What keeps you in Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a veteran. Many veterans in the US die while waiting for an appointment to see a doctor. Here I don't even need an appointment. I think the health care here is much better and quicker (two serious operations). A good dinner out for myself and the wife is $9. Our new house by the ocean is $600 a month.

If I ever needed home care one of the young family members would move in and take care of me for a reasonable amount of money.

The dog likes it here. I can get anything I need delivered to the house quickly and cheaply if I ever became ill. I've got money in the bank for emergencies but we live well on my pension; I don't think I could do that in the West.

One of the big things is there are no Jones to keep up with here. I wear what I want. Go out when I want. Fast computer, big screen TV that was made for watching football. I got the ocean, good food, good house, good dog, good wife.

If I want a big weekend I can go to Bangkok and live the high life for a couple of days and then back to my comfort zone in the country.

There are also many negatives here in Thailand, you have listed only the positives. A lot of posters here on TV might want to learn from your positive approach and attitude and enjoy the stay.

• Like 1

To me it's a toss-up. Lived in Calif. prior to meeting my wife (Thai). She is actually the one who wants to live in Thailand (Family and friends here ...none in the US). I am retired so can live where ever I want ....as long as its with my wife ...."Happy wife ....Happy life!". Both places have their pluses and minuses ....just different..

Have to say though, after 10 years in Thailand ...I love it...The people's attitudes, food, and prices!

You don't mind the double pricing, 555.)

I like the freedom! Freedom from excessive taxes, freedom to do as you please, no constant rules and permits or licences for this and that.

Just "freedom" or as the Thais often say "up to you"

Agree.

Oh, congrats on your new job. I will try and behave............smile.png

• Like 1

To me it's a toss-up. Lived in Calif. prior to meeting my wife (Thai). She is actually the one who wants to live in Thailand (Family and friends here ...none in the US). I am retired so can live where ever I want ....as long as its with my wife ...."Happy wife ....Happy life!". Both places have their pluses and minuses ....just different..

Have to say though, after 10 years in Thailand ...I love it...The people's attitudes, food, and prices!

You don't mind the double pricing, 555.)

Even with the double standard of pricing in Thailand for farangs it's still cheaper than the states. Always willing to walk away if I don't like the price. And if my wife or I find out that a vendor charged us more just because I am a farang .....they never get our business again! Have to add also, if I think they might jack the price up because they see the farang ....I just send my wife in to negotiate (generally have a price in mind when I do this)

• Like 2

In reality - I'm here because thats where I started...

My First Job out of Uni was based here, I made friends here, settled here.

I tried life in the UK and enjoyed that too, but ended up moving back out to Thailand after two years, again for work.

Since then I've married had a child, made more friends and feel quite at home.

That said - my area in the UK has a strong attraction and there is temptation to move back. What prevents me is the number of friends I would miss, the easier lifestyle, the weather, the range and access to quality food...

IMO: The pro's and cons are closely balanced...

• Like 1

I came here for a year, and ten years later still here. There are frustrations along the way, but I can't complain about my life or job. Met some great people along the way here to, and do feel disconnected from my country of origin. I'm realistic to know though, that it might not always be that way, and at some point through work or other reasons I may have to move on. As for the bitter people, they're bitter and resentful wherever they are.

Edited by snottgoblin
  • Like 1

Keeps me here ... only here 6 months - but stayed here a year in what seems like a million years ago...

Let's see. Thai women smile at me - flirt with me... and a lot more. Thai women are lovely to look at, often personable, helpful and respectful. Not 100% of them -- but far more than in America by factors of 10. And I can actually put my arm around their waist without using a chalk mark to see where I need to start again... :)... I like learning the Thai language, got a pretty good handle on Thai culture,customs and people - but a lot more to go.. It is an adventure I simply could not find at home (without Adventure in life I would be bored to death). I find a lot of what I encounter daily in Thailand to be quite quaint. It is so different than America - one can actually find people on the streets and in shops to interact with...

Obviously I live better on my monthly income here even though Farlang type food is quite expensive. I like the fact that I could start a business here without the stymying over regulation of the States and at a low start up cost. I haven't done this yet - but everything seems feasible ... I wouldn't even think of trying to start a business in America on a low start up cost - not to mention the crazy out of control regulation in every city, county and state in the U.S.

There are many reasons - it would take writing a book to get it all down... but I have to say being away from the U.S. Government and the daily insanity of the man who calls himself President was a significant reason I left the U.S,. and a big reason I stay here and have no plans of going back.

There are some irritants here and even a few insults - but life is not an event no matter where one lives that is without a bit of irritation and insulting situations... And I have come to "Where the weather suits my clothes"...

• Like 1

In front of my house is a large body of water and tankers drive up and down about a mile offshore. What I like about the ocean is the sea breeze. It keeps the air cooler than inland.

I lived on the ocean in the West; I've lived on the Great lakes too. I've lived by a little pond in the mountains and streams where trout swam. About the only difference I noticed is one has to varnish your hull more in salt water and here I can walk to the go go. The doctor said exercise so I like to walk.

I came here for a year, and ten years later still here. There are frustrations along the way, but I can't complain about my life or job. Met some great people along the way here to, and do feel disconnected from my country of origin. I'm realistic to know though, that it might not always be that way, and at some point through work or other reasons I may have to move on. As for the bitter people, they're bitter and resentful wherever they are.

It's a pity you didn't join TVF earlier, I enjoy your contributions to the thread, thanks for sharing.

You are right of course, there's bitter <deleted>everywhere.

• Like 1