I have a job that allows me to work from anywhere.

Immigration wouldn't care, its a DOL issue.......

Although work permits are issued by the Department of Labour in practical terms it would be the various police forces that would be responsible for inspections, road blocks, etc and would in reality decide whether to take a case further or turn a blind eye.

SDM

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... You need to be paying taxes somewhere...

Easier to say than to do!

- My origin country tax office told me they are not interested by me anymore since I live permanently in Thailand;

- Thailand taxes office told me they are not interested either as no money is paid in Thailand;

- I can't be paid in Thailand.

So how do I do ?

Carry on flying gloriously under the radar.

Maybe you just need a better accountant.

So far I have managed 57 years without one. It is just in the past 3 months that I have:

1) Had my 15 year old PayPal account in the UK suspended until I proved who I was, with passport, DL, bank statement WITH PROOF OF MY HOME ADDRESS.

2) After notifying the bank that I have had an account with for 25 years of a simple change of address, they are now requesting proof of who I am with passport certification, letter of introduction from my employer (I am self employed), a utility bill in my name (I rent here), WITH PROOF OF MY HOME ADDRESS.

3) And just this morning, four months since she passed away, my late mother's bank has requested that I furnish them with my personal bank details and PROOF OF MY HOME ADDRESS before they will be able to transfer the £2 10/6 that languishes in her now closed account to my sister.

I don't need an accountant. I need a pump-action shotgun!

Let's be straight here: at this point, Thai immigration really does not care about this. I have had informal conversations with high ranking Immigration officers about this issue.

Of course we don't know if this will change but you might get into a motorbike accident and die tomorrow also.

Immigration wouldn't care, its a DOL issue, further which immigration office are you on about about
I think we should be careful and not assume what one immigration officer tells us applies to the whole country, or indeed anyone else in that immigration office, or indeed even to that immigration officer in the near or long future. How many times have we all been told one set of rules by one official to be told another conflicting rule by another.

The fact is that it is illegal to work without a work permit, whether that is paid work or not whilst you are physically within the boundaries that Thai Law covers if you are not a Thai citizen. There is nothing further to add in that point.

However whether or not the authorities would take action against an offender is another matter and something that an individual must decide themselves based on their attitude to risk. If they accept the risk and are caught the defense that someone mentioned on a website that they had an "informal" conversation with a high ranking immigration official somewhere who said that " Thai immigration really does not care about this" would be laughed out of Court. It's akin to the excuse used by school kids " my friend told me to do it". Also in the most unlikely of events let's say this "high ranking " officer were asked by a Court if he did say this, I think we all know what the answer would be.

Many people do all manner of work without a permit and without being caught, many people break the speed limit without being caught, many people commit all types of crimes without being caught. But the one thing they all have in common is that they are law breakers. Personally I don't have a problem with any of these people if they don't affect me, live and let live. But they should not kid themselves that if they are caught that they will be let off with a slap on the wrist only, they might be, but they might also be fined, be fined and deported, be fined, deported and blacklisted. Although they will get some comfort from the fact that pure immigration offenses do not attract the death penalty, so it's not all bad.

SDM

I wouldnt take much notice to " DavidMavec's" post anyway, one suspects he hasn't had any informal conversations with any ranking immigration officers, his comment is the The same as " I have talked to numerous law offices on this subject, my lawyer tells me....blah blah"...".my father in law is a general in the army" "my wife is a thai Chinese hiso etc".....you get the picture

The poster is a walt

Think of it this way, why would one even bring up an informal conversation like this ?...unless you were doing it yourself and you would be sh*t scared to even ask this question in case they nicked you...

Further the rest of his post is written with the maturity of a 13 year old, so based on this alone, one cannot see this poster having informal "chats" with "senior immigration officials"

• Like 2

What is the 'interweb'?

I am constantly getting corrected by people who tell me the "Internet" and the "World Wide Web" are not the same thing (you idiot, you). The Interweb is my way of confessing I don't know care about the difference.

