Good reason for having a CarCam

Daffy D

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of posts have been removed also one reply.

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

Also, it would be nice if certain people actually read it and saw it from the humorous way a certain quote was written... It's why we use smileys yet some still don't get and end up coming back with a retort...

Total sense of humour failure beforehand added to the fact the he couldn't bare to be proven wrong...

It all about attitude, not altitude...

Thank you, Rimmer.

Just trying to have some funnnn funnnn funnnnnnnnn, in the sunnn sunnn sunnnnnnnnnn

I'm a BIG fan too :D

And your favourite episodes are?

Edited by Porkster

Yesterday i was passed by two stupid looking vehicle conversions.

1) A pick up truck with back wheels sticking out about 6 ins both sides of truck width, whilst the front ones seemed to be a little inside the wheel arch.

2) One of these common small boxy 4x4 sedans, with massivly high wheels sitting the vehicle about 4 ft off the ground.

Are there any knowledge able persons here that could pass comment on the effects of these silly looking conversions.

1) A pick up truck with back wheels sticking out about 6 ins both sides of truck width, whilst the front ones seemed to be a little inside the wheel arch.

2) One of these common small boxy 4x4 sedans, with massivly high wheels sitting the vehicle about 4 ft off the ground.

Are there any knowledge able persons here that could pass comment on the effects of these silly looking conversions.

easy

#1 Drag racing wanna be

#2 So he can see better when passing you.

I showed this video to my Thai wife. I complained about the bad driving, including the camera car crossing the centre reservation shown in yellow hatched lines. She said "You are in Thailand, we are Buddhists you shouldn't complain about people's driving, Thai people just have a different technique". Just then the camera car crashes into the black pickup. I said "look at that, that's bad driving". She said, "No it isn't it is just end of technique!" I said "What do you mean?" She said, "End of technique, next time they will try another technique! That's why we say T.I.T!

If it wasn't for the tragic situation, I'd be belly laughing about the 'different technique' you were offered as explanation. It's a bit like "the operation was a perfect success, but the patient died". What do you do? Restart the game and try again? Actually, as I write that I can think of a few people who would say yes, but that would be going off topic. It was a nasty smash, and I'm not sure I would have got out of that situation myself without at least some grazes even if I were the cam driver, let alone the first impact recipient - though I would have been going slower and been in the left lane that's for sure, *and* I would absolutely insist that if I had passengers, they'd all be wearing seat belts before even starting the engine (unless they want to walk). If taking evasive manoeuvres, would I already have all other vehicles and obstacles around me mentally mapped so I didn't need to look around? Probably not, as there's no lane discipline here that can be relied on. Crossing yellow lines just makes the yellow line maker into someone who wasted their time trying to stop people from hurting themselves.

There's a couple of references mentioning that camera recordings make things look faster than normal, and I have no experience on that so have to defer, but watching it pre-accident, I did find myself lurching and wincing in my chair as various concrete things whizzed by (in UK I wasn't a slow driver, and broke the speed limits as a permanent routine for >1,000,000kms without incident (but that was in an environment that statistically you can make some assumptions, not the same here). Over here I'm a 'no sharp moves' gentle driver when in a car, and on a scooter I have a different programme again. Even on a mountain bike (on mountains where you're expecting shock occurrences), or just walking in the city, I make my own rule of "fastest mover makes the decisions - don't add new variables to their situation" (yet I've had a couple of incidents off road where a walker grabs their dog and jumps into a lake because they're not looking more than 2 metres ahead, whereas a fast mover will be reading the road way way ahead) - Don't think that would have helped here though, as the prime starter wasn't in control and probably going lock to lock on the steering wheel a few times.

My last car in UK was a small Clio with pretty decent power for its small weight, but the selling point that made me go for an otherwise average badly assembled car, was that it's 60 to zero mph could stop it better than a 911, so when things got sticky, I could just hit the brakes hard, and keep my eye in the rear view mirror to see who would run into me first, then adjust deceleration to balance any potential impact fore and aft. Over here I got a Fortuner, and it couldn't stop for toffee, it would lock up (the front) on the slightest piece of gravel or hin, and it's no small piece of metal for a responsible person to be hurtling around live people. Unladen trucks need a responsible driver...well all vehicles need a responsible driver, but unladen pickups that are treated like cars are just asking for issues.

easy

#1 Drag racing wanna be

OK ! lets look at the technical effect then , you know ....handling etc

easy

#1 Drag racing wanna be

OK ! lets look at the technical effect then , you know ....handling etc

#1 probably very good in a straight line - teenager stuff, like we used to do when we were kids, remember?

