Two senior Thai labour officials transferred

webfact

Two senior labour officials transferred
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday transferred two senior labour officials in charge of employment of migrant workers.

Employment Department director-general Prawit Khiangpol was transferred to an inactive post in the PM's Office.

The deputy permanent secretary at the Labour Ministry, Sumet Mahosot, was appointed as acting Employment Department chief, replacing Prawit.

The chief of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Decha Pruekpatanarat, was also moved to an inactive post at the PM's Office as well.

He was replaced by Chon Buri Employment chief Pichit Nilthongkham, who became the acting chief of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration.

In a separate development, caretaker secretary-general of the House of Representatives Chare Panpruang on Wednesday ordered the transfer of 16 government officials at Parliament.

The order came after the NCPO last week ordered the transfer of House secretary-general Suwichag Nakwatcharachai to an inactive post at the PM's Office.

Most of the House officials transferred by Chare worked at the offices related to finance and procurement. Therefore, the transfers have been expected in preparation for a probe into possible corruption allegedly made under Suwichag's lead.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-20

• Like 2

Inactive post in the P.m's office?

There is no P.M.

All I can imagine is a room somewhere where all these people turn up to each day and wander around like zombies. But hang on that is being active.

What really happens to these people?

Seems as if there may well be an ice cold blast of wind rushing through those insulated corridors of power so beloved by the bureaucracy,.

Indeed there seems to be a metamorphosis coming the bureaucrats way at last.whistling.gif

There is a more detailed article in Bkk Post, the Labor Ministry basically ran it like a recruitment agency, forcing employers to take their workers. All for a fee! As I recall it, wasn't the previous Labor Minister someone with the initial C?

It would be very pleasing to many of us on here if the Bentley/Porsche driving former Minister were to be found culpable for all of this; I have longed for the day when we see a picture of him peering through the bars...(and I don't mean the girlie bars)...!!

I've been waiting to see the day authorities are trying to stitch his head back on. ....Unfortunately, he's too much of a gutless wimp to carry through his own promises. ;)

• Like 2

The pm's office is becoming a big employer this way. Kick out the bad guys I say.

I think they will all remain in these inactive posts whilst appropriate investigations take place. Depending on the outcome, they with then either be reinstated or find themselves behind bars...! At that time, I would envisage the good General scrapping all of these 'inactive' posts...!!

It would be worthwhile for the general to set up a panel to look into all these inactive posts and where appropriate, in most cases I suspect, those involved should be out. A lot of cash would be saved on paying salaries for nothing and would help shake the whole system up by showing all active post holders there will be no more moves that are just an expedient, no more line of least resistance.

• Like 2

transferred to an inactive post in the PM's Office...

That inactive post place must be full to the bream by now because we keep hearing

of such transfers to that "inactive post" for years no,, question, what ever happened to

all those people in the inactive post post?do they ever get reactivated?

As Khun Yingluk found out, directly firing government employees is a very difficult and risky endeavor that can and often does backfire. This is true not only in Thailand but in most other countries as well including the Western Democracy s.

Safeguards instituted over the years with the good intention of protecting government employees from political pressures can be twisted and manipulated, making getting rid of bad apples a frustrating and time consuming process. Transferring to an inactive post gets them out of where the damage is being done in the quickest possible way.

Over the years I remember angrily reading of many cases in my home city of incompetent officials who were removed from office, then much later being reinstated with back pay by an obscure Civil Service appeals board.

In the limelight, everything the junta has done seems positive. The true color does not appear in a short period of time because things suppose to get better after the coup. As long as humans still have greed, corruptions will never go away. This includes the junta themselves.

There is no P.M.

All I can imagine is a room somewhere where all these people turn up to each day and wander around like zombies. But hang on that is being active.

I guess they just stay at home or do some other business at full salary.

"Employment Department director-general Prawit Khiangpol was transferred to an inactive post in the PM's Office....The chief of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Decha Pruekpatanarat, was also moved to an inactive post at the PM's Office as well."

I suppose "Administrative leave without pay" and "Immediate investigation with a verdict in 2 weeks" are not concepts in Thailand. Obviously they have the proof they need to dismiss both and indict, try, get a verdict and imprison them. There is no way they would accuse them, be wrong and thus lose face.

Although the present regime is making great strides in approaching justice, they are doing very little to address the legal cultural issues which allow government officials to blatantly violate the law and get off with only being transferred to a "lesser", remain free and collect their salaries.

• Like 1

There is no P.M.

I guess they just stay at home or do some other business at full salary.

Yes but its hard to fire them. But they will be in places where they have no power and can't influence others or protect others. So they can't make any money off the book its a serious problem for them. I would have loved them being removed totally but this is also bad as normal salary is only a small part of their income.

Some of the posts on here appear to be from some alternative universe.

The officials transferred to inactive posts are C9 or above civil servants. Any post above suggesting these people will go to prison tell me the poster has no understanding of how the government works in this country. You're not in Kansas now. They go to the "sin bin" for a few months and lose out on graft opportunities until the time the political masters who are their patrons return or they weasel into the military's good books.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

There is a more detailed article in Bkk Post, the Labor Ministry basically ran it like a recruitment agency, forcing employers to take their workers. All for a fee! As I recall it, wasn't the previous Labor Minister someone with the initial C?

It would be very pleasing to many of us on here if the Bentley/Porsche driving former Minister were to be found culpable for all of this; I have longed for the day when we see a picture of him peering through the bars...(and I don't mean the girlie bars)...!!

Yes..

The reason he has not been transferred to the holding tank is that he is a number one flight risk and everyone knows it. Which is why he is almost certainly already peering through those bars with his equally nauseating offspring.

The Junta already know this guy is going down for a very very long stretch... what an idiot, If he had two braincells to rub together, he should have know their reign was coming to an end and that judgement day would come a calling.... Now he can't.

This could be the end of his freedom for life.... I hope he now appreciates that Yingluck and big bro in Dubai couldn't give a flying fart if he is free or whether he rots in prison till he dies of an ear medicine overdose.

Talk about misplaced loyalty.

Yes, and you can almost feel the popularity of KhunT sliding away as all of his misguided followers are picked off one by one...!! The real telling moment will be when his darling sister is totally left out to dry and starts serving a stretch for her involvement (or at least acquiescence) in the rice disaster.

So there is an obvious problem in this area. Meanwhile the employers of these workers are suing people who have spoken out.

nothing will change whilst they have these extremely strong defamation laws protecting the wrong doers. Good people are silenced out of fear of being sued.