Fair enough. Just checking that I am not missing out on the next big thing (which happens a lot when in ones dotage).

Turnabout being fair play, what's "ones dotage"?

From Merriam-Webster's

dot·age noun \ˈdō-tij\

: the period of old age : the time when a person is old and often less able to remember or do things

Full Definition of DOTAGE

: a state or period of senile decay marked by decline of mental poise and alertness

Example of DOTAGE

"He's now in that stage of his dotage where he has trouble remembering the simplest things."

Origin of DOTAGE

Middle English, from doten to dote

First Known Use: 14th century

Related to DOTAGE

Synonyms: caducity, second childhood, senility

Related Words: anility; decrepitude, feebleness, infirmity; geezerhood, senectitude, senescence.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

NL: Sounds like they keep a close eye on the self-employed in UK just like the IRS does in the US.

Maybe so. But for the past 35 years, they didn't. There was some talk between the demise of the last Labour government and the imcumbent band of thieves about the UK Inland Revenue (or whatever fanciful name they have now) embracing the IRS's global mandate on their citizens wallets.

I think maybe they have just started.

NL: Sounds like they keep a close eye on the self-employed in UK just like the IRS does in the US.

Maybe so. But for the past 35 years, they didn't. There was some talk between the demise of the last Labour government and the imcumbent band of thieves about the UK Inland Revenue (or whatever fanciful name they have now) embracing the IRS's global mandate on their citizens wallets.

I think maybe they have just started.

Maybe it just takes a change of address to trigger a closer look regardless of the government in charge.

Think of it this way, why would one even bring up an informal conversation like this ?...unless you were doing it yourself and you would be sh*t scared to even ask this question in case they nicked you...

Further the rest of his post is written with the maturity of a 13 year old, so based on this alone, one cannot see this poster having informal "chats" with "senior immigration officials"

So typical for you. According to you, Thai law firm are just offering "opinions", others disagreeing with you could not possibly have discussed this with immigration officials or visited DOL or immigration offices. You are a piece of work!

Edited by Timwin

But they should not kid themselves that if they are caught that they will be let off with a slap on the wrist only, they might be, but they might also be fined, be fined and deported, be fined, deported and blacklisted. Although they will get some comfort from the fact that pure immigration offenses do not attract the death penalty, so it's not all bad.

SDM

You and Soutpeel do not offer anything to the discussion. Always the same old scaremongering BS, "They might, might not, blacklisted or not, fined or not...coulda, shoulda. mighta..blah blah blah". You have less info to offer than most of us, just your high and mighty condescending "opinions". Go away, go to the beach or something.

Dear Timwin

Working without a Work Permit in Thailand is illegal, unless you are Thai.

You say I do not bring anything to the discussion, but the discussion is mute, you cannot work without a work permit. It doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks, it is a fact in Law.

If someone breaks the Law, they can be punished, there’s no “coulda, shoulda. mighta..blah blah blah" about it.

I am not actually even sure what you mean.

Could have what ?

Should have what?

Might have what ?

All these questions seem to bear no relevance to the discussion.

In fact your post is purely an attack on Soutpeel and myself and contains nothing of a factual nature with regard to working in Thailand.

I have may have less info to offer than most of you. but let me quote this ;

“If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act……..The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation. Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.”

The quote is from http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php

You say that I am only offering my “high and mighty condescending opinions", but the truth is that I am merely quoting the Law of the land and advising people to do what they wish, but do it knowing the Law and accept the fact that if caught there may be a punishment and what that will be who can say for sure.

I will concede that my quote does say a work permit is required “unless it falls within an exception of the said Act”. If you want to bring something to the discussion why don’t you find out what these exceptions are. That way you will put “scaremongering BS” artists like Soutpeel and I in our place and actually do a great service for the forum, rather than post an unfounded attack of this nature. I would do it but to be honest rather than have time to “go to the beach or something” I am very busy with my work and if it wasn’t for the fact I was having a meeting in the smallest room of my office, I would not have replied.

Have a good day.

