What keeps you in Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

Crumpet is not a rude term at all.

It's more of a London term really, meaning pretty girl/lady...

A crumpet is actually a type of bread that you toast and then lavish with butter... Absolutely delicious...

I have no doubt that Heavy Drinker wrote it in a term of endearment or affection.

In simple words... It's a compliment to your beauty

It's not really used these days as times have changed... Kids in the UK these days tend to use words for sexy/beautiful girls that I'd be suspended for on TVF!

Times have definitely changed...

No, HD meant nothing bad by it, if he wanted to offend he'd choose more,direct terms, he's very forthright in coming forwards......no mincing of words ;) Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the freedom! Freedom from excessive taxes, freedom to do as you please, no constant rules and permits or licences for this and that.

Just "freedom" or as the Thais often say "up to you"

Agree.

Oh, congrats on your new job. I will try and behave............smile.png

A new job, moderator?

Crumpet is not a rude term at all.

It's more of a London term really, meaning pretty girl/lady...

A crumpet is actually a type of bread that you toast and then lavish with butter... Absolutely delicious...

I have no doubt that Heavy Drinker wrote it in a term of endearment or affection.

In simple words... It's a compliment to your beauty

It's not really used these days as times have changed... Kids in the UK these days tend to use words for sexy/beautiful girls that I'd be suspended for on TVF!

Times have definitely changed...

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I thought it was something bad and did not pay attention to it.

• Like 1

THERE'S something I'd like to change about Thailand, for the better.

Tesco Lotus to start importing CRUMPETS!

Or a new thread could be started titled "foods and sundries that Thailand needs to import"

I would start it myself but I'm not VIP (Very Important Poster) enough according to TVF !

Now THAT's a prefect example of PRETENTIOUS !

Or a new thread could be started titled "foods and sundries that Thailand needs to import"

I would start it myself but I'm not VIP (Very Important Poster) enough according to TVF !

It's not like they are difficult to make. Why don't you just make some?

I'd love to be able to but I'm totally pants at cooking because I hate cooking.

Toasters and microwaves are as far as I can go...

I get stressed out just doing an English breakfast!!

My wife loves to bake though...

So if you have the recipe and technique I'd love you long time [emoji6]

Edited by Porkster

What is keeping me in LOS now is that I spent too much on real estate to walk away from and the market is flat for 2nd hand homes. I know rule #1 is never spend more than you can afford to walk away from and I broke it.

Another reason that I want to return home is that all of a sudden I am 67 years old and there is no healthcare safety net for expats and although medical is cheap here, it is lacking in the quality of the west and as I age, it's going to get more expensive here.

Great country if you're young and in good health and have a small nest egg or income, but not a good country for old people.

• Like 1

It is not baking really more like grilling. Save your old tuna cans and cut out both ends and put them on a flat griddle or flat frying pan and then make one of the thousands of crumpet batter recipes on line.

The internet has 100's of recipes plus you can buy them in Villa maybe Foodland too.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I thought it was something bad and did not pay attention to it.

Crumpet is a sexy girl but in boys talk a woman would never use this word. Tart is a girl of loose virtue. Women will also call other women Tarts. Which is also a type of cake.

• Like 1

It is not baking really more like grilling. Save your old tuna cans and cut out both ends and put them on a flat griddle or flat frying pan and then make one of the thousands of crumpet batter recipes on line.

Thanks! [emoji106]

I'll give it a go and see what happens

I've got a BBQ with one of those flat griddles at one end, I manage to burn burgers on it still...

See how it goes.

Crumpet is a sexy girl but in boys talk a woman would never use this word. Tart is a girl of loose virtue. Women will also call other women Tarts. Which is also a type of cake.

Lead balloon.... [emoji13]

What is the criteria to become the VIP? I want to be one :).

Well you could explain to the young lady what a Hot Tuna Taco is.

What is the criteria to become the VIP? I want to be one :).

You already are Som,

You're obviously grown up enough to be allowed to start a new topic by TVF's standards....

Well you could explain to the young lady what a Hot Tuna Taco is.

Apart from something you can buy at Taco Bell... I wouldn't have a clue... Enlighten us.

After 30 years in Bangkok and the last 7 up here in Chiang Rai, Thailand is quite simply my home and I have no desire to leave my home, except for brief periods of time to visit other interesting places.
I speak the language but I like being a Farang in Thailand. I have more freedom and I have always been treated better than a Thai, not defined by a family name or locked into some predetermined social class. So I am not one of those who laments not being Thai. Life is good for this village farang.

how many times do you have to tell everyone you have been here for 30 years it is boring i like thailand because of the way of life and the freedom of the people everything works here it is good to have a family trust to have income it makes life easy here i feel sorry for those who are struggling with life here good luck to all of them for trying and not being looked down on them by others

Edited by johnmarhall

Khun Som keep posting it's great to have Thai people posting on TV. English is full of "innuendos" words with hidden or secret meanings. Good Luck!

Why do you stay in Thailand?

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but whatever ( before I met my wife ).

It's hot.

It's NOT PC.

The girls are soooooooo pretty and wear those short shorts.

No body bothers me when I go out ie they don't look at me and judge me by my clothes.

It's cheap to live simply ( like a Thai ).

I don't have to stand in a queue in the bank.

Public transport is excellent and cheap.

I can stay on a beach in a room, not in a tent.

• Like 1

how many times do you have to tell everyone you have been here for 30 years?

Well, I suppose until they get it right.wink.png That was 30 years in Bangkok and 7 years in Chiang Rai. I don’t really count the first two years because I was still in school and only came here four or five times during that period. So come to think of it, next year will mark 40 years since I started my Thailand journey in 1975, but then again who is counting.

So like I said, what keeps me in Thailand is that this is my home and has been for a rather long time. That seems like a good reason to me and I am sticking to it.smile.png

• Like 2

After 30 years in Bangkok and the last 7 up here in Chiang Rai, Thailand is quite simply my home and I have no desire to leave my home, except for brief periods of time to visit other interesting places.
I speak the language but I like being a Farang in Thailand. I have more freedom and I have always been treated better than a Thai, not defined by a family name or locked into some predetermined social class. So I am not one of those who laments not being Thai. Life is good for this village farang.

how many times do you have to tell everyone you have been here for 30 years it is boring i like thailand because of the way of life and the freedom of the people everything works here it is good to have a family trust to have income it makes life easy here i feel sorry for those who are struggling with life here good luck to all of them for trying and not being looked down on them by others

What you like and the things you understand may be two different things. And whilst duration here is not an exact measure of much at all, how long have you lived here?