#2 probably handles very good off road for what it was intended.

You really thing so? What was the speed of the dashcam equipped car at time of impact?

Read my post again. I already stated how fast he was traveling.

"… too fast for conditions."

Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph.

"
too fast for conditions" I don't agee! Firstly, I would be inclined to suggest a speed of 90 - 100kph before the impact. Secondly, it was fair weather, daytime, and a dual carriageway. More than reasonable to expect light vehicles to be travelling at 80-100kph.

"Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph.

"There are so many vehicles being passed quickly in this video. I drive my motorbike at 90kph, and believe me, I pass absolutely no one at this low speed. This video is showing at least 125kph, probably more, on a conservative guess."

It's only my gut feeling but I thought the white passenger van was travelling slower than normal like he was looking for a spot to set down a customer. Normally along the motorway I am doing 110-115kph and being passed by a good many passenger vans so I know what they are like normally. The trucks...their doing 60-80 usually.

I guess I will never know why the camera car never swerved or braked. If he went left he was screwed. If he went right he could have involved oncoming traffic in the incident....maybe.

The driver with the dash cam was either trying to keep up with the driver who got hit (family or friend), or was doing something called "locking," where a driver subconsciously keeps up with the vehicle in front of him. They were both driving too fast for conditions. The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

The dash cam driver, if he'd been driving according to his skill level at a lower speed, could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle he hit.

"Could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle"... I'm going to have to call barstool BS on this one, Cliff. You've assessed the guy's skill level based on one minute of uneventful driving on a fairly clear highway - I guess you got good at that during your days as a driving license examiner, eh? (And you've identified the other vehicle as a friend or family... amazing.) So tell us... how fast should he have been driving? I know I always crawl along highways at 30mph, and risk being rammed by transport trucks behind me while backing up the road for miles and pissing off hundreds of strangers, all on the off chance that some guy in the oncoming lane will have a sudden blowout and careen into my lane and head on into my vehicle in less than two seconds. Of course, if the cam driver had been going slower, as you so wisely recommended, he would have avoided the accident, because he would have been four kilometers further back.

Some days you just get dealt a really bad hand... but luckily there is always some clown who is happy to explain after the fact how you could have played that hand in the perfect world in his mind, where he is the omnipotent grand poobah. Nice try, though.

Who's Cliff?

I wasn't a license examiner.

I did not identify the other vehicle as friend or family.

Why do you feel rude sarcasm is an appropriate way to communicate?

Look at post 72 for the way a good driver reacts. He even hit his wipers while still maneuvering.

• Like 1

There have been several threads here on DashCams so a search should bring up lots of information.

Having said that the threads seem to have dried up so I'll just give a little update on my experiences with buying a camera.

The best advice I can give is don't get a cheap one. I have had about 4 cameras each one a little more expensive than the last hoping each will be better and work properly.

Finally settled on the DOD LW430W which is brilliant with great night time recording, which is where many cameras fall down on. I think I get better picture with more detail on the camera screen at night than actually looking through the window tongue.png

http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php - http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php

Technoman does a great review on this camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HtYbyxWJwfE

I got mine from :- http://store.thaiblackbox.com/?s=dod&post_type=product - Sorry Thai only site but there are plenty of other options.

Fitting one in the car is a breeze. They come with plastic suction thingy that sucks onto the window screen and a power lead that plugs into the cigarette/accessory socket. This powers the camera on and off with the ignition so once in place you never have to worry about forgetting to turn it on and off.

Setting the camera up can be a bit confusing as most of the instructions are useless, though the LW430W has a pretty good instructions. Pressing the menu button brings up the set up menu and clicking through it is mainly common sense, and there is always the internet or even here if you get stuck.

smile.png

• Like 2

Similar accident with a driver reacting to the situation:

At a lot lower speed, with the brilliant vigilance and shout from his passenger...

I've been saying this since I first saw these cameras used in Russia "All vehicles should have these cameras fitted as a standard safety feature, it should also be tied in with the sat nav for position and speed overlay"

Some UK insurance companies give up to 20% discount if you have this type of camera (with speed etc overlay) fitted... BARGAIN! :D

(Like)

Edited by Porkster
  • Like 1

There have been several threads here on DashCams so a search should bring up lots of information.

Having said that the threads seem to have dried up so I'll just give a little update on my experiences with buying a camera.

The best advice I can give is don't get a cheap one. I have had about 4 cameras each one a little more expensive than the last hoping each will be better and work properly.