SDM

PS Just wanted to add this late entry;

“Whether or not you will need a work permit depends on whether your intended activity actually qualifies as work under the Employment Department's existing definition………… You can not use your retirement visa to apply.” Says Phuket Employment Office, Work Permit Division chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan.

Source; http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1329

Edited by SDM0712

Theres no risk involved, why do you always keep talking about the risk ?

If you have a healthy business in Europe and pay your taxes in that country , Thailand will never get involved . If immigrstion asks me I'm a business owner in Europe. I will tell them my employees work for me in Europe, I get my money from the business.

Nobody in Thailand cares sbout that. So do I get involved ? Yes I assist customers by talking to them on the phone, facebook or skype. From my home, late at night. Nobody cares, its my business in Europe. Thailand should be happy for me spending money in their country.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

But they should not kid themselves that if they are caught that they will be let off with a slap on the wrist only, they might be, but they might also be fined, be fined and deported, be fined, deported and blacklisted. Although they will get some comfort from the fact that pure immigration offenses do not attract the death penalty, so it's not all bad.

SDM

You and Soutpeel do not offer anything to the discussion. Always the same old scaremongering BS, "They might, might not, blacklisted or not, fined or not...coulda, shoulda. mighta..blah blah blah". You have less info to offer than most of us, just your high and mighty condescending "opinions". Go away, go to the beach or something.

Dear Timwin

Working without a Work Permit in Thailand is illegal, unless you are Thai.

You say I do not bring anything to the discussion, but the discussion is mute, you cannot work without a work permit. It doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks, it is a fact in Law.

If someone breaks the Law, they can be punished, there’s no “coulda, shoulda. mighta..blah blah blah" about it.

I am not actually even sure what you mean.

Could have what ?

Should have what?

Might have what ?

All these questions seem to bear no relevance to the discussion.

In fact your post is purely an attack on Soutpeel and myself and contains nothing of a factual nature with regard to working in Thailand.

I have may have less info to offer than most of you. but let me quote this ;

“If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act……..The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation. Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.”

The quote is from http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php

You say that I am only offering my “high and mighty condescending opinions", but the truth is that I am merely quoting the Law of the land and advising people to do what they wish, but do it knowing the Law and accept the fact that if caught there may be a punishment and what that will be who can say for sure.

I will concede that my quote does say a work permit is required “unless it falls within an exception of the said Act”. If you want to bring something to the discussion why don’t you find out what these exceptions are. That way you will put “scaremongering BS” artists like Soutpeel and I in our place and actually do a great service for the forum, rather than post an unfounded attack of this nature. I would do it but to be honest rather than have time to “go to the beach or something” I am very busy with my work and if it wasn’t for the fact I was having a meeting in the smallest room of my office, I would not have replied.

Have a good day.

SDM

PS Just wanted to add this late entry;

“Whether or not you will need a work permit depends on whether your intended activity actually qualifies as work under the Employment Department's existing definition………… You can not use your retirement visa to apply.” Says Phuket Employment Office, Work Permit Division chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan.

Source; http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1329

Don't worry about little Timwin he gets on a soap box on occasions and come out with all kinds of BS,

But I am curious as to what little Timwin has on "offer" seeing as he mentioned it ? My guess nothing

Theres no risk involved, why do you always keep talking about the risk ?

If you have a healthy business in Europe and pay your taxes in that country , Thailand will never get involved . If immigrstion asks me I'm a business owner in Europe. I will tell them my employees work for me in Europe, I get my money from the business.

Nobody in Thailand cares sbout that. So do I get involved ? Yes I assist customers by talking to them on the phone, facebook or skype. From my home, late at night. Nobody cares, its my business in Europe. Thailand should be happy for me spending money in their country.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A person with your credentials is most likely not an 'undesirable' in Thailand, but for every honest hard working businessman there are sure to be many more criminals, claiming to be exactly the same...

