2 price system

Seastallion

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By reading your OP, it seems more like you taught her that principle and she wanted your confirmation to know if she acted correct. Anyway, good on ya.

No I didn't. As I have said, it's rare for me to come across it anyway so it has never been an issue. She asked because she knew I was looking forward to a bulgogi style squid dinner. I was actually across at another vendor and did not witness the scene.

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

It's called Capitalism. Thais aren't racist about this. Thai families usually have to pay more for hotel rooms because a couple will book in then half an hour later a pick-up truck full arrives. All staying in the same room.

Anyway as far as the squid incident goes why didn't you just tell the girl to put a few extra in, then everyone would have been happy.

Edited by ATF

he gave you a price you were happy with. what is the problem ?

Yeah, I was waiting for that point to be brought up.

It wasn't me, it was the wife. She doesn't see why we should be charged more. I don't see it either. Look at it the other way, the vendor was happy to receive the lower price, why should we give more? We are not a charity and the vendor is not destitute.

But actually off-topic because I'm not trying to discuss the ins and outs of 2-tier pricing.

Possibly the vendor gave a discount to a friend and the price qouted to your wife was the correct one.

• Like 2

฿20.-? Wow! And you probably weren't even buying a whole kilo. My wife would have stood her ground and politely but forcefully ask what was going on. We stood at a stall in the market when a Thai 'lady' asked the price of a dress. ฿500.-. She was with a Farang, they walked away. We approached, and my wife got the same dress for ฿350.- which was probably still too expensive. No shouting or walking away in a huff involved, just my wife asking can you make a price for me?'

Things are different here. They don't like bargaining with the customer, that can lead to loss of face. Took me some getting used to after my experiences in north Africa.

Your wife means well for you, but doing people out of a few Baht for a principle and then letting the stall holder lose face is maybe not the best way to go about buying food in a market. Those ladies gossip.

So no answers to your question about Thais standing for principles, although I know plenty.

Things are different here.

• Like 1

he gave you a price you were happy with. what is the problem ?

Yeah, I was waiting for that point to be brought up.

It wasn't me, it was the wife. She doesn't see why we should be charged more. I don't see it either. Look at it the other way, the vendor was happy to receive the lower price, why should we give more? We are not a charity and the vendor is not destitute.

But actually off-topic because I'm not trying to discuss the ins and outs of 2-tier pricing.

Possibly the vendor gave a discount to a friend and the price qouted to your wife was the correct one.

Or a regular customer..

• Like 2

It's called Capitalism. Thais aren't racist about this. Thai families usually have to pay more for hotel rooms because a couple will book in then half an hour later a pick-up truck full arrives. All staying in the same room.

Anyway as far as the squid incident goes why didn't you just tell the girl to put a few extra in, then everyone would have been happy.

Is it "Capitalism"?

NO!

It is one form of Capitalism.

Good to hear that the OP's wife thaught the seller how "the free market" works.

Let's not confuse "free market" and "Capitalism".

That is of course a very common mistake.

• Like 2

By reading your OP, it seems more like you taught her that principle and she wanted your confirmation to know if she acted correct. Anyway, good on ya.

No I didn't. As I have said, it's rare for me to come across it anyway so it has never been an issue. She asked because she knew I was looking forward to a bulgogi style squid dinner. I was actually across at another vendor and did not witness the scene.

Hate to nitpick but in your OP you said after she blew up she grabbed your arm and you walked away which infers you were there, so were you with her or across the street? coffee1.gif

Hate to nitpick but in your OP you said after she blew up she grabbed your arm and you walked away which infers you were there, so were you with her or across the street? coffee1.gif

He said "across at another vendor" in post #6, given market ailes are rarely more than 2m wide he woukd have been within arms reach, so to speak. Thats how I read it anyway.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

The 1st girlfriend I had when I came to Thailand used to actively tell people to charge a higher price because I only understood snippets of Thai.

I've no issue with the odd ฿20 here and there for vendors but that's not your point, she puts you 1st and doesn't make you feel like a mug. That's nice.

• Like 2

He said "across at another vendor" in post #6, given market ailes are rarely more than 2m wide he woukd have been within arms reach, so to speak. Thats how I read it anyway.

Yeah the OP reads to me as though he was right there with the wife.

฿20.-? Wow! And you probably weren't even buying a whole kilo. My wife would have stood her ground and politely but forcefully ask what was going on. We stood at a stall in the market when a Thai 'lady' asked the price of a dress. ฿500.-. She was with a Farang, they walked away. We approached, and my wife got the same dress for ฿350.- which was probably still too expensive. No shouting or walking away in a huff involved, just my wife asking can you make a price for me?'

Things are different here. They don't like bargaining with the customer, that can lead to loss of face. Took me some getting used to after my experiences in north Africa.

Your wife means well for you, but doing people out of a few Baht for a principle and then letting the stall holder lose face is maybe not the best way to go about buying food in a market. Those ladies gossip.

So no answers to your question about Thais standing for principles, although I know plenty.

Things are different here.

Yep, 20 baht. If each member of this forum gave me 20 baht for nothing I would be a very happy man. If the vendor over-charged 10 people, she probably nearly doubled her daily profit.

There was no huff, she calmly said what she said and walked off. She was certainly not "doing" the vendor "out of a few baht", the vendor was trying to do us out of 20 baht. That's the price of an iced coffee. Back home would you give your custom to a vendor who charged just you, and not the other customers, $5.00 more for squid?

I've just asked her if she thought it possible that the other customer was a regular or friend. She says unlikely by the way they spoke to each other.

But that is bye-the-bye; Principles. Shall we talk about them?

Wow, so instead of ฿400.- she would be making ฿800.-? How many Farangs come along in a market, I rarely see one in Buriram market, maybe she would be making ฿420.- instead of ฿400.-. The principle is that you are a miserly g@t. I have been so poor that I had nothing to eat. Now that I have a few pence I don't mind being 'cheated'out of ฿20 now and again. That's another principle, not very scientific maybe.

• Like 1

Anyway whether it is free market economics or capitalism or just getting ripped off your principles didn't get you any squid. What did you have for dinner?

"Principles" will get you into more trouble than anything in Thailand. Next time go to Tescos or be prepared to negotiate.

Anyway whether it is free market economics or capitalism or just getting ripped off your principles didn't get you any squid. What did you have for dinner?

"Principles" will get you into more trouble than anything in Thailand. Next time go to Tescos or be prepared to negotiate.

My kingdom for a horse - my principles for a squid.

I am sure the OP and his wife found something else edible at the market, such as "kung with principles"? - very tasty!

• Like 2

There can't be many seafood vendors where you live. So, If I was your wife, I would have paid the extra 20 baht this time and whispered to the vendor, next time give me same price as the other lady gets. This way, no one looses face and the vendor knows this woman is good.

• Like 2