Thai billionaire agrees Reading FC takeover

Lite Beer

Deja Vu!

Recall another wealthy Thai own a UK soccer club.. his name escapes me, think it was something like Anklewattra or something. Whatever happened to him...don't hear much of him these days???

He did rather well out of it as I recall.

It seems he sold for a much higher price than he paid! No tax to worry about either.

Just say it is Red Bull owner, isn't his son going thru the legal system?

"Perverting the course of justice in English, Canadian, Hong Kong, and Irish law, is a criminal offence in which someone prevents justice from being served on himself or on another party. It is a common law offence carrying a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Perverting the course of justice can be any of three acts:

Also criminal are:

1. conspiring with another to pervert the course of justice, and
  2. intending to pervert the course of justice." Wikipedia

I wonder how a proper person test would look at the son's court case and influence on the Thai judicial system? As the guy in the US got baned for wanting to throw his leg over his girlfriend and told her to stop hanging around black people?

Might not be very palatable to you, but no member of the red bull dynasty has been tried and convicted of any offence yet. Trial and conviction by the media, including social media doesn't count in a court of law.

I don't believe the red bull co-owner has actually been charged with any offence.

Some people ponder about things like this? Just my thoughts.whistling.gif

Perhaps they could take the opportunity to change the name of the stadium to something befitting an English club.

as opposed to being named after an Englishman, you mean?

Rumours suggest the takeover isn't by the Red Bull guy, but are a but thin apart from that.

Edited by RichardL

Perhaps they could take the opportunity to change the name of the stadium to something befitting an English club.

Like the JJB Stadium. Or the Emirates. Or the Walkers. Or the.....

Come to think of it the price is OK as it comes with free Naming Rights.

How about "The Stadium for the peace and the prosperity and the happiness of the Thai People".

That has a ring to it.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Hope he's got a work permit,and he tells them where he lives every three months.

The UK allows entry and residence to any foreign billionaire, how ever these billions were amassed.

The UK does not encourage it's own citizens to reach such levels of riches and remain in the country.

How true that is!!

To suggest that they should change the name of Reading's stadium is both unrealistic and disrespectful.

Sir John Madejski has done arguably more for Reading FC in its modern history than anyone, with the possible exception of Steve Coppell.

He has stuck with the club and poured his own money into it when needed, far more than that dick head Zingarevich has done.

Also, Sir John has always said that the deal is for the club, not for the real estate and stadium which he will retain, and quite rightly so, and long may it bear his name.

I just hope that whoever this new Thai investor turns out to be, that they are more dependable than Zingarevich and actually have football as it's core interest in the club.

I am not being naive, of course this a commercial operation, but Reading fans have been let down by previous investors who lost sight of what they were investing in. I don't care what political persuasion the individual may have, this should be about keeping the club viable as a sporting concern with the financial rewards that come from good management.

• Like 1

To suggest that they should change the name of Reading's stadium is both unrealistic and disrespectful.

That's a stupid thing to say.

Naming rights are worth a lot of cash these days.

If he has the best interests of the club at heart, I doubt he'd object.

• Like 1

No.

Plenty of sports venues are named after founders, benefactors, or other influential people related to it.

Stupid is to suggest that it should be changed for no good reason, or worse for xenophobic motives such as it doesn't sound English.

Sent from a telephone, which make and model is no concern of yours….

No.

Plenty of sports venues are named after founders, benefactors, or other influential people related to it.

Stupid is to suggest that it should be changed for no good reason, or worse for xenophobic motives such as it doesn't sound English.

And plenty of sports venues are named after the sponsors that virtually paid for them.

Frankly if Reading wish to compete, they should be looking at all commercial aspects, and this is just one of them.

The Reebok Stadium is going to be the Macron stadium from next season, they are getting shirt and ground sponsorship.

They aren't doing it for "No Good Reason".

• Like 1

Hope they sell Thai food at the stadium. Who is this guy somebody must know something?!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Samrit Bunditkitsada, Thai league Police United boss

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/picture-new-owner-reading-fc-7272726

This guy looks like the front man rather than the main player. His Thai business connections are noted as Promise Insurance / The Billion Investment Company. Neither get any hits on a google search - apart from this takeover story!

There was mention of him acting for a consortia with Malaysian and Indian partners. Couldn't find any further details on that.

The interesting part of the story was that the deal was brokered by the same guy (Thai) who brokered the Man City sale by TS to the Abu Dhabi mob. How are the Skype connections between Dubai and the UK?!

Seems like the Getreading report is not entirely accurate. They quote the name of Billion Investment Company then abbreviate it to BIG....

BIG actually seems to be an acronym for Billion Innovated Group which does get hits on Google and is the related holding company.

Curiously the BIG group companies listed on the website do include an insurance broker, called Billion Broker Co. and another company called Billion Foods, no mention of Billion Investement Company...

Also there is a Google result from a site called Whistleblowers which seems to accuse Billion Group of falsifying HSBC bank documents.... but the site is not clear and possibly a wind up.

No.

And plenty of sports venues are named after the sponsors that virtually paid for them.

Frankly if Reading wish to compete, they should be looking at all commercial aspects, and this is just one of them.

The Reebok Stadium is going to be the Macron stadium from next season, they are getting shirt and ground sponsorship.

They aren't doing it for "No Good Reason".

Well there you go, your own argument is the same as mine!

John Madejski did virtually pay for the Stadium so it should be named after him!!

Also, there are no plans to change the name, at least not published plans, it was a moronic poster on here (not you) that suggested that it should be changed to "something more fitting to an English club"

My comments were aimed at that post, not yours. Your point about naming rights is valid, but I don't think we know enough about the deal on the table to speculate at the moment.