Exactly how could a 'Freelance visa' applicant be vetted? Requiring official documents from a person's embassy to prove your status would be a start, add tax clearance etc. but this would immediately close the door to 90% of the potential applicants as most are working under the radar purposefully. My guess is most would continue to work illegally,

The solution for Thailand is to close it's borders and require visas from the passport holders' own country. Consular services would have to be dramatically improved to check legitimacy of applicants but better visas could then be offered.

This is not likely to happen very quickly so the current open border approach will continue, meaning everyone who comes to Thailand is potentially an undesirable, if they wish to stay beyond 'normal tourist' average times.

So many posters complaining about how it should be different does not make a ripple in the ocean that is Thailand; accepting their law and adhering to it is the only choice you have - if you wish to be here in a legal capacity.

If you choose not to be legal then best to shut up about it and not protest so loud someone is forced to take notice. The last thing you should be doing is trying to justify your actions to people who know exactly what you are doing...

Just in case Timlin or anyone else wants to try and find any "exception" in governing Law, here it is, http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0366.pdf

I skimmed it but couldn't find any exceptions.

SDM

The laws and the enforcement of laws are two different things. They could deport all foreign customers of Thai prostitutes if they wanted to. Or arrest everybody not carrying his passport. Or even if you do not stop and sing the national anthem at 18.00. Or for failing to stand up in the movies. Or being too drunk, "menace to the society".

So your "IT IS THE LAW" cries without knowing the actual enforcement policies and in what context they use the law are just useless noise. The police does this all the time, use their judgement. Where to put resources and where not. Call center and other boiler room scammers are obviously high on their list. Some author writing fiction books in a condo is not that important for them.

Find even one case where a nerd or book author or any other type of one man band freelancer working for a customers abroad has been arrested. Can you find even one example?

Most retirees use prostitutes, which is btw illegal in Thailand and still come here to offer their concesdencing BS in work visa matters. "IT IS THE LAW! LAW! LAW! Obey the LAW!". So ridicilous.

I don’t disagree and have no intention of combing past Court cases to see if you are correct. Having said that with regard to the size of Thailand coupled with the level of the non-Thai population I would expect there to be a few examples, not many though I agree.

I also agree that prostitution in Thailand although widespread is illegal but really make it my business not to comment on others, as I said before I’m a firm believer in live and let live.

Perhaps I am taking you out of context but when you quote others, like me, saying“"IT IS THE LAW! LAW! LAW! Obey the LAW!" and then go on to say “So ridiculous.” Do you mean that the Law is ridiculous, or we are ridiculous by pointing out the Law, or to obey the Law is ridiculous. If either of these meanings are correct it is impossible to reason with someone who openly believes Law to be ridiculous. Like it or not the Law of the land has complete power over you and all of us, whatever country we live unless the subject person has diplomatic immunity. To believe Law to be ridiculous is to believe in Anarchy and we only need to look at Somalia to see how that works out.

However, the thread is asking if someone conducting work in another country, whilst physically being in Thailand needs a work permit. It is not concerned with OAP’s using hookers, and good luck to them if they are.

The correct answer is that you do need a work permit, but the reality is that unless someone informs on you, you will never be caught. My clearly completely misunderstood view, by you at least, is merely if this chap wants to work without a permit it is unlikely he will be caught, but if he is caught he may be punished and he should know that. This is correct and undeniable, it is not a matter of opinion and unaffected by people who options do not agree, at the risk of boring even myself, it’s the Law.

SDM

Don't worry about little Timwin he gets on a soap box on occasions and come out with all kinds of BS,

But I am curious as to what little Timwin has on "offer" seeing as he mentioned it ? My guess nothing

Yeah, your "Jail awaits" scaremongering schadenfreude posts are so much better!

Some author writing fiction books in a condo is not that important for them.

Hmm - until said author has an argument with his Thai neighbor about the music being too loud, the dog barking, a parking spot, or his ex girlfriend throws a strop...

I agree completely that immigration is not looking for these people, but if you are unlucky you can be dumped in their lap. That is the risk you take, not forgetting every visit to a border point...

• Like 1

The laws and the enforcement of laws are two different things. …………….

