I have a job that allows me to work from anywhere.

I just got back from 30 days in Patong and the only thing on my mind has been getting back to there. I am a US citizen that is no where near retirement but I have a job that allows me to work anywhere I have internet access. I would like to return to Thailand with the option of staying 6 months to indefinitely and work from Thailand.

I spoke to expats in Thailand and they mentioned the 30 day border hop to renew the visa. From posts I've read on this board it sounds like they're cracking down people doing that. I'd like to stay as legitimately as possible and not have to bend any rules. Because I'm a naive American I just assumed they would let me into Thailand so the last trip I entered 'Visa on Arrival' so I dont know anything about obtaining a Visa. Would a real Visa allow me to stay longer?

Some data...

1. I am very interested in learning Thai and have considered the ED Visa but other than it exists I know nothing about it. (does this school qualify? http://www.phuket-languageschool.com/ )

2. I plan on making 1 week trips to Cambodia and Myanmar at some point (do I need to obtain Visa's for these short trips?).

Anyone have experience with finding a phone that works in the USA and Thailand? I met someone in Patong who told me that TMobile phones can use USA and Thai SIMs but he was from Austria so I hoping to find someone from the USA that has done it.

I also read a post on here about people who just stayed in Thailand past their visa date. Is it really only a 20,000 bht fine? What are the risks with doing that?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overstaying is a bad, bad idea from what I understand. I think it involves jail time and blacklisting if you get caught before you leave.

I'm going over on an non-o visa with an ED extension at the end of the year. However, I'll be living off of my husband's salary from abroad and won't be working at all.

If you find a qualified school, they will handle all of the visa paperwork for you. That being said, you cannot legally work on an ED extension. Even if it's over the internet and doesn't involve a Thai company.

This comes from hours of internet research and some really nice people giving advice here on TV - do it legally or don't do it all. biggrin.png

ED visa will work, you would have to purchase reentry permits to keep your permission to stay alive for your trips, Single 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht.

A triple entry tourist visa will also work as you can get almost 270 days permission to stay if it is purchased just prior to your departure and used correctly. You would have to make two border runs and three 30 day extensions, cost 1900 baht each. When making a border run you have to enter the neighboring country so visas are required but can be purchased at the border crossings. Myanmar, 500 baht; Laos, $36; Cambodia, $20; Malaysia, free.

30 day visa exempt entries are not advisable.

You can not legally work on either the ED, Tourist visa or visa exempt entries..

The ''Ed visa'' if used for the purpose of ''education'' is totally legitimate.

However if the Ed visa is being used to further ones stay in the country without actually attending an accredited Thai language culture course you are in fact here illegally .

One cannot work it is all about education. You need to be attending a school and furthering your studies concerning things Thai.

The word is (as yet unconfirmed) that those who renew their Ed visa will be expected to do so by completing the details in Thai only, the paperwork will be in Thai only, thus in fact it is a calculated assessment of ones actual progress in Thai. No ability, no visa, you'll have to exit Thailand.

However as said not as yet confirmed but I'll think you'll find the situation will be coming soon.

Edited by siampolee

Get a 2 month double entry tourist visa at Savannakhet, or Vientiane Laos...then you get 2 months...then go to Thai immigration office and extend 1 month for 1900 baht..then you have to leave the country...go to Cambodia...cross the border...check the date on your 2 month visa in passport & enter Thailand before that date for 2nd part of double entry on your 2 month visa.

Then you have another 2 months..repeat process for extension at Thai immigration..for another 30 days @ 1900 baht. = 6 months ( roughly )

Repeat process for another 6 months.

Visa at border for Cambodia is 1 month..bring US dollars...don't know about Myanmar.

Education visa is a good way...check at school if you can get Education visa.

Get a international phone card.

Avoid Overstay.

Edited by iphad

The title of your post is wrong....

It should read:

'I have a job that allows me to work from almost anywhere, Thailand being one exception'

If you have an 'on-line' job, then it illegal to perform that work whilst in Thailand, unless you have a work permit. (which you cannot get as a 'freelancer').

• Like 2

If you want to work in Thailand get a Non-"B" visa. Be it online or whatnot.

Doing so through other means like a Ed visa without actually studying, or a Tourist Visa, will be abusing the system. I cannot condone, or neither should anyone here, condone such action. For doing so, will only result in more crackdown.

If you want to work in Thailand get a Non-"B" visa. Be it online or whatnot.

Doing so through other means like a Ed visa without actually studying, or a Tourist Visa, will be abusing the system. I cannot condone, or neither should anyone here, condone such action. For doing so, will only result in more crackdown.

You can't work on a B visa either

• Like 1

Apparently can work freelance if one pays taxes of a large percentage..

The phone, no way without huge roaming fees.Just get a Thai phone near the airport.

Skype works great on a smartphone.

The reason people do visa runs every sixty to ninety or 270 days is so as not to overstay.

Dont even consider overstaying more than a few days. The fine is minimal on circumstances beyond one's control..have fun, good luck!

alohz

My question is hypothetical and not really helpful to the OP but related none the less... but what if someone is living here on a spouse visa?

