1400 Baht fee on 5000 baht phone from China?

happysanook

I just received news from DHL they are requiring 1400 tax (vat fees blah blah) on a 5000 baht phone.

I was under the impression that mobiles weren't supposed to be taxed at all? I also thought that goods from China weren't supposed to receive the tariff...?

Am I getting raped, or is this correct? The name on the package is in Thai, so I know it's not because of foreigner status.

Just trying to gather info so I can communicate with them when they call back in the afternoon.

Thanks

There is no customs fee but 7% vat is applied orders over 1000 baht.

However if your bill on package is only 5000 baht and there is nothing else (just phone, no case) it should not be 1400 baht.

Total fee is 5000 baht %7 = 350 baht plus 200 baht fee to DHL for processing.

Unless, there is another item which can be taxed at 20-30 percent, then they tax everything at this high customs tax no matter what.

Hmm.. Yes, there was a Android watch and SD card listed on there. I guess the cause. Actual value $212x32=6784*.2=1356=crap that sucks

What sucks is that you wasted internet bits by neglecting to consider that it was not just the phone being assessed import taxes.

Using DHL is a good way to ensure customs of around 30% are applied. Companies like DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc., can get things through customs fast because they do such an outstanding job in collecting customs for the govt...makes the govt happy. I would recommend you use the regular postal system whenever possible to lower the chance of customs being applied.

• Like 1

Using DHL is a good way to ensure customs of around 30% are applied. Companies like DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc., can get things through customs fast because they do such an outstanding job in collecting customs for the govt...makes the govt happy. I would recommend you use the regular postal system whenever possible to lower the chance of customs being applied.

This ^

I've never had problems like this with Fedex

I ordered a US$ 200 phone from AliExpress, China... delivered to my apartment building in Bangkok by DHL and paid B330 duty. A US$ 100 tablet also from AliExpress delivered by EMS was B300.

EMS is handled by post office and they usually don't believe price written by chinese supplier so they come up with their own price by looking at box from outside!

But DHL / FEDEX has to take printed invoice / declared value as is, so they only tax you within legal frame work.

Don't buy several taxable items in one package. My friend got taxed 30% + 7% just because there was a 7$ leather case along with his tablet in dhl box. Tablet was taxed at 30% + 7% along with stupid leather (fake) case.

I have had electronic items shipped from China (HK, Shenzen) several times. Had them sent by China Post or EMS, usually not duty to be paid, or very small amount. EMS is probably best bet because it is fast and signature required so very reliable.

I have had electronic items shipped from China (HK, Shenzen) several times. Had them sent by China Post or EMS, usually not duty to be paid, or very small amount. EMS is probably best bet because it is fast and signature required so very reliable.

I receive my package in as low as 6 or 7 days via Singapore post, 5 or 6 days via EMS.

EMS is not worth extra fees. Get it via DHL / Fedex if you want real quick.

There should be no import duties on Phones from China to Thailand its 0%. I buy lots of them. Before if I used DHL/UPS or the likes I ALWAYS get overcharged. One time imported a box of screenprotectors and it had 4 iphone cases on the top. The cases where like wallet style, I was charged 30% tax ont he complete shipmtn of "luxury bags"..... In another instance I shipped 10 pcs powerbanks as samples to send to some customer. Customs via DHL claimed this couldnt be samples as it was more then 2 pcs.... woooot????? Almost stopped my bizz until I found a good forwarder with the right connections and knowledge. wai2.gif

Correction, the case with the screenprotectors, that was a lady from EMS.... she charged us the 30% claiming 2000 screenprotectors and 4 cases where luxury leather bags. So i cannot agree with the other person advising EMS! Its just who sits at the desk, better use small forwarder who knows those person sitting there personally.

Edited by schietkop

If you have never had this problem with FEDEX then you should be buying lots of lottery tickets since you must be the luckiest expat in Thailand. The largest number of complaints about unreasonable customs charges reported here at TV, are usually posted by first time FEDEX users

The Fedex web site has a calculator for import tariffs and for every computer part I've imported their estimate exactly matched my invoice on my doorstep - 7% of my declared value - it may vary for other products - I haven't tried. No luck involved here.

Can you give a link?

Does it explain you'll get charged at highest tariff if you have two or more different items with different tariffs applied?

So you buy phone with 0% customs + 7% vat, and there is an extra case in invoice (not bundled with phone) which is taxed 30% customs + 7% vat.

But thanks to logic of Thai customs, both phone and phone case is taxed at 30% tax + 7% vat!

TIT!

The Fedex web site has a calculator for import tariffs and for every computer part I've imported their estimate exactly matched my invoice on my doorstep - 7% of my declared value - it may vary for other products - I haven't tried. No luck involved here.

Can you give a link?

Does it explain you'll get charged at highest tariff if you have two or more different items with different tariffs applied?

So you buy phone with 0% customs + 7% vat, and there is an extra case in invoice (not bundled with phone) which is taxed 30% customs + 7% vat.

But thanks to logic of Thai customs, both phone and phone case is taxed at 30% tax + 7% vat!

TIT!

Not just Thai customs customs everywhere. All items in a packet get charged tax and duty at the right of the highest charged item in the consignment. It does not matter if it is US Customs, Than Customs or Australian that is the international agreement.

Before if I used DHL/UPS or the likes I ALWAYS get overcharged. One time imported a box of screenprotectors and it had 4 iphone cases on the top. The cases where like wallet style, I was charged 30% tax ont he complete shipmtn of "luxury bags"..... In another instance I shipped 10 pcs powerbanks as samples to send to some customer. Customs via DHL claimed this couldnt be samples as it was more then 2 pcs.... woooot????? Almost stopped my bizz until I found a good forwarder with the right connections and knowledge. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Ignorance of the import laws and airway bill rules is not a justification that you were overcharge.

If multiple items are shipped under the same airwaybill number the entire shipment will be charged at the highest import duty of the contained products.

Sample shipments are limited quantities.

Think of it as a lesson. Too many people on TV willy-nilly order items from overseas without understanding the issues of importing products or costs involved.

Som Nom Na? :)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fedex are the absolute worst, they usually collect any taxes owing when they deliver. I will NEVER use them for imports.