So your "IT IS THE LAW" cries without knowing the actual enforcement policies and in what context they use the law are just useless noise. “

It would seem that you are reading my posts but I am obviously failing to be clear. In fact I have been agreeing with you. It would also seem that I am being very polite, although not receiving the same courtesy from you.

So, and again at the risk of boring even myself (quite an accomplishment as I love the sound of my own voice or in the case words), this is my view.

1. Does a non-Thai need a work permit to work in Thailand, even if is is just sitting at a PC linked to another country. Yes

2. Are they breaking the Law by working in this manner. Yes

3. If they are caught will they be punished by the Thai Authorities. Probably.

4. Will the OP be caught in this work. Probably not

5. Should the OP be aware of the facts in order to make his own informed decision. Yes

I have nothing more to say on the subject, have a good night everyone.

Regards

SDM

• Like 1

At the risk of repeating myself (Again) the real risk to the OPs hopes of living in Thailand isn't being caught working illegally but is being denied re-entry by immigration if they're not happy with his story of how he makes a living.

Obviously having a work permit would remove the need to leave the country & make re-entry easier for when he does.

Then again, why not just overstay, then he'll have no visa worries/expenses? I know it's illegal but what are the chances of him getting caught & what's the harm in him doing it? (For the avoidance of doubt, I am being sarcastic here).

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

It appears a thread like this pops of every so often (perhaps more often recently?) and I think it's clear that the current laws (wether enforced or not) are not designed for the current day and age.

That said; there might a way to solve the problem for freelance/web workers wanting to go legit by obtaining a work permit and paying income taxes in Thailand. We have a registered company in Thailand and we could, theoretically supply internet workers with a work permit. Obviously, this would mean for each work permit we'd have to increase capital and pay additional contributions into the social fund.

To those following this thread and working online, would you be willing to pay a fee to go fully legit and receive a work permit? I am not saying we're actually going to be supplying this service, however I have been playing with the idea for a while, and it seems there is a way to make this work.

Our company does software development and related services, so hiring several foreigners who are doing similar work seems like fair game to me. There were times when I was doing remote development work and was making north of 100.000b a month, during those days I would have been more then happy to pay say 10.000 a month in exchange for a WP and the change to be fully legit...

Thoughts?

It appears a thread like this pops of every so often (perhaps more often recently?) and I think it's clear that the current laws (wether enforced or not) are not designed for the current day and age.

That said; there might a way to solve the problem for freelance/web workers wanting to go legit by obtaining a work permit and paying income taxes in Thailand. We have a registered company in Thailand and we could, theoretically supply internet workers with a work permit. Obviously, this would mean for each work permit we'd have to increase capital and pay additional contributions into the social fund.

To those following this thread and working online, would you be willing to pay a fee to go fully legit and receive a work permit? I am not saying we're actually going to be supplying this service, however I have been playing with the idea for a while, and it seems there is a way to make this work.

Our company does software development and related services, so hiring several foreigners who are doing similar work seems like fair game to me. There were times when I was doing remote development work and was making north of 100.000b a month, during those days I would have been more then happy to pay say 10.000 a month in exchange for a WP and the change to be fully legit...

Thoughts?

Is this not exactly what the BOI companies offer?

I wouldn't know a thing about the legalities, however stating "for each work permit we'd have to increase capital and pay additional contributions into the social fund" sounds over simplistic as there is actually a requirement to hire real people, and you can be forced to provide proof of their workplace and conditions at any time. So if you plan to provide 10 WPs you better start looking at some office space for the 40 Thai workers.

I have worked as an independent most of my career, and even though I have lived full time in Thailand since 2005 I have never worked here as the more I looked into it, the more I decided there were just too many obstacles. Maybe specific to my field; if I were to open a restaurant or bar perhaps it is easier.

Is this not exactly what the BOI companies offer?

