The Londoner is closing

millwall_fan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Swan is moving to Soi 15 next month.

Bummer, the current location is right next to my girlfriends Fitness studio. She lifts weights, I lift pints of IPA. Perfect!

Hemingways is not far....don't they have Punk IPA?

Never been but I'll give it a try when I am in BKK next week. Thanks, smokiethumbsup.gif

Robin Hood is the pub I frequent most when in Bkk!

Decent food, beer, wine and staff! wink.png

The service is quite decent at the Hood, although the staff never look particularly happy. And I don't see that customers at the Hood are terribly hard to please or difficult, unlike some customers at the Londoner, some of whom were right pxxxks. But that was mostly on 2-for-1 Wednesdays, which may explain when poster Bergen was there. Wednesdays were a zoo with TEFLers, students and beer louts. I stopped going there on 2-for-1 nights.

As for when the Londoner will open, a very highly placed staff member who joins my crew for late night drinks still can't tell us either. This was only last week.

Don't go for the apple pie and custard at the Robin Hood though, it's horrible

The manager has a unique way of dealing with complaints on Trip Advisor!

Unique maybe, but not very professional.

There is new manager at the Robin Hood now. I don't think he has made any replies to any posts on trip adviser since he has been there.

As for the staff they are nice enough but its true they don't smile that often, but do false smiles really mean that much to people ?

Some of the crowd from the Londoner now frequent the RH, must be the same lot you mention Kaoboi as they are definitely a bunch of pricks.

Edited by draftvader
Removing all bold formatting

There is new manager at the Robin Hood now. I don't think he has made any replies to any posts on trip adviser since he has been there.

As for the staff they are nice enough but its true they don't smile that often, but do false smiles really mean that much to people ?

Some of the crowd from the Londoner now frequent the RH, must be the same lot you mention Kaoboi as they are definitely a bunch of pricks.

This was from January - a classic!

Thank you for recognising that our fish is extremely fresh and tasty. I was surprised that it 'leapt' right off your plate, however, as we do make a habit of cooking the cod before we serve it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2082011-Reviews-The_Robin_Hood_Pub-Bangkok.html

This was from January - a classic!

Thank you for recognising that our fish is extremely fresh and tasty. I was surprised that it 'leapt' right off your plate, however, as we do make a habit of cooking the cod before we serve it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2082011-Reviews-The_Robin_Hood_Pub-Bangkok.html

That would have been Wayne the old manager. He used to give customers either their money back or a voucher for another meal if they complained to him. Which is what someone should do if they are unhappy with the food. Those that choose to go straight to the computer and complain got a moan back.

Edited by berybert

I noticed they seemed to have a new manager in the Robin Hood when I was in recently.

Service has always been decent IME. Not out this world but not bad either. As good as you'll get in most places in Bangkok.

Food is also pretty good across the board from the burgers to lasagna to the piri piri chicken. Nice portions. Decent chips too, that's something I always want when I go to an expat pub - some proper chips (not french fries or potato wedges as some other pubs do).

And 99B a pint all day and night is always welcome.

I like to sit outside with a pal of mine in the afternoon and polish off a few pints of Carlsberg.

This message is for the loud American who often pollutes the outside terrace area.....

Will you <deleted>....you are a whiny irritating wee nyaff!

Ahh now I feel better hehe....

It seems The Londoner's website is down and there are no new updates on their FB page. Apart from Kaoboi's snippet above, has anyone else heard anything regarding a re-opening date. The last time I looked at their website it said March 2015. Now they've gone 'off air'

It seems The Londoner's website is down and there are no new updates on their FB page. Apart from Kaoboi's snippet above, has anyone else heard anything regarding a re-opening date. The last time I looked at their website it said March 2015. Now they've gone 'off air'

When I wandered past their supposed new location in Pattanakan last month I saw no signs of any pub being constructed sadly.

When I wandered past their supposed new location in Pattanakan last month I saw no signs of any pub being constructed sadly.

If you drive up Pattanakarn from Petchburi Road - on the right hand side around Soi 30 Pattanakarn if I recall correctly - you will see quite a large construction site directly on the main road - with large "JST" signs as the Site Manager / Main Contractor, whatever.

