beware the home of the buy one get one free

roger101

I was having a drink in this well known bar the other day when I noticed an advert for "London Pride". As someone who has drunk lots of "London Pride " over the years in tthe uk I ordered one.

Imagine my surprize when I asked for another to be told that you only get one for the price. So its not "bogof" its only that if you order specific drinks.

Buyer beware.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with you. There have been many times in a supermarket when I have been pleasantly surprised when they tell me I can go back and get another of the same product when I was blissfully unaware of such a deal. w00t.gif They're pretty good like that.

Agreed,only last week I was told that my wife's favourite brand of fish sauce was BOGOF when I got to the checkout,so in my Thai ness I said Mai Pen Rai cos it was so far to go to fetch another.

I have to disagree with you. There have been many times in a supermarket when I have been pleasantly surprised when they tell me I can go back and get another of the same product when I was blissfully unaware of such a deal. w00t.gif They're pretty good like that.

Happened to us only the other day ,the cashier sent someone to get a second ,i was pleasantly surprised.

Can the OP please say where this "well known bar" is and what it is called as I would dearly like to sample some London Pride - presumably bottles?

Apparently some Makros used to sell but I have never seen it in the Pattaya one.

Also what were they charging?

Thanks

i have no sympathy sorry ..u have to really check everything here in los i ALWAYS In the bogof scenario verify ..this particular drink its often only the cheaper or local stuff ...have seen many people caught out .. name the bar

Happened to us only the other day ,the cashier sent someone to get a second ,i was pleasantly surprised.

well, some times it can be a huge advantage to look smart and handsome...

biggrin.png

well, some times it can be a huge advantage to look smart and handsome...

biggrin.png

I did not realize i had an admirer but then i am a hansum manthumbsup.gif

Edited by i claudius

Actually more than once at both Friendship & Villa in Pattaya the cashier has sent the bag boy/girl to get me an additional item or free sample or better quality item when it was on offer and I didn't realize it.

Some people just seem to look for reasons to complain.

The whole point of buy one, get one free gets kind of lost when you look at outgoing cash. You can find many bars where you are not forced to order 2 all at once. For the same cash outlay, you can go to New Plaza and buy one at a time. The reason I like one-a-time ordering is sometimes my first beer choice doesn't work and so I can switch without having to slog through a second of the same. A small point but valid for me. Same goes for the end of the night. I might like one more in a fresh order, but have to pay for two at the BOGOF places. So I move elsewhere. Or more to the point, don't really bother with them any more.

A couple of posts removed:

6) Do not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this doesnt come under BOGOF or is related to drink but the other day in a large supermarket on Sukukvit I bought a tube of Snax crisps for 39 baht next to it was a double pack offering 2 Snax crisps for 79 Baht.

This same supermarket has been written about in the UK press for offering 'specials' that were more expensive than buying the articles separatetly.

. It seems that the leaf doesnt fall far from the tree.

I know this doesnt come under BOGOF or is related to drink but the other day in a large supermarket on Sukukvit I bought a tube of Snax crisps for 39 baht next to it was a double pack offering 2 Snax crisps for 79 Baht.

This same supermarket has been written about in the UK press for offering 'specials' that were more expensive than buying the articles separatetly.

The Easy Store Come On?

Yes, this is a cute little marketing trick I've seen many times in Thai supermarkets. I always check the price for buying two items separately when I'm comparing a multiple-unit size of the same item. Often times, they're the same price, or buying them separately is cheaper. Nothing illegal about the practice...just a little sneaky smile.png

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

i have no sympathy sorry ..u have to really check everything here in los i ALWAYS In the bogof scenario verify ..this particular drink its often only the cheaper or local stuff ...have seen many people caught out .. name the bar

Totally agree old chum, I always ask first, is the "London Pride" bogof or not?

As I drink Leo, I get bogof all the time, next time ask like the other expats do.

I was in Watsons the other day where they had a get-another-one-for-1baht deal. The cashier actually took time out to see if the deal applied to my particular purchase... which it didn't, but he was really trying his best to give me a deal.

Yes, this is a cute little marketing trick I've seen many times in Thai supermarkets. I always check the price for buying two items separately when I'm comparing a multiple-unit size of the same item. Often times, they're the same price, or buying them separately is cheaper. Nothing illegal about the practice...just a little sneaky smile.png

I don't know OMG if you're saying the same thing: Many times it's cheaper to buy two smaller units of a product that's also sold in a larger size. Many of those times it's still cheaper because you end up with more from two small units than the volume in a single large unit item. Crazy but true. In Thailand, it rarely pays to buy the large volume/size of a product.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp