Where to get a good massage and I do not mean the soapy kind?

AUSSIE BOB

I have been a resident of phuket now for 6mths and I like many others enjoy the odd massage. The problem is where ever I go they don't ask you if your sore, need special attention to a muscle group and if I tell them I have a sore area, well they just stay well clear of it which is really the whole point of getting a massage in the first place. I think the massages are good for what you pay but how much better would it be if some of the shops asked a few simple questions once you commit. 1, would you like hard or soft massage? 2, is there any areas you want me to focus on? 3, do you have any injuries?

Purhaps just a few names of good shops to visit would be appreciated and location if possible. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thalang Tesco ground floor on the right handside as you enter.

And in Surin-Bangtao there's a magic lady that can disassemble your body and put it back together within 2 hours, very painful, but she's a real master, most likely will fix any lasting problems in 2-3 sessions.

pm for a phone number, need to book in advance.

Edited by andreww

Blind People's Massage on Viset in Rawai. I don't remember the exact location. I just see it when I drive by. My wife goes there and says they are very good.

My wife tells me about a Blind People's massage near the end of Patak Road, just before Chalong Roundabout. Think the right side going to the roundabout, about opposite Walen Language School.

Sorry, but my wifey (who's super-picky when it comes to massage, food and some other things wink.png, expressed strong disapproval towards blind people stuff (sounds cruel, I know...)

Really, try Thalang-Tesco so you can compare too. It's maybe the most non-farang Tesco on the island, and I have never seen a single farang (besides myself) in that particular parlour. We switched to our local magical lady however, as she's next door and does wonders. She fixed my friend's neck problem (who's a yoga instructor btw) that my friend wasn't even aware of.

Edited by andreww

If you get to Chiang Mai, there is a Local Government Run Place next door to the FIRE STATION @ Chiang Mai Gate.

No Funny-stuff, excellent male and female staff in clean air-conditioned rooms. You may have to go and make a booking.

Not expensive, my wife and I both go and she gets hers at a discount as her daughter works in a Government Office. I have to pay full price but it is worth it.

If you get to Chiang Mai, there is a Local Government Run Place next door to the FIRE STATION @ Chiang Mai Gate.

No Funny-stuff, excellent male and female staff in clean air-conditioned rooms. You may have to go and make a booking.

Not expensive, my wife and I both go and she gets hers at a discount as her daughter works in a Government Office. I have to pay full price but it is worth it.

That's a long way to go for a massage!

Massage places are often hit and miss. I remember once going for a massage in I believe Trang. At first I was slightly displeased to be allocated not a young and pretty one, but one that looked like about my age. But during a rather painful 2 hour massage, she went to the limit of what was still doable with my body at that moment. To tourists I always advise to select the oldest massage lady, chances are the best she really knows something about it.

It would help if the OP gave a bit of an idea in which part of the province he resides.

I know of a little shop in Nanai Rd where two older, ugly ladies work. It has evolved to where most of their customers now are Thais.

It would help if the OP gave a bit of an idea in which part of the province he resides.

I know of a little shop in Nanai Rd where two older, ugly ladies work. It has evolved to where most of their customers now are Thais.

Also in Nanai road (Patong) there are two very good "straight" massage places........."Normanby" massage, at the junction with Soi Sainamyen, and "Lemongrass" at the other end of Nanai, just in Soi Nanai 8.

Tell the ladies where the problem is and they will work on it/them. The lady I use at Normanby finds sore spots/problems areas from my football playing days 30-40 yrs ago!!!

Good luck.

Also in Nanai road (Patong) there are two very good "straight" massage places........."Normanby" massage, at the junction with Soi Sainamyen, and "Lemongrass" at the other end of Nanai, just in Soi Nanai 8.

Tell the ladies where the problem is and they will work on it/them. The lady I use at Normanby finds sore spots/problems areas from my football playing days 30-40 yrs ago!!!

Good luck.

Her name is Ling. My GF, who is in the industry knows her and has been massaged by her in the past.

But get in fast, I believe the building her shop is in is due for demolition and replacement.

One of the very best ones I know is in Thalang. If coming from the south, turn left from the main traffic lights and after 50 meters turn right to the north. Go forward about 50 meters.

This is very old fashioned place. Old lady who charges 300b/hour with an younger lady who costs 150b/hour. They both know how to get to the problem areas and how to fix the issues.

This place has no aircon (not to be mixed with one massage place close by which is attached to a beaty salon).

The one at Tesco-Thalang is ok as well, but not as good as this old lady place.

Phuket town has one good place as well. Often occupied by older Thais. http://map.panphuket.com/mappoint/thai-massage

My favorite is a person who I call "Sadist" as I can not remember her real nickname. A person who can make a man cry in pain, but after the massage feeling is generally great.

Just don't let them anywhere near your neck. There have been accidents.

Agree. It never happened to me in Thailand, but I remember from my time in India, they always gave your neck a little twist at a moment you were relaxed and off guard. You heard/felt a little knack then, maybe cartilage? Every time it happened, I made a firm resolution to request them not to do this the next time I went for a haircut/massage, but somehow I always forgot.

Agree. It never happened to me in Thailand, but I remember from my time in India, they always gave your neck a little twist at a moment you were relaxed and off guard. You heard/felt a little knack then, maybe cartilage? Every time it happened, I made a firm resolution to request them not to do this the next time I went for a haircut/massage, but somehow I always forgot.

A vendor in Chalong is paralysed from the neck down due to what you have just described (so I've been told).

Agree.............my trained physio/spinal manipualtion therapist in NZ used to do this occaionally (jerk/crack my neck) and I hated it, but he did tell me not to let anyone untrained in this carry it out. Hence I always tell a massage lady here not to do this.

Good advice KB.

Edited by xylophone