a gecko ( jing-johk ) cost THB12,716 in my aircon

ETatBKK

Geckos are just a fact of life in Thailand...other than leaving their droppings and occasionally electrocuting themselves in your equipment they are harmless (equipment damage excluded).

Edited by Pib

Had one of the buggers fry himself under the control board of our electric gate. After fixing the board by soldering a few jumper wires where the pcb had been damaged, I then glued the board to the plastic carrier with silicone, leaving no holes to go under there. That ought to keep them out.

Hopefully you used neutral cure silicon, otherwise be prepared for a problem down the road. The standard silicon that has a quite strong smell when curing is deadly on electrical/electronics. The vinegar type smell is acetic acid which loves to eat copper, so will cause problems sooner or later.

Not being critical here, just hoping to pass on a bit of experience.

Cheers

hi there

the Mitsubishi technicians just left, with a bill of THB12,716. they replaced a Power Board in the compressor unit that has a gecko ( jing-johk ) toasted under the capacitors.

LP6A6887-Edit LR.jpg

then they also replaced a Noise Filter Board ( THB4,7xx ) with a 0.25A blew fuss ( lower left ). hold on . . . they could just replace the fuss, but not the entire board. after couple of Thai-Eng-Thai negotiation, it was done accordingly.

LP6A6892 LR.jpg

QUESTIONS here :

1) could we avoid jing-johk or else in the electronic compartment of the compressor unit ( already twice in my case ) ? and how . . .

2) is it a standard practice ( from branded services ) here doing module replacement, rather than component replacement ? even the Power Board, I could bring it to the local aircon shop, that could replace the capacitors or else within a thousand baht.

cheers

We had one die in the electronics part of a rice cooker before. Stunk the kitchen out. Poor little fella got in but couldnt get out. Terrible way to die.

Had one of the buggers fry himself under the control board of our electric gate. After fixing the board by soldering a few jumper wires where the pcb had been damaged, I then glued the board to the plastic carrier with silicone, leaving no holes to go under there. That ought to keep them out.

Hopefully you used neutral cure silicon, otherwise be prepared for a problem down the road. The standard silicon that has a quite strong smell when curing is deadly on electrical/electronics. The vinegar type smell is acetic acid which loves to eat copper, so will cause problems sooner or later.

Not being critical here, just hoping to pass on a bit of experience.

I had some silicone meant for electronics in a tube (bought it in Germany ages ago, not sure if you can get it here from Amorn or some such shop), the kind that cures to be harder than the type used for windows and stuff. Wasn't the one that smells like vinegar. Good to know, though, thanks for the info.

Hot glue should do the trick as well, I've seen guns sold at hardware shops.

Edited by DrTuner

It seems pricey. I have no direct experience, but my landlord uses a company which has twice removed mice or geckos from my aircon (1 of each). each time it has involved stripping down to the insides, but only cost 400- 500 baht per time. I guess there was no board involved.

did the OP say 12,000baht plus? Jeez.

There are shops that fix the boards, too. Around 700-800b.

I had a new Mitsubishi 13k btu unit installed about a month ago, 16k including work. And that was an inverter.

Edited by DrTuner

These geckos seem to be abundant. Are there no natural predators?

All manner of things eat geckos, they just breed faster than they can be eaten.

I have never seen anything pursuing them.

Neither did the ones who got eaten sad.png

Snakes, birds, spiders (large ones) and bigger geckos (tuk gae) will all take the little chaps.

I have cats at home and every now and then geckos body parts on the floor. perhaps those in my aircon or other electronics, are different gangs.

There are shops that fix the boards, too. Around 700-800b.

I had a new Mitsubishi 13k btu unit installed about a month ago, 16k including work. And that was an inverter.

yeah, THB12,716 is almost half of a 18,000 BTU inverter :-( hmm . . . it happened on this particular aircon twice ! I forgot what did it cost last time.

never think a dead gecko, and a capacitor could be that expensive ;-)

Yeah, I ended up buying a new AC unit altogether, the power board was friend by the little sod taking a leak and I was getting the Thai run-around over getting a new one sourced. In the end I just told the tech go get a new AC and take the old one away, I was fed up of sleeping in the small spare bedroom in my own house. Lucky tech got a unit for free and probably a chunk for over charging on the new one he bought. Subsequently replaced after only a few years.

Keeping ghekos out, I had to replace my windows with double glazed units, and pack the oversized holes they make in the walls to fit the ACs. Can't do much about her leaving doors and windows open though.

Wouldn't some screen fabric--either aluminum or plastic--wrapped well around the outdoor air conditioning unit do the trick? This would still allow the air conditioner to breathe, but would keep the geckos at bay. The firm plastic mesh can be found at many hardware or garden stores, and it comes in various hole sizes. And it's cheap.

I had a baby Tokay (about 3" long) decide to live behind the microwave oven. Whenever I remembered to look back there he was totally chilled out--sleeping, I reckon. My girlfriend called him 'Boris' and we left him alone 'cause he didn't bother us and was a mossie-killer

Over a couple of months we noticed him growing at an unnatural rate. I'm talking BIG! Maybe the irradiating waves from the oven were causing him to mutate into 'Super Tokay'. And he had a hella appetite--we could hear him running around the attic at night

Anyway, after ~6 months he was too fat large to fit between the oven and the wall. He was as long as the oven was wide (20") and as round as my arm. He stayed in the attic for a few months and then split--maybe he had some girlfriends to visit?

Did the mysterious rays from the microwave turn him into a Hila Monster? I don't know but he was almost identical to these pics:

post-74977-0-08073800-1403616342_thumb.j

post-74977-0-17724500-1403616478_thumb.j

Sounds like a real smoke job. I would question it with the management of that company. Threaten to report them to the consumer affairs department. LOL. No, it does sound very high. I have had mine repaired a few times, and it was never more than 3,000 baht.

Try to remember to give my toaster an upside down shake every morning - some frantic activity with 'lil legs going everywhere sometimes when I forget.

+1.

I usually give it a shake after I toast bread, but after reading this, I will do it twice. "Shake it Baby" ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos