I have a job that allows me to work from anywhere.

The ''Ed visa'' if used for the purpose of ''education'' is totally legitimate.

However if the Ed visa is being used to further ones stay in the country without actually attending an accredited Thai language culture course you are in fact here illegally .

One cannot work it is all about education. You need to be attending a school and furthering your studies concerning things Thai.

The word is (as yet unconfirmed) that those who renew their Ed visa will be expected to do so by completing the details in Thai only, the paperwork will be in Thai only, thus in fact it is a calculated assessment of ones actual progress in Thai. No ability, no visa, you'll have to exit Thailand.

However as said not as yet confirmed but I'll think you'll find the situation will be coming soon.

You don't have to study Thai on an Ed. visa!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the way is to get the business big outside Thailand so that you can afford the Thai prerequisites for establishing a business in Thailand and hope that there won't be any tough business times with smaller revenue.

As a supervisor you still cannot work because you don't have a work permit.

Did I get that right?

So you are allowed to supervise but not allowed to initiate sales?

Forget about coming to Thailand to initiate sales within Thailand. If you have contracts ex-Thailand that you can sub-contract within Thailand, you might qualify for for a Non-IMM 'B' for 'Conducting Business' that does not require a work permit that might give you at least one year -- issued from your home country. Minimal supervision might be considered a part-&-parcel of sub-contracting without being considered work.

Ok, so the way is to get the business big outside Thailand so that you can afford the Thai prerequisites for establishing a business in Thailand and hope that there won't be any tough business times with smaller revenue.

As a supervisor you still cannot work because you don't have a work permit.

Did I get that right?

So you are allowed to supervise but not allowed to initiate sales?

Your not allowed to work without a work permit , supervisor or not, nothing to do with supervising or initiating sales

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The title of your post is wrong....

It should read:

'I have a job that allows me to work from almost anywhere, Thailand being one exception'

If you have an 'on-line' job, then it illegal to perform that work whilst in Thailand, unless you have a work permit. (which you cannot get as a 'freelancer').

Or as a student.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But how does that help foreign people in establishing a small company in Thailand then and work?

Such as my Thai spouse can do in Europe from day 1 on without any problem.

Every country has different thinking and policies / procedures about this subject.

No point whatever to compare to other countries, and the Thai attitude to foreigners working here and the procedures is very unlikely to change.

Edited by scorecard

I know there is no point in it if you think about things changing.

Nothing is changing in Thailand in the near future regarding this topic since there is no political will to do so.

In my opinion this is a big mistake ... especially in regards to ASEAN and upcoming neighboring countries with more small-business-friendly politics.

Still, it is an interesting topic. And why should we not argue about it.

Non-Amercians are arguing about the US weapon laws for example and compaing them to Europe. Can they change them? No.

So we talk about many things we cannot change every day. Thanks god we still do.

• Like 1

I will disagree with some of the above: If you are someone who can realistically bring work into Thailand that you will sub-contract to existing Thai entities, I think you will find a lot of support from several Thai sectors prior to the point where you can set up your own operation.

Yes, indeed, it is usually a very good idea to go to any foreign country and break their laws and expect no repercussions. I think that your logic is right on target....come on over....give it a shot....what have you got to lose? After all, you are too young to retire so why no try some time in a Thai jail.

Yup your American

• Like 1

If the OP doesn't work for a Thai entity, doesn't get paid in Thailand, doesn't get the money into a Thai bank, how could one say he is working here? He is merely shaking his fists and randomly tapping something on the keyboard, just like drinking water or eating from a plate.

Conversely, if someone somewhere, even if not in Thailand is paying him for his efforts here in Thailand, how can you say he is not working? Why would someone pay him if he is not working? Is someone paying him to eat and drink?

Edited by JLCrab

If the OP chooses to do what you sound like you want to do, you’ll be one of thousands of foreigners making their living on the interweb in Thailand. They’re working illegally, but as it stands they have very low probability of getting caught and deported as long as they keep it on the interweb.