I guess that's the new site for the Londoner, along with an Office Development etc.; it's still rather "bare bones" looking but JS was always a lot more noise than actual results!

Patrick

If you drive up Pattanakarn from Petchburi Road - on the right hand side around Soi 30 Pattanakarn if I recall correctly - you will see quite a large construction site directly on the main road - with large "JST" signs as the Site Manager / Main Contractor, whatever.

I guess that's the new site for the Londoner, along with an Office Development etc.; it's still rather "bare bones" looking but JS was always a lot more noise than actual results!

Patrick

Yes I mentioned that site on another post...but its not clear what it is going to be.

Hopefully the pub will appear!

saw a bloke in RH really having a go at a waitress for serving him 'old' Phuket beer, she just pointed to a group of cops drinking upstairs and told him to tell them, he shut his big mouth up!

So the new attitude (supported by Jackie) is:- drink your out of date beer and look happy about it, shut up and pay up. Customer feedback is no longer required.

Pathetic alehouse anyway, though as has been said they do have some good offers going.

Yes, amazingly, not everything agrees that it's the bestest pub anyone has ever been in!!

He reacts like a spoilt kid when someone kicked over his toys. Not particularly professional although his 'normal' responses in which he re-iterates or highlights their promotions are a good idea

And there FB page hasn't been updated since November.

I thought the food was decent for those rare times I fancy some pub grub but the service was hit and miss. Though this seems to be common with these English-styled Pubs; it is my pet hate at my regular, the Black Swan.

Went into the Black Swan once.

No drinks price list visible and when I asked for one they said they didn't have one.

Sounds like they just make it up on the spot depending on how much they think you will pay.

I smiled politely and left never to return

im sure neither the regulars nor the staff and management have noticed your passing.

Yes, amazingly, not everything agrees that it's the bestest pub anyone has ever been in!!

He reacts like a spoilt kid when someone kicked over his toys. Not particularly professional although his 'normal' responses in which he re-iterates or highlights their promotions are a good idea

Right, but as someone else pointed out above, a new manager is in place, only coming onboard a couple of weeks ago. He used to manage what is now the Royal Oak -- the old name escapes me.

I have to admit, I like the manager's humor. Another cracker from Robin Hood (in response to a silly customer):

Oh look out everyone, the salad police have arrived. It astounds me that you sat watching the clock while your food was prepared as you know the timings down to the second.

Seriously, come on. You are sat in a comfortable bar on the most expensive road in Thailand. We have excellent promotions and we are consistently full of happy customers who are relaxing and enjoying themselves.

And there you are getting all tense, watching the clock and feeling the need to explain to the world via TripAdvisor that your salad was assembled the wrong way.

Superb.

Edited by Water Buffalo

Right, but as someone else pointed out above, a new manager is in place, only coming onboard a couple of weeks ago. He used to manage what is now the Royal Oak -- the old name escapes me.

Billy? A good "geezer" but a Spurs fan :o

Bulls Head

And there FB page hasn't been updated since November.

I thought the food was decent for those rare times I fancy some pub grub but the service was hit and miss. Though this seems to be common with these English-styled Pubs; it is my pet hate at my regular, the Black Swan.

Went into the Black Swan once.

No drinks price list visible and when I asked for one they said they didn't have one.

Sounds like they just make it up on the spot depending on how much they think you will pay.

I smiled politely and left never to return

im sure neither the regulars nor the staff and management have noticed your passing.

and I certainly don't miss them tongue.png plenty of good watering holes around town

The new manager at the Robin Hood is a Spurs fan?

He'll do well!

I must drop by for a beer with tigerfish soon...hehe

haha very funny smokes, just be sure to warn your fellow spuds to take some tissues with them when they try and find their way to Wembley tomorrow. it's been such a long time they may get a nose bleed ! tongue.png

as for the new location for the Londoner, i can't think of why they would go for anywhere around Phattanakarn soi 30. i live just down the road and the only attraction i can think of a long that stretch of road before you hit Srinakarin is a very large hi - end massage parlour and two clubs on either side of the road frequented by Thais. one being a Morlam music venue and the other a Twawendeng music club.