In 10 Years I Have Never Had A Conversation With A Thai

bowerboy

No, never, the only Thai I have ever spoken to, at length ( in english) was my Doctor and that wasnt chit chat.

Do I ever expect to? No, not in my lifetime, certainly not in this rural area where finding soneone to speak to at all in english is a novelty, and my thai is limited, so it aint gonna happen.

Likewise.

The height of a conversation with a Thai down my way is; Thailand very hot and England very cold or where you going? What football team do you support?

There have been rarities when I have been fortunate enough to have met worldly Thais and had some real in-death decent conversations in English, but as I said; these have been on rare occasions and mostly back in the UK and the States. There have been times when out and about here in Chiang Mai I have by chance got into a conversation with a Thai who speaks reasonable English, it feels like a breath of fresh air but unfortunately this does not happen very often.

Than there is the bargirl Engrish, but these sorts of conversations are extremely limited to the absolute basics. But I never judge a book by it`s cover and in the past have met Thais who from appearance have looked liked up country farmers, the average Thai in the street or a staff member working in a 7/11 and have been amazed by their English language skills, so we never know.

From the screenplay for American Graffiti (1973) Falfa played by a young Harrison Ford:

Bob Falfa: Hey, hey, hey, baby. What do you say?
Laurie: Don't say anything and we'll get along just fine.
  • Like 1

bowerboy, on 14 Jun 2014 - 17:06, said:

Thais are the only nationality I have never really had a meaningful conversation with.....then why every other nationality in the world seems to trust me but not Thai's? No logic in your argument.

To get their trust, you must flash your platinum card, in some cases an ATM card will do. tongue.png

• Like 1

Thais are the only nationality I have never really had a meaningful conversation with.....then why every other nationality in the world seems to trust me but not Thai's? No logic in your argument.

To get their trust, you must flash your platinum card, in some cases an ATM card will do. tongue.png

And yet another one who has forked out for a bargirl and been stung.

You need to realise that yes, your sad situation does occur, but what do you expect if you only go to Pattaya, BKK, or Phuket? It is not grounds to generalise about the entire nation.

• Like 1

Yes you are probably right...i would stand a better chance of an insightful and meaningful conversation with the shopkeeper in Sellapum, Roi Et than I would an Engineer or Doctor in Bangkok...hadn't really considered that but you might be on to something...very astute observation.

To get their trust, you must flash your platinum card, in some cases an ATM card will do. alt=tongue.png>

And yet another one who has forked out for a bargirl and been stung.

You need to realise that yes, your sad situation does occur, but what do you expect if you only go to Pattaya, BKK, or Phuket? It is not grounds to generalise about the entire nation.

• Like 1

I have not experienced the same lack of conversations as the OP. I regularly, as in every day, have meaningful conversations over lunch at a minimum, and usually many more times as well (but lunch is almost an appointment.) We discuss politics, the stock market, the world economy, the future of Thailand, the future of other parts of the world . . . in other words, the same thing I might be discussing with other westerners.

People are people.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...amazing how after 10 years here i have never seen anything even remotely close to this...what is your line of work and I assume these people are your work colleagues?....if you are a professor at Chula or similar and the people you are lunching with are other professors or similar then it is feasible.if you work in a regular office and these are regular office workers then I definitely am calling BS!

I have not experienced the same lack of conversations as the OP. I regularly, as in every day, have meaningful conversations over lunch at a minimum, and usually many more times as well (but lunch is almost an appointment.) We discuss politics, the stock market, the world economy, the future of Thailand, the future of other parts of the world . . . in other words, the same thing I might be discussing with other westerners.

People are people.

• Like 1

I would quite like to see this scene actually...i have often seen the "boss" sitting at the table talking at Thais while they nod and feign interest..are you sure its a 2 way conversation? or are you just talking at them? ....it is extremely rare (if ever) that I have seen a Thai and a Farang sitting at a table in any restaraunt, bar or similar setting in any part of Thailand enjoying a 2 way conversation...

A key point here is that it is somewhat irrelevant who I know or if people like me or not...ask yourself how many Thai and Farangs you have seen engrossed in conversation anywhere?

People are people.

