How Thai helps with money inside there own family ?

Sandman77

For me the system how Thais help together inside there own family is very unclear!

Brothers wife has a company in bk earn around 2 million in a year , but not give any satang to my wife!

Before I married she was working 10 year for 10 k a month !

Today another story from the nabour

Sister of nabour married Brit want build a resort , but she force farang to pay 15 k a month to here grandparents!

He not understand why other family members not want help , and it ends in farang has money!

When I discuss this with my wife last week she getting aggressive and says

Thai people always help together

When someone sik in fam

But the support of money when someone in fam is more rich

Ends only in the argument brother has also fam wife and children cannot help!

So how realy is this structure

Inside a Thai fam?

Is this the normal way that it goes or not?

Never been on a thai farm or with a farm girl but my guess is that every family is slightly different than each other so difficult to say.

As far as I know many Thai families helps each other when really needed, same as most families I know in the west.

Ok I advice you all go to the children's garden , and play ball the have someplace left in the class room..

Where are the mods, that stop this dealy OT against me, I not see it!

Last year and all the years before also not have this problem!?

• Like 1

The farang is being taxed by his wife. 15,000 baht a month is beyond ridiculous. This is a prime Buffalo indicator. It's in the best interests of your farang friend to dump this family.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Also, there are plenty of examples of rapacious Thais leaving their elders in poverty. The assumption that all Thais fund their parents is wrong. Many are abandoned to poverty, some deserve it, many don't. Thai families have the same issues as any other family. Good families stick together, others fight over every coin.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

When my wife was pregnant and went home for 3 weeks she came back. A week later the issue came about supporting her mom.

i told her i double what her 2 brothers and 2 sisters give. Let me know later. Never heard anything anymore about it. I must have been fortunate to have been together with the most responsible sibling of the family !!

• Like 2

When my wife was pregnant and went home for 3 weeks she came back. A week later the issue came about supporting her mom.

i told her i double what her 2 brothers and 2 sisters give. Let me know later. Never heard anything anymore about it. I must have been fortunate to have been together with the most responsible sibling of the family !!

.Good reply...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Boxclever

in our family we dont send money; we 'lend' money a few times a year, when we can afford it, which is almost never. husband knows that all 'lending' will not be repaid; but on the other hand, while i was visiting, they also paid many of the more affordable (to them) food/snacks/extras expenses. we paid the car/fuel. they also paid their own way for entrance fees, we paid ours.

its obvious that also in non thai families there are the same problems. i hear a million stories every day from israeli friends about extended family problems over money, land, lending cars/machinery/whatever. thais do NOT have a monoply on family /funding problems. maybe westerners dont have this as much as they dont have land/house setups like we do (similar to thais: the first born SON gets dibs on plot of land next to house with plot, then if he doesnt want, other siblings can get... this is on agricultural/farming land, not city houseing). families fight over who will pay for the grandparents' house help, medical, etc. My own mother's brother made her miserable for years by asking for money and not helping out with elderly parents.... its not just thais.

sandman, you are always complaining: when u got married/hooked up to a thai women from a village, u just have found out more info ahead of time since this way of life seems very foriegn to you. to me it is very similar to here in many ways, from community life to gossip to squabbles about money etc... i let my husband deal with his family , he double checks with me, but its his salary in the end, not mine, that is used to help them, and i am never without food/clothing/house/extra funds. i come first adn then he helps out. nobody forces anybody. its a dual decision. if someone doesnt want to pay, and if his partner makes a big fuss about it, then there is the real truth about the relationship. i see it with my daughter, she has an ethiopian partner with traditional family values and there are many arguments about financial support to the mother and also visiting (EVERY FRIDAY?!)... but she manages to move within the rain drops and deal with both worlds.

you, on the other hand, seem to see things only from your own point of view, whihc is a narrow one.

access your situation, decide if it fits or not, and make decisions. the thai way of life seems very different then the one u must have had until now.

in our family we dont send money; we 'lend' money a few times a year, when we can afford it, which is almost never. husband knows that all 'lending' will not be repaid; but on the other hand, while i was visiting, they also paid many of the more affordable (to them) food/snacks/extras expenses. we paid the car/fuel. they also paid their own way for entrance fees, we paid ours.

its obvious that also in non thai families there are the same problems. i hear a million stories every day from israeli friends about extended family problems over money, land, lending cars/machinery/whatever. thais do NOT have a monoply on family /funding problems. maybe westerners dont have this as much as they dont have land/house setups like we do (similar to thais: the first born SON gets dibs on plot of land next to house with plot, then if he doesnt want, other siblings can get... this is on agricultural/farming land, not city houseing). families fight over who will pay for the grandparents' house help, medical, etc. My own mother's brother made her miserable for years by asking for money and not helping out with elderly parents.... its not just thais.

sandman, you are always complaining: when u got married/hooked up to a thai women from a village, u just have found out more info ahead of time since this way of life seems very foriegn to you. to me it is very similar to here in many ways, from community life to gossip to squabbles about money etc... i let my husband deal with his family , he double checks with me, but its his salary in the end, not mine, that is used to help them, and i am never without food/clothing/house/extra funds. i come first adn then he helps out. nobody forces anybody. its a dual decision. if someone doesnt want to pay, and if his partner makes a big fuss about it, then there is the real truth about the relationship. i see it with my daughter, she has an ethiopian partner with traditional family values and there are many arguments about financial support to the mother and also visiting (EVERY FRIDAY?!)... but she manages to move within the rain drops and deal with both worlds.

you, on the other hand, seem to see things only from your own point of view, whihc is a narrow one.

access your situation, decide if it fits or not, and make decisions. the thai way of life seems very different then the one u must have had until now.

Reciprocity....reciprocity.....if its there.... its good...if it aint....not good....

Everybody's levels are different....in order to what the giver wants to receive combined with what the requester is willing/able to give back....

It depends on family's members. Most of the time they would help the parents before help the siblings, and sometimes they would wait for the one with the most money to help first before lending their hands. In your example of your neighbor, the family's members probably think the farang man has the most money, so he should help first. It is kind of like if you are able to help, why are you waiting for the one who can barely make it to help.

Just curious, why do you think your wife's brother should give your wife money? If your wife is with you and you are a good provider, why should your brother in law give your wife money? Is your wife working for him or something?

There were a couple times, I tried to buy my sister plane tickets to go home from Belgium to Thailand, and I was told by my brother in law that I insulted him. So do you get my point?