Bangkok Criminal Court rejects bail for cocaine-smuggling 'Yuyee'

webfact

Well you certainly have a point there. How ever you are comparing apples to oranges.

The cop killing Ferrari driver was given bail under a completely different Government.

I sincerely hope this is not indicative of the present Government as the penalty defiantly out weighs the crime.

It isn't the government that heads a court isn't it ?

The judiciary run the courts. Judges appear to have absolute power in Thai courts as there is no jury. Sometimes there's more than one judge depending on the case from what I've read.

Of course there's always the appeals court if you don't agree with their verdict.

Do we know how many judges were involved in this trial and who they are ? I wonder if information like this published or kept secret ?

Number one problem in the Thai justice system is the inconsistency and questionable unbias and professionalism of the Judicial system once it gets there.... if you think the RTP need an overhaul and bringing into line it is nothing compared to rest of the judicial system.

They basically seem make it up as they go along case by case... no consistency, no logic and no shame.

Having ample experience to see both the police and courts in action, including an ongoing case now in the supreme court (I'm the good guy), I would say that is nonsense. There is no comparison between the mafia like police force and the court systems. Perhaps that is the impression you get from reading the odd case in the media. The judges do have a lot more latitude than many in the West but most judgments are made by panels of judges and not just those who hear the case in the court room.

My guess is there is more to this case than has been revealed otherwise I agree it's total nonsense. The first TV thread on the case said 1) the bust was made on a tip off, and 2) that she claimed the cocaine was given to her in a chocolate tube. Then it stated the tube was stuffed full of cocaine. How do you stuff a chocolate tube full of 251 mg of cocaine? She also said it was for personal use, so the information we read is inconsistent at best.

Total speculation, but I wonder if the 251 mg is not residual drug scraped from the tube used for carrying cocaine. The Thai judges are probably the world's leading experts dealing with lies.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious.... One wonders if the remarks on this thread would be the same if it was a Nigerian who was caught, and not a Thai lady ?

One suspects if it was a Nigerian one suspects the vast majority of the posters would saying the sentence is correct and doesn't go far enough and Nigerian should be hung drawn and quartered

You're likely correct, though that's an effect of this forum (or perhaps the Thai expat 'community') being plagued by racists more than anything else. I doubt they are the 'vast majority' though.

This sentence is extremely harsh for 250mg no matter who was carrying it (of course).

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

It isn't the government that heads a court isn't it ?

The judiciary run the courts. Judges appear to have absolute power in Thai courts as there is no jury. Sometimes there's more than one judge depending on the case from what I've read.

Of course there's always the appeals court if you don't agree with their verdict.

Do we know how many judges were involved in this trial and who they are ? I wonder if information like this published or kept secret ?

Number one problem in the Thai justice system is the inconsistency and questionable unbias and professionalism of the Judicial system once it gets there.... if you think the RTP need an overhaul and bringing into line it is nothing compared to rest of the judicial system.

They basically seem make it up as they go along case by case... no consistency, no logic and no shame.

Having ample experience to see both the police and courts in action, including an ongoing case now in the supreme court (I'm the good guy), I would say that is nonsense. There is no comparison between the mafia like police force and the court systems. Perhaps that is the impression you get from reading the odd case in the media. The judges do have a lot more latitude than many in the West but most judgments are made by panels of judges and not just those who hear the case in the court room.

My guess is there is more to this case than has been revealed otherwise I agree it's total nonsense. The first TV thread on the case said 1) the bust was made on a tip off, and 2) that she claimed the cocaine was given to her in a chocolate tube. Then it stated the tube was stuffed full of cocaine. How do you stuff a chocolate tube full of 251 mg of cocaine? She also said it was for personal use, so the information we read is inconsistent at best.

Total speculation, but I wonder if the 251 mg is not residual drug scraped from the tube used for carrying cocaine. The Thai judges are probably the world's leading experts dealing with lies.

Its not this case, more the inconsistency of other cases,basically if you dont have the contacts or money or are a regular joe you will most of the time have a very different experience if you do have contacts, money or position. .

The Courts routinely hand out OTT sentences in one hand for say picking mushrooms whilst letting murderers walk out with a slap on the wrist fine.

Courts here are pretty rotten to the core and its no wonder, its all part of the same corrupt, immoral system they call law here. Thats not to say there arnt some good people and judges, its just that theres a lot that arnt, justice here sure isnt blind.

Looks from the pictures that Yuyee consumed most of her goods herself. Have such an idea that quite some crystal meth was involved as well.

Clueless

And why I'm clueless ?

Those pictures are two times the same lady, but the right one is a shadow of how she looked before. That is what crystal meth does.

You are talking out of your ass. Do you seriously think that only Crystal Meth changes peoples appearances?

There seems to be a suggestion circulating on social media, that she had 5 milligrams of cocaine and that it was increased to 251 milligrams somewhere along the line people are asking how that could be! Over a hundred celebs have signed a petition.

• 1 year later...

It appears that crossing, or attempting to cross, an international border is classed as trafficking under Thai law, quantity immaterial. . Doing so, even with a minute amount, is nothing less than terminal stupidity.

It appears that crossing, or attempting to cross, an international border is classed as trafficking under Thai law, quantity immaterial. . Doing so, even with a minute amount, is nothing less than terminal stupidity.

Maybe so, but are the sentences mandatory?

251 mg is 1/4 of a gram! Goodness. There is probably that much residue on bank notes you get as change in the street! It reminds me of an article back in the early 90s that said something like 90% of all US $20 bills would test positive for cocaine.