• Like 2

That means nothing, if anyone of any nationality talks to me while I am eating I ignore them. Talk before and after fine but not while I'm eating, I don't like it and I bet I'm not the only person with that opinion.

I'm not even an expat and have had many meaningful in depth conversations with Thai people over the years on a variety of different subjects.

• Like 1

Last week I was in Indonesia visiting clients and agents there. I spent a lot of time hanging out in cars, bars and restaurants with the Indonesians and something really stuck me. We had real and meaningful conversations

one guy was telling me about his pets and how much he loves his little hamster and describing what the hamster does at meal times.

Says it all really

Last week I was in Indonesia visiting clients and agents there. I spent a lot of time hanging out in cars, bars and restaurants with the Indonesians and something really stuck me. We had real and meaningful conversations

one guy was telling me about his pets and how much he loves his little hamster and describing what the hamster does at meal times.

Says it all really

In defense of the OP, you apparantly did not get his point.

Says it all really.

• Like 1

would you have a meaningful conversation with someone who was trying to steal your land? or someone you highly suspect to have overstayed their visa and should be reported to the police post haste?

Paranoid much?

• Like 2

Yeah point is i am not talking about deep highbrow conversations regarding politics or the global economy...thats the sadness of it all and why I am bringing it up...i am talking about engaging conversations with Thai's about anything at all on any level...even the hamster story was very engaging as it gave insight into the guys mindset and I could relate to his point and what he was talking about..it meant something to me and it bridged the divide between us (yes we are from different cultures and he is muslim and I am not but here is a common ground where we can both relate and start to understand something about the way we each look at the life around us)...if a Thai had a pet then the most you would get from them in terms of conversation would be "so cute"...they would never talk about WHY it is cute or what it does that is cute and explain the funny story about how they came to own the hamster in the first place...i know a story about a hamster is mundane but that is the point, it doesnt need to be about some in depth topic...basic conversational ability seems to be lacking

• Like 2

I know a Thai who's been living in London for the past 10 years. Like the OP, he said, to another Thai, that he hasn't had a "normal" conversation with a Brit. However, this Thai was smarter than the OP. You see he realised to converse with the natives, he'd have to learn to speak their language. He soon changed his opinion that the Brits were so lazy that they couldn't be bothered to learn Thai.

Thais are taught not to think or have an opinion on their own. It's pretty difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone who was taught not to use his/her brain from an early age.

The Thais that I know have very strong opinions and are always willing to discuss them. Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

• Like 2

This is just a language issue . If you know very limited Thai you will never have a meaningful conversation here . Simply because most Thais do not speak english at all.

In Indonesia you will find several locals that speaks excellent English, If you get invited to their home you can talk about anything you want. Same in Thailand, if you can find educated people that speaks excellent english you will have no problems . You just need to find them .

Some here are really dreaming their life !

Don't you think that if Thai were good at thinking about ANYTHING the rest of the world would know that this country is not a place only for cheap sun and sex ?

Thai are just followers and this is why we love them, at least it is very easy to feel better and smarter than most !

How fluent are you in Thai?

Some here are really dreaming their life !

Don't you think that if Thai were good at thinking about ANYTHING the rest of the world would know that this country is not a place only for cheap sun and sex ?

Thai are just followers and this is why we love them, at least it is very easy to feel better and smarter than most !

How fluent are you in Thai?

To be honest, my experience is that mindset is more important than language. With a proper mindset, ie read interest in others, one can still communicate properly. It takes only a little more time.

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 1

This is the third time I'm asking the OP where's he's from? Muslims like him but Thais don't. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have more Thai friends than falung friends. We play golf together do business together and socialize in general. Sometimes they prefer to speak English sometimes Thai but I know they would never talk to me if I smelled like an Arab's jockstrap.

Thais are taught not to think or have an opinion on their own. It's pretty difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone who was taught not to use his/her brain from an early age.

The Thais that I know have very strong opinions and are always willing to discuss them. Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

I love that, can be so true thumbsup.gif

This is the third time I'm asking the OP where's he's from? Muslims like him but Thais don't. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have more Thai friends than falung friends. We play golf together do business together and socialize in general. Sometimes they prefer to speak English sometimes Thai but I know they would never talk to me if I smelled like an Arab's jockstrap.

Poor guy so shy...

• Like 1