for fuel, a fee for meals and airport taxes themselves. Now they'll just put it through their Thai Airways business expenses and get a 100% refund. Airline is out of money or at best it's useless.

I could also add that since Thai is a member of Star Alliance and agreements are across the whole Alliance a board member can still fly on Lufthansa, or any other Star Alliance company there's really no point.

wait until you have seen the full deck of what happens in the next couple of years before trying to rub peoples noses in this wonderful governance...not

Thanks for the input Nostradamus.

There's about 50 million people willing to take their chances on a better outcome than the pigshit you have been dishing out for the last decade or so.

Seriously, dont you have a better argument than "we're disgraceful criminal pigs but it could be worse"?

Crawl back under your rock and see if you can find a clue there.

I knew there were 2 but thanks for the correct info. Looks like he doesn't mind upsetting people. let's hope he continues in an unbiased way and doesn't overlook anyone close to home. So far he seems to be doing OK although the censorship of no violent views against the military is a bit of an own goal and will do more harm than good.

I'd ask you to elaborate if it wouldn't be deleted for being off topic, but I'm actually curious as to what you meant. Implicit in your response to bkkgooner seems to be the idea that military coups are crucial to development and progress, which is a rather counterintuitive idea on the face of it, but I suppose not untypical of someone who has absorbed a "Thai" view of history - or at least the version of history Thais are generally taught.

Anyway, the junta's economic czar ACM Prajin Juntong, has been chairman of Thai since March. I'm sure he would've sorted it all out regardless of whether the coup happened or not.

Oh what complete and utter rot. 'Gooners post dictates that progress cannot be made without righting all wrongs from past history. A pointless and mischievous position. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge this is reason for the lack of surprise. The fact that you go on to conflate this position with a logical fallacy is further evidence of your apparent dimwitedness and/or malevolent intention.

The writing was on the wall for a long time. Your position was always untenable. It wasnt a question of 'if' it was a question of 'when'. Nothing you can do or say now will change history. History has changed. Your squeals are irrelevant now. Thailand has taken a giant leap for the better. The pigs left squealing are merely an echo to an unfortunate past.

Adapt or die. History will judge you harshly.

Wow.

Your crystal ball needs new batteries.

tongue.png

Do you even know basic economics? Do you know the difference between making a loss and going bankrupt?

I never mentioned bankruptcy, I stated broke. They run at a huge loss and dress it as you will, Thai Airways are broke.

I never mentioned bankruptcy, I stated broke. They run at a huge loss and dress it as you will, Thai Airways are broke.
Google's definition of broke: "having completely run out of money."

That would mean Thai has run out of working capital. Show us a link or shut up!

Edited by pmugghc
  • Like 2

Please Gen Prayuth, for the love of Mary, do not relinquish control back to the Shinawatras. All your good work will be undone in days. The good news just keeps on rolling in, something we have not seen since the dark day that Thaksin ascended to power. Hooray for Gen Prayuth!!

Agree, a quote from a Professor of International Politics for when elections are held in the future.

"To choose the Thaksin regime is to guarantee the death of democracy for Thailand's foreseeable future"

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0529-thompson-thai-coup-20140529-story.html

And that quote went on to say............. To support the army, may, just may, be the only way to restore it. It has been a general historical truth that regimes bringing order at least make a democratic transition possible. The converse is seldom true. Permissive regimes tend to lead to crackdowns that doom enlightened rule.

So if you agree with the Professor of International Politics you must agree that the PTP were a permissive regime. Yet we are constantly told on here that the PTP were a dictatorship - what's it to be?

You're the only one who cares. Your side lost, as we consistently told you they would, so no-one's interested in engaging in your pointless arguments anymore. Try letting go and observing all the good things that are happening to the country now, it might make you feel better...!!

"Your side lost". Really. That implies that your side "won". Um, neither one of you "has a side" cheerleader. Neither of your sides won or lost because you do not have a side to lose or win.

You are barking at the moon and calling your chorus of hounds a choir.

Get over it.

<EDIT> So they are not broke. What you meant to say is that they run at a huge loss. Broke and a huge loss are not the same thing. If your broke you cannot afford to run at a huge loss. Why? Because your broke!!!

You better tell Avionews this as they say Thai airways are not broke. If they were broke they could not fund the 12 billion baht loss last year. Show us the link. You have worried another member on this site with your false rumors. Show us the link that they are broke. I showed you mine that they are not broke. Show me yours that they are?

From Avionews - "Thai Airways could never go broke given the government's 51% stake in the airline. The Minister added that the company, in spit of a loss of about 190 million dollars in the third quarter of 2013, still has a strong liquidity, in addition to a clear plan for debt repayment".

Enid - Ignore this poster. He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Free ticket holders use empty seats

Oh what complete and utter bullshit. Thai Air seats are more often sold out than not - at least up until your amnesty attempt. Many flights were impossible to get a seat unless you were sure to book a few days beforehand on popular routes and times.

Empty seats my ass. If they were taking empty seats they would have taken them on standby within 1 hr of departure. You, sir, are a liar.

There is something called Altea inventory that predicts availability, it allocates inventory (specially free tickets) according to predicted availability of seats. Free tickets are allocated to flights where there is predicted availability other flights are completely closed to free tickets.

I could go into more details, but as usual even though you know ZERO about this you see everybody as an enemy and become aggressive so there's no point.

Also, you keep editing my post down to three words cutting out the explanation, against forum rules I believe and I'd appreciate if you stopped doing that.

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

Most members of any Board Of Directors are grossly over paid and get really big money while workers that actually perform get very little . Eliminate their high salaries and present bonuses. Pay them only if there are profits.

Very true - Applies Internationally!