I wouldn't know a thing about the legalities, however stating "for each work permit we'd have to increase capital and pay additional contributions into the social fund" sounds over simplistic as there is actually a requirement to hire real people, and you can be forced to provide proof of their workplace and conditions at any time. So if you plan to provide 10 WPs you better start looking at some office space for the 40 Thai workers.

I have worked as an independent most of my career, and even though I have lived full time in Thailand since 2005 I have never worked here as the more I looked into it, the more I decided there were just too many obstacles. Maybe specific to my field; if I were to open a restaurant or bar perhaps it is easier.

Are you saying internet workers aren't "real people" rolleyes.gif Just kidding... I understand what you're saying, and I do need to work on the details of the concept and run it by our lawyer and perhaps other expert. That said, as far as I know, there are no laws dictating foreign workers can't work remotely within Thailand, and it would be fairly easy to arrange a serviced office whenever needed or whenever an official from the labour department would come over for an inspection (which in some cases never happens). As for the Thai employees, no need to get into the nitty gritty of it, we can failly easily facilitate this.

As I said, the concept might need fine tuning and should be reviewed an actual experts (if we ever get that far), but at this point I don't see any hurdles which would make this a non-starter.

Thoughts?

How about setting up a Thb 1.0 million Ltd company, pay their tax, business set up fees, monthly book keeping fees, unemployment contributions, and own medical scheme and costs towards the WP ?

coffee1.gif

How about Belgium playing a super boring football match against Algeria?

Anyways.... Guess I'll bite smile.png

How about setting up a Thb 1.0 million Ltd company, pay their tax, business set up fees, monthly book keeping fees, unemployment contributions, and own medical scheme and costs towards the WP ?

And then what? That's exactly what they'd be doing, or rather what our company would be doing. The only difference would be that one Ltd would be supporting multiple WPs, rather then the additional overhead of setting up god knows how many additional Ltd's for the sole purpose of supporting a WP.

There are no benefits to each individual going through all the hassle of setting up a new Ltd, solely for the purchase of getting a WP. To me, it makes a lot more sense to pool efforts and have a single registered Ltd, one that's already creating Thai jobs and has the infrastructure in place to support multiple WPs.

Each web worker with a WP through this structure would be meeting all the legal requirements, paying taxes, paying into the social fund, etc.

coffee1.gif

How about Belgium playing a super boring football match against Algeria?

Anyways.... Guess I'll bite smile.png

And then what? That's exactly what they'd be doing, or rather what our company would be doing. The only difference would be that one Ltd would be supporting multiple WPs, rather then the additional overhead of setting up god knows how many additional Ltd's for the sole purpose of supporting a WP.

There are no benefits to each individual going through all the hassle of setting up a new Ltd, solely for the purchase of getting a WP. To me, it makes a lot more sense to pool efforts and have a single registered Ltd, one that's already creating Thai jobs and has the infrastructure in place to support multiple WPs.

Each web worker with a WP through this structure would be meeting all the legal requirements, paying taxes, paying into the social fund, etc.

Good idea...this would benefit many people I am sure including Thailand.

My question would be & I am asking from ignorance......

Does a WP limit a person to a particular job?... or with a WP for this could someone also open another business?...like a store, etc.

My work permit covers my day job, however I use various investment platforms for trading from my home. One buy or sell a month, am I therefor working ilegally. Its propostrous to even contemplate.

It depends if you are selling your own investments or acting for other people.

Are you working illegally? I've posted the relevant law which you are subject to while you are in Thailand. Why don't you have read through and decide yourself if you are breaking it. It may very well be that you are not.

However, I am just picturing the scene, in the unlikely event you are caught, arrested and taken to Court. Will you tell the police "Its propostrous to even contemplate " or the Judge " Its propostrous to even contemplate"

In reality most people will use the defence "I didn't know", although as we say in the UK, ignorance is no excuse of breaking the Law and has no impact on the punishment.

SDM

^ I understand that WP's are both job and location 'locked'. You can't be gogo bar manager TEFL'er and moonlight as the CEO of myownsuperwebdesigncompany.com

Correct, mine has a very specific description of what I can do.

SDM