Plenty of ways to stay in country on ED visa’s etc. But they don’t make it legal to work in Thailand.

I’m not passing any judgment on the morality of the plan.

But I would suggest you read some of the recent forums where loopholes are closing on various “vacation extension” schemes. Unless you want to be one of the guys sweating bullets when your particular loophole gets closed, I’d suggest you think carefully about what investments you’ll make here.

I know it’s tempting to buy a 3 million baht car, or a 2 million baht scooter, or a 5 million baht condo or two, or a 6 million baht bar or hotel, or a ?? million baht Thai family.

But I’d suggest one of your first investments be to get legal. It’s not that tough. And it costs less than the other “investments” the visa dodgers hold out as proof positive of their commitment to Thailand. And when the loopholes close, you’ll still be legal, and possibly quite profitable.

Talk to a lawyer and figure out how to get legal. With a USA passport, look into the Amity treaty which gives you some preferential treatment for setting up a business.

Hopefully, you’ll still like the place after the new wears off (and it will). And if you do fall in love with the place, I’d hate to read yet another story about a guy that can’t visit his 5 million baht worth of toys because he can’t seem to get back into the country now that his nestegg is gone and they’ve closed all the cheap loopholes.

And sooner or later, Thailand is going to do a deal with the NSA (and the IRS) to catch all the interweb guys working illegally from Thailand- if only to get the taxes they should have been paying.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I am sure most of the people working on the "interweb" are paying taxes.

They are paying taxes in their country of origin.

They would like to pay the teaxes in Thailand instead if the Thai government would open them a legal way to start small and eventually grow.

• Like 1

Most countries don't tax their people living overseas.

The USA is an exception, and even they don't tax the first $100K (or so) of their citizens working full time overseas. (Yeah, I know that's oversimplified)

So- no, most foreigners working the interweb in Thailand aren't paying taxes anywhere.

And Thailand will gladly accept taxes from foreigners here.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Interesting. I know what you mean.

But this is only for people who are officially working in another country, isn't it?

I mean, if you dont work in the US or Germany beacuse you stay in Thailand ... but inofficially you are working from Thailand in the interweb ... but you don't have a business in the US and you don't have one in Thailand .. then on what legal ground do you write invoices to your customer in let's say the US.

Am I missing something here or am I too naive in this?

For a US citizen, they can simply deposit it into their US bank account and report it as income.

Then when they file their taxes, they prove they qualify for the expat tax exemption of the first $100K (or so) by virtue of either being out of the country for 335 days or more in any 12 month period, or having a qualifying foreign job complete with papers from their host country, tax receipts, etc. (Once again, oversimplified)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and Canucks just tell their countries' tax collectors to "bugger off- I don't live there". I may be wrong on that one. To a Yank, that sounds too good to be true.

Edited by impulse

If you want to work in Thailand get a Non-"B" visa. Be it online or whatnot.

Doing so through other means like a Ed visa without actually studying, or a Tourist Visa, will be abusing the system. I cannot condone, or neither should anyone here, condone such action. For doing so, will only result in more crackdown.

You can't work on a B visa either
since when? I have been for 8 years never been an issue renewing my wp with my non b visa ever

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting again.

But what about the US companies that hire somebody for let's say a small web design project?

Don't they want or need a proper invoice from an official business entity whether it is a small one-man-company or a big corporation?

I am confused ;-)

• Like 1

Doing so through other means like a Ed visa without actually studying, or a Tourist Visa, will be abusing the system. I cannot condone, or neither should anyone here, condone such action. For doing so, will only result in more crackdown.

since when? I have been for 8 years never been an issue renewing my wp with my non b visa ever

What he meant was that a non-b visa alone does not allow you to work. Only a work permit allows you to work.

Anyone have experience with finding a phone that works in the USA and Thailand? I met someone in Patong who told me that TMobile phones can use USA and Thai SIMs but he was from Austria so I hoping to find someone from the USA that has done it.