Finally settled on the DOD LW430W which is brilliant with great night time recording, which is where many cameras fall down on. I think I get better picture with more detail on the camera screen at night than actually looking through the window tongue.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HtYbyxWJwfE

I got mine from :- http://store.thaiblackbox.com/?s=dod&post_type=product - Sorry Thai only site but there are plenty of other options.

Fitting one in the car is a breeze. They come with plastic suction thingy that sucks onto the window screen and a power lead that plugs into the cigarette/accessory socket. This powers the camera on and off with the ignition so once in place you never have to worry about forgetting to turn it on and off.

Setting the camera up can be a bit confusing as most of the instructions are useless, though the LW430W has a pretty good instructions. Pressing the menu button brings up the set up menu and clicking through it is mainly common sense, and there is always the internet or even here if you get stuck.

smile.png

Do you have much of a tint on your front windscreen ? I'm wondering how this affects the cameras operation, especially at night.

When I ordered my car the guy recommended that I get quite a dark tint and I ignored him and went for a couple of shades lighter. I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have been able to see much through it when it's dark.

smile.png

Do you have much of a tint on your front windscreen ? I'm wondering how this affects the cameras operation, especially at night.

When I ordered my car the guy recommended that I get quite a dark tint and I ignored him and went for a couple of shades lighter. I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have been able to see much through it when it's dark.

If you want a recommendation of the best tint film,

In my opinion and as a very satisfied customer I was convinced to change from the Mafia black tint that Toyata gave with the new car to the 3M UV protection film,,, it's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for...

No more cooking seats and dashboard and you don't have to wind your window down at the junction at night!

For my SUV it was 12,000 at a shop in Chiang Rai in 2011...

But money well spent I must say

Nobody can know, but my guess from seeing him cut corners over the maked island earlier in the vid, would be to say the same, he was keeping up with the truck in front, and they were going fast. The car earlier pulled over to let him go.

No doubt it happened fast but a cple of seconds more time could have got him to at least change his angle from head on to a glance.

Yes I have tint on the front windscreen. Forget the rating now but it's fairly light.

It does not seem to affect the camera. Most cameras have a light level setting so you can ratch it up a notch if needed. A it like the aperture on a camera I imagine. I have mine set at +1 that seems to cover everything quite nicely.

smile.png

• Like 1

How do we do a thumbs up icon?

In the reply window click on the smiley icon near the top and a choices of of smileys will appear at the bottom of the page

thumbsup.gif

You're talking about using a computer right? I'm using an iPad Daffy [emoji106]

Similar accident with a driver reacting to the situation:

Excellent example and he had even less time to react being blinded by the tall grass in the center median. And Oh look! Another large tired SUV, probably with tire pressures too low because that's exactly what happens, here in the states though there would be a thorough and intense investigation to make that determination, Thailand, not so much..

Edited by WarpSpeed

So, I'm surprised that neither the leading truck, nor (and especially) the camera truck made any attempt to change speed or direction when the event occurred. With a variance of culpability, they all played a role in the dire consequence of the incident.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment...looking at that dashcam a couple of videos up, I wonder how many accidents have been caused by those things blocking some of the driver's view?

Surely there must be some kind that can be incorporated into the rear view mirror to avoid additional clutter out the windscreen?

• Like 2

So where can I get a front and rear dash cam properly fitted into my Vios ?

Just about any decent I.C.E. Or auto parts shop.

Fitting is a piece of cake and takes less than half an hour, I wouldn't bother paying the +-300฿ for them to do it.

And Daffy,

Is ordering this fella as simple as calling the number and doing an ATM transfer?

Cheers

Basically yes. The wife does all my on line ordering but yes that is what happens.

You place the order and they give you a reference and account number and then you confirm that you have done the transfer.

Got to fess up here, I told a little porky pie. The camera I'm already using I got from another company but when I wanted a second one for the rear they were out of stock so ordered from this company.

I'm sure they are a honest and respectable company but until the new camera actually arrives I would not like to be responsible for any recommendations.

Getting very cynical in my old age sad.png

• Like 1

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment...looking at that dashcam a couple of videos up, I wonder how many accidents have been caused by those things blocking some of the driver's view?

Surely there must be some kind that can be incorporated into the rear view mirror to avoid additional clutter out the windscreen?

When racing I always installed it behind the rear view mirror and that was a Go Pro cam..

^ Good reason for a credit card, makes online orders much easier and with better recourse if something happens.

Edited by WarpSpeed