Quick visa run ideas please.

Dear All

I would like to make a visa run from Bangkok leaving on a Saturday evening and returning as soon as possible, ideally Monday or Tues. I would prefereably like to travel by train.

Any ideas, or experiences, very gratefully received.

T.I.A

Danny

i agree...nong khai or (sungai goluk malaysia) if by train...aryaprether/poipet if by car/bus.

if want quick and dirty...poipet would be my choice.  just did it a couple weeks ago and can do in 1 day (5 hours each way) with no overnight.  bus from morchit is about b400 return and b100 taxi from staion to border in poipet.  b1000 for cambo visa...walk in and out and back on bus and back in bangkok same day.

if by private car, 3 hours each way and cost of B3500-4000 return (driver pays gas and motorway tolls).

Many thanks for the replies.  

In response to George - I have just "used up" 6 months on a double entry tourist.  Do you think it will be possible to get another "tourist" straight away, because this would be preferable ?  Also, Jonnie, do you know if it is possible to the Poipet trip on a Sunday?

Thanks Again

Dan.

If you need a NEW single or double entry VISA, you must visit the Thai consulate in a neighboring country. Try the Thai conuslate in Vientiane, but they are a bit stiff...

Why don't you get a multiple NON-Immigrant instead? Search for multiple in this forum, and you find that Brisbane, Australia is propably your best bet.

I quick out/in at Aranyaprathet/Poipet will give you 30 days. Open all days.

I do the Nong Khai/Vientiane myself -- in fact I am going Sunday night.  Takes two days -- leave your passport with application on Monday morning, pick up the passport and visa on Tuesday afternoon.

Take the train from Hualamphong at 8:45 Sunday, sleep on the train (R/T first class is about 1100 Baht), spend one night in Vientiane (hotel about $25 to $40), back overnight Tuesday night.  Arrive in BKK early Wednesday morning.

I've heard the visa office in Vientiane is hard but that hasn't been my experience.

The Vansana Hotel in Vientiane comes highly recommended. I have stayed there on many visits to Laos, and although not ideally located best for transportation on Phonthanh road, it is good value at $25 USD per night.