Please Gen Prayuth, for the love of Mary, do not relinquish control back to the Shinawatras. All your good work will be undone in days. The good news just keeps on rolling in, something we have not seen since the dark day that Thaksin ascended to power. Hooray for Gen Prayuth!!

The people will decide thru voting, not GENERAL PRAYUTH

I would love the General to get all the donations back off Suthep, must be hundreds of plastic bags full of money,that he collected from unlawful protests

It depends on what the donations were for and if they were used for that purpose. Most of the protests, at least early on were lawful.

My last experince on Thai was like being on a Thai tour bus and being served a box lunch. Now one of the worst for International travel. Paid very high prices and got discount airline quality. Thai needs a complete remake of how they present their brand.

Thai used to be a quality carrier. Thanks for the memory Thai. Too bad it is only a memory and nothing like what they now offer.

I wonder if 7-11 is now preparing the meals for Thai?

I fly with Thai from Perth-BKK-Perth all the time and I find it good. Better then the budget or so called Australian airline. Queer And Nasty Try Another Service. The only thing is they have chopped out 2 flights per week at the moment.

I bet the Army was reading TVF before the coup. Because they're addressing pretty much all of the problems being complained about here. Since they are listening, how about those extensions of stay for unmarried under 50's with $$, single proprietor companies for freelancers, getting the PR process up to speed and other immigration pet peeves, eh ?

Maybe all in good time, the downside for some will be a tightening of the rule which will affect all the visa runner. So be careful what you wish for.

It's very good idea again.

Take out these lazy and greedy VIP idiots from every-where and send them work.

Crack down on corrupt police members, gambling, drug, illegal wood-cutting, human trafficking .... too much work for junta, not enough one year.

I'd ask you to elaborate if it wouldn't be deleted for being off topic, but I'm actually curious as to what you meant. Implicit in your response to bkkgooner seems to be the idea that military coups are crucial to development and progress, which is a rather counterintuitive idea on the face of it, but I suppose not untypical of someone who has absorbed a "Thai" view of history - or at least the version of history Thais are generally taught.

Anyway, the junta's economic czar ACM Prajin Juntong, has been chairman of Thai since March. I'm sure he would've sorted it all out regardless of whether the coup happened or not.

Oh what complete and utter rot. 'Gooners post dictates that progress cannot be made without righting all wrongs from past history. A pointless and mischievous position. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge this is reason for the lack of surprise. The fact that you go on to conflate this position with a logical fallacy is further evidence of your apparent dimwitedness and/or malevolent intention.

The writing was on the wall for a long time. Your position was always untenable. It wasnt a question of 'if' it was a question of 'when'. Nothing you can do or say now will change history. History has changed. Your squeals are irrelevant now. Thailand has taken a giant leap for the better. The pigs left squealing are merely an echo to an unfortunate past.

Adapt or die. History will judge you harshly.

Some advocates of the amnesty bill have made very similar arguments about how it's necessary to forget past wrongs in order to move on and I was as against that as I am the coup. You're also making exactly the same argument about "history" that many anti-coup people are making. Indeed, the judgements of posterity can be harsh. But there's no reason to assume history has a logic or a meaning, or that progress is a given. It's all contigent. The truth is no one knows what will happen.

Yes, the effects of the coup may prove positive - although I suspect if this is the case it will be in a paradoxical fashion, not in the way you think - but it's simply far too early to say. I draw on history only as rough guide which can offer useful lessons. And those who are not completely ignorant of Thai history will know that what you're saying now has all been said many times before during past coups... this knowledge tends to precipitate a suspicion that the optimism that you and others are evincing is unfounded. Who knows though, this one could be different from all the others...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My last experince on Thai was like being on a Thai tour bus and being served a box lunch. Now one of the worst for International travel. Paid very high prices and got discount airline quality. Thai needs a complete remake of how they present their brand.

Thai used to be a quality carrier. Thanks for the memory Thai. Too bad it is only a memory and nothing like what they now offer.

You are exaggerating.

Agree. It can always be better, however for those who think THAI is no good have a go on China Southern, China Eastern, China Northern or Lion, Dragon Air.

Nevertheless, board members free trips (assuming non-business) should be suspended when Thailands budget is up the paddy.

And there were three Shinawats on board in the last government........

But strangely enough this thread is about Thai Airways and not about the Shinawatra family.

You're right. Plus of course all the Air Chief Marshals knew about flying when they were appointed which can't be said for the Shins and politics.

• Like 1

Too late. He has already promised to relinquish control back to THAI PEOPLE, what they will choose. Maybe next year you would need to move to North Korea after Prayuth will keep his promise (and I am sure he will).

Well, done, Gen. Prayuth. This is about a transition with the purpose to give the power back to Thais, not like some jaidam farangs hope.

On every Thai flight I have ever been on (Europe / Australia to or from Thailand) there have always been vacant seats. Unless the staff are taking up seats that would otherwise be filled by paying passengers I don't know that it will save money.

The extra administrative costs and the fuel to transport a 70kg person and their 20kg of luggage is negligible so how will it save money?

yes, it's a token gesture. It would be better for them to address the free tickets for family, friends, acquaintances of Thai staff...ie, 20,000 as opposed to the tiny number of board members. What happened to the case of the Senator ( anti-govt ) who pressured Thai into a free ticket for her children to go to moscow on some junket? the same one who appointed her son as her secretary on an inflated public salary?

Do I hear tht faint cry of the child that just realized that Santa claus is not real?????? That Thaksin and the other poilticians that were recently in power were not doing all they could do.

Yes before you say what about the Dems did probably as much harm but at least it was mismanagement by a leader in the country than a self serving exiled criminal.

• Like 2