Can they technically work over the internet "in home country" while living in Thailand on the spouse visa?

What if their job is over the internet, registered and paid to home country bank accounts, taxes paid in home country etc. They just transfer money to themselves here?

Globalization and the internet, making everything gloriously complex. laugh.png

Edited by suayjintanakarn

My question is hypothetical and not really helpful to the OP but related none the less... but what if someone is living here on a spouse visa?

Can they technically work over the internet "in home country" while living in Thailand on the spouse visa?

What if their job is over the internet, registered and paid to home country bank accounts, taxes paid in home country etc. They just transfer money to themselves here?

What is a spouse visa?

If you mean a visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai there would be no difference. The only thing that allows you to work legally is a work permit.

• Like 1

I think we are all adult and intelligent enough to know that you are not taking a job away from a Thai, are not doing business in Thailand so in effect are not working in Thailand

• Like 1

It is no matter that you are not, in your opinion, taking a job away from a Thai citizen. The Thai government is encouraging foreign entities to invest in the on line services and support sector. It provides a disincentive to those potential investments if someone can come here and with no investment or employment of Thai citizens set up shop to do the same.

• Like 1

Don't know about the WP or which Visa you need but the phone is easy. You'll need a unlocked quad band phone w/ dual SIM. Also a US service plan that allows "roaming". The quad band needs to work on both SIMs G3 or G4. Dual SIMs: one for US number and one for a Thai number. Cost anywhere from $150-250 US. Roaming is cheaper than buying International calling. Different plans in Europe from what I have read.

Start here for phones: http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-best-dual-SIM-phones_id32596

Edited by Mrjlh

I think we are all adult and intelligent enough to know that you are not taking a job away from a Thai, are not doing business in Thailand so in effect are not working in Thailand

Neither is unpaid volunteering, but that also requires a work permit.

• Like 1

Don't know about the WP or which Visa you need but the phone is easy. You'll need a unlocked quad band phone w/ dual SIM. Also a US service plan that allows "roaming". The quad band needs to work on both SIMs G3 or G4. Dual SIMs: one for US number and one for a Thai number. Cost anywhere from $150-250 US. Roaming is cheaper than buying International calling. Different plans in Europe from what I have read.

Start here for phones: http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-best-dual-SIM-phones_id32596

Roaming is cheaper than International calling? Roaming is cheaper than 1 baht per minute is it ? Really?

Neither is unpaid volunteering, but that also requires a work permit.

I see this a little bite different.

Volunteering and helping, for example, buildind a school or teaching a language is taking away jobs from locals.

Working from home on the internet solely for customers outside of Thailand rarely takes away jobs from Thais.

I know this is not relevant since the only thing that matters is the local law.

Still, my Thai partner is entitled to work from day 1 one in Europe.

No problem but pay taxes.

Starting as a small 1-(wo)man-show in Thailand, let's say in webdesign, does not involve bringing big money to Thailand at the beginning.

But it does not harm either.

And a 1-man-show can become bigger by legally subcontracting to locals, networking with them and then maybe after a certain time having the need to employ Thai people.

But this is not possible in Thailand.

Remember how Microsoft and Apple started? ;-)

Roaming is cheaper than International calling? Roaming is cheaper than 1 baht per minute is it ? Really?

Last time I checked International rates were all over the place depending on where you are located when you buy it. Depends on what country your calling to or from. It's not as simple as just being the cheapest. You pay for what you get. You say 1 baht. That's 3 cents US and several cards are now at 1 cent. But will they work at or from your location? Roaming is sometimes thrown in for a package deal and can be free up to set minutes limit. Depends totally on the service provider. Not just an easy answer.

You can argue the point all day long, it is or isnt, its law , its not breaking it, etc, but what really matters which is undeniable, is the person who is interpreting said law on the day. The person in uniform possibly putting you in handcuffs, thats what matters.

If you dont speak fluent Thai, do you think that person is going to careless about anything you have to say, no, he's going to follow his orders and you can argue the point later, through a lawyer, to your hearts content and apply all your western arguments, but that wont detract from what may happen on the day if you are reported for working without a permit.

The real question is, are you prepared for what might happen, can you handle the possible consequences.

The logical and to me sensible answer is dont do it.

But you can go ahead and talk yourself into whatever you think is right but be prepared if you end up being wrong.

• Like 2

So then even US citizens are not privileged regarding this.

Back to the example:

One farang webdesigner - 4 Thai employees = starting a small company in Thailand like this makes no sense because of the initial costs while being a small startup.

Benefit given to this potential small startup by the Thai government: A permission to stay and work legally. So not really much.

Potential long term benefit for the Thai country might be much bigger though if the startup start to subcontract and grow.

If not then not much harm done.

(Revised)

If you can generate enough business ex-Thailand which you sub-contract to Thai website developers, then eventually you can set-up your own company with the requisite Thai employees to supervise all those contracts.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1