I am going to assume here that you want people from the USA who call to think you are still in the US and as such can charge USA rates?

Research roaming rates, they are usually exorbitant. If you get a lot of calls from the same people use Skype as it also works on mobile phones and is cheaper for them. If you get calls one off from many people consider a USA based virtual office who will forward your call using a land-line to Thailand. Depends on costs and volume.

Get a 2 month double entry tourist visa at Savannakhet, or Vientiane Laos...then you get 2 months...then go to Thai immigration office and extend 1 month for 1900 baht..then you have to leave the country...go to Cambodia...cross the border...check the date on your 2 month visa in passport & enter Thailand before that date for 2nd part of double entry on your 2 month visa.

Then you have another 2 months..repeat process for extension at Thai immigration..for another 30 days @ 1900 baht. = 6 months ( roughly )

Repeat process for another 6 months.

Visa at border for Cambodia is 1 month..bring US dollars...don't know about Myanmar.

Education visa is a good way...check at school if you can get Education visa.

Get a international phone card.

Avoid Overstay.

You forgot to mention, " don't work illegally."

Yes he can, if he apply for work permit.

My question is hypothetical and not really helpful to the OP but related none the less... but what if someone is living here on a spouse visa?

Can they technically work over the internet "in home country" while living in Thailand on the spouse visa?

What if their job is over the internet, registered and paid to home country bank accounts, taxes paid in home country etc. They just transfer money to themselves here?

Globalization and the internet, making everything gloriously complex. laugh.png

I think we are all adult and intelligent enough to know that you are not taking a job away from a Thai, are not doing business in Thailand so in effect are not working in Thailand

Who are you talking about?

who really do ever met somebody who got problems working online outside thailand? i guess nobody!

everybody who answer emails, make a bussiness plan, take with friends about work, telefon calls, or write a book,

while in thailand would work illegal here. i guess about 3 Million tourists would be break the law.

If you work in Thailand, whatever the work is, online or even just voluntary work, you need a WORK PERMIT!

If you get paid for the work in Thailand you will need to pay tax in Thailand. Simple. If you get paid overseas then the double taxation agreement between the USA and Thailand will mean you don't have to pay tax in Thailand IF YOU PAY TAX IN THE USA. If you don't pay tax on it in the USA, then you must pay tax on it in Thailand.

If you don't do these things you are breaking the law twice big time, and if you get caught there will be at least a big fine and banning from the country. Don't let other people tell you any different.

• Like 1

who really do ever met somebody who got problems working online outside thailand? i guess nobody!

everybody who answer emails, make a bussiness plan, take with friends about work, telefon calls, or write a book,

while in thailand would work illegal here. i guess about 3 Million tourists would be break the law.

Not true. Work is an activity where you get paid for it, or you are doing a job, paid or not, eg voluntary work.

Effort is not the same as work, so emailing etc do not count.

Remember all online activities can be traced and characterised if ever there is an investigation..

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

If you work in Thailand, whatever the work is, online or even just voluntary work, you need a WORK PERMIT!

If you get paid for the work in Thailand you will need to pay tax in Thailand. Simple. If you get paid overseas then the double taxation agreement between the USA and Thailand will mean you don't have to pay tax in Thailand IF YOU PAY TAX IN THE USA. If you don't pay tax on it in the USA, then you must pay tax on it in Thailand.

If you don't do these things you are breaking the law twice big time, and if you get caught there will be at least a big fine and banning from the country. Don't let other people tell you any different.

My work permit covers my day job, however I use various investment platforms for trading from my home. One buy or sell a month, am I therefor working ilegally. Its propostrous to even contemplate.

No, he can't, unless and until he gets the work permit. A pending work permit application is not a legal permission to work, as far as I know.

No, he can't, unless and until he gets the work permit. A pending work permit application is not a legal permission to work, as far as I know.

believe that to be true