Just to clarify i dont take drugs but i do take an interest in whats happening world wide wih them. its high time thailand got up to speed with world opinion on drugs, nations are seriousely looking at de criminilising them and at the very least stopping absolutly ridiculous sentences like this. This type of sentence ruins lifes and really cant be justified.

rijit

Maybe so, but are the sentences mandatory?

Obviously not, or they would be strapping her to a table and sticking a needle in her. There might be guidelines or minimum sentences though.

This is tragedy for this family.......a disgusting payback by some well to do ar***le.....because she saved a promised leopard....that was going to be some other ar***les pet!

It should really be forwarded to the international media, but there are so many cases like this in Thailand where money and connections rule, that it wouldn't get the attention it should.

There seems to be a suggestion circulating on social media, that she had 5 milligrams of cocaine and that it was increased to 251 milligrams somewhere along the line people are asking how that could be! Over a hundred celebs have signed a petition.

5 milligrams is so little you would hardly be able to see it, let alone transport it. I call BS on this suggesion. 251mg is probably enough for a few (5?) small lines. Edited by SABloke

Boy a story like this really brings out the Thai Visa warriors

First,of all you have to read the three page story in the Bangkok English language paper that we dare not quote here at TV to get the whole story

Secondly, all those who want to surmise that she looks so bad because of the drugs are wrong. You probably would look like hell too if you were in a Thai prison for over a year

The amount she was charged with went from 5 grams to 251 grams with the explanation by the police that they did not have a scale to measure it when she was arrested but by law in Thailand were never required to show or present the actual evidence (cocaine) in court

The back story is that she and her husband were animal rights activists (the husband has a TV show on the Discovery Channel by the way) and they rescued a leopard which an " influential " person want to buy, which they would not sell since they were holding it till it could be returned to the wild. This caused a demand for a 400,00 Baht bribe which was not paid, and is what is suspected to have caused the draconian sentence she received after a 3 hour trial

Finally, there is a petition sponsored by the husband at Change,org, here:

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-of-thailand-please-set-chatchaya-yuyee-cuesta-ramos-free

So those of you who are so quick to jump on your keyboard and post incorrect information, should go there and do some good instead of just pontificating here at Thai Visa

Just curious, Langsuan, why are people at Thai Visa afraid of mentioning the Bangkok Post?

Boy a story like this really brings out the Thai Visa warriors

First,of all you have to read the three page story in the Bangkok English language paper that we dare not quote here at TV to get the whole story

Secondly, all those who want to surmise that she looks so bad because of the drugs are wrong. You probably would look like hell too if you were in a Thai prison for over a year

The amount she was charged with went from 5 grams to 251 grams with the explanation by the police that they did not have a scale to measure it when she was arrested but by law in Thailand were never required to show or present the actual evidence (cocaine) in court

The back story is that she and her husband were animal rights activists (the husband has a TV show on the Discovery Channel by the way) and they rescued a leopard which an " influential " person want to buy, which they would not sell since they were holding it till it could be returned to the wild. This caused a demand for a 400,00 Baht bribe which was not paid, and is what is suspected to have caused the draconian sentence she received after a 3 hour trial

Finally, there is a petition sponsored by the husband at Change,org, here:

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-of-thailand-please-set-chatchaya-yuyee-cuesta-ramos-free

So those of you who are so quick to jump on your keyboard and post incorrect information, should go there and do some good instead of just pontificating here at Thai Visa

I read a lengthly article about this on BP today, the jist was that her family are of the opinion that she was stitched up for scuppering a wildlife deal involving an expensive leopard cub. The buyer of said leopard wanted to be compensated and yuyee's husband refused outright, after which problems started. her prison outfit includes a pin badge that has written in Thai what she is in for. It says she is in jail for smuggling 5mg of charlie in.

Now unless she got her gear (assuming she is guilty of course) then she must have had super high purity gear for it to even register on the itemizer scan or narco testing kit. But even then 5mg is an absolutely pitifully small amount. The BP article said that there was all kinds of conflicting / evasive statements from the investigation and prosecution teams.

Something stinks very bad indeed here. Her family (kids especially) are suffering. Disgusting shambles, hope it gets quahsed before they suffer any more.

Just curious, Langsuan, why are people at Thai Visa afraid of mentioning the Bangkok Post?

You can mention the Bangkok Post but are prohibited from linking or direct quoting from it, Only The Nation is acceptable here at Thai Visa

If it were not for that prohibition I would have listed a direct link to the BP article or copied and pasted it but I don't want a warning or "time out" from the MOD's who enforce the rules due to copyright issues

Why are we prohibited from posting links? I don't think that's a copyright issue...

You can mention the Bangkok Post but are prohibited from linking or direct quoting from it, Only The Nation is acceptable here at Thai Visa

If it were not for that prohibition I would have listed a direct link to the BP article or copied and pasted it but I don't want a warning or "time out" from the MOD's who enforce the rules due to copyright issues

Why are we prohibited from posting links? I don't think that's a copyright issue...

Copyright or not, the rules specifically prohibit posting of links:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Forum Rules@ http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

A thaı frıends sıster was sentenced to 33 years for yaba......because her boy frıend crashed ın her apt when she was at work...BIB were lookıng for hım and found hım asleep.

So she was an accomplıce...How does that work, was not even there and the polıce knew she had not seen hım for 6 weeks but because they found hım at her room she was guılty..

Can ı call that 'Thaıness'

Edited by thpon

So, turns out that Yuyee rescued a young leopard destined to be the plaything of a rich and connected Thai. This rich Thai and his pet policemen and officials attempted to extort Yuyee for 400k baht, and when that failed arranged this arrest.

1)Can we have a name of this leopard buyer that controls the police and courts.

2)I was under the impression that Prayuth arranged a coup to end this sort of BS.