I won't resign, says Hodgson after England shocker

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redknapp, allardyce and bruce. after that you're into the lower divisions and guys like nigel clough.

Stevie, would you really give the job to ANY of those ?

Harry is the best qualified but he is too much of a used car salesman - and arguably too old now.

I have no time for Allardyce and whilst I love Cloughie, McClaren has had better success at Derby and salvaging Sheffield United's season does not tick the boxes for rthe England mananger's job.

Steve Bruce......hmmm interesting one.... never made the England team as a player - but is English.

I would take Martinez or Rodgers over him I think.

redknapp, allardyce and bruce. after that you're into the lower divisions and guys like nigel clough.

Stevie, would you really give the job to ANY of those ?

Harry is the best qualified but he is too much of a used car salesman - and arguably too old now.

I have no time for Allardyce and whilst I love Cloughie, McClaren has had better success at Derby and salvaging Sheffield United's season does not tick the boxes for rthe England mananger's job.

Steve Bruce......hmmm interesting one.... never made the England team as a player - but is English.

I would take Martinez or Rodgers over him I think.

I agree with Harry Enfield...................thumbsup.gif

England have also been unlucky with the group draw, to face two top ten seeded teams... the only team in the competition where that is the case.

How about Ghana and the USA?

Those rankings are not worth very much anyway.

Sorry .... my mistake on that one.

But my main point is that I don't think it is as lost as Hodgson is making out.

I don't think he should be sacked on England's performance against two very good sides.... I think England supporters, The UK media and the FA expect too much from what I would consider a pretty scrap team.

But what I do think, is that if anything he should be sacked for making negative comments about England's chances. That sort of attitude just rubs off on the players leading up to a crucial fixture.

He should be inspiring confidence, and with so many young players, this can backfire on him. They need their confidence boosted, not bashed.

If the bookmakers odds are anything to go by in the remaining games, then England should qualify.

But like I said... It only takes one draw and they are going home early.

Italy is pretty average, Urugay is over the top they reached 4 years ago. The main problem is England was worse than those teams.

IMO this 'group of death' is far from that, and relatively weak.

England were unlucky to be drawn in a group with two top ten teams? What about Costa Rica? They drew THREE top ten teams.

And they seem to be doing rather well. whistling.gif

I think England ought to go outside the country again. Capello didn't work out but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't do the job. The current crop of English candidates seem old, bankrupt of ideas and unable to light a fire under the players. Outside of Capello the recent managers have been part of the England 'ol boy club. And they have failed miserably.

Seems the younger managers of merit are ordinarily tied to a club, but that is the direction I would go. Or somebody like Poyet, as ridiculous as that might sound. If you can't field Latin players who have fire in their belly... then do the next best thing.

• Like 1

I think England ought to go outside the country again. Capello didn't work out but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't do the job. The current crop of English candidates seem old, bankrupt of ideas and unable to light a fire under the players. Outside of Capello the recent managers have been part of the England 'ol boy club. And they have failed miserably.

Seems the younger managers of merit are ordinarily tied to a club, but that is the direction I would go. Or somebody like Poyet, as ridiculous as that might sound. If you can't field Latin players who have fire in their belly... then do the next best thing.

Personally, and this is just me, I don't care if it means not doing as well, the most important thing to me is that the manager of the England side should be English. Second most important thing is that the manager has us playing decent and attractive football. I don't want to win with a foreigner leading us, as to me that is akin to cheating, and nor do i want to win in the way that Greece won the Euros. Do it with style or don't do it at all.

Besides which, we have already been down the foreign manager route. How far did it get us? With SGE we made it to as far as quarters, and with Capello we made it as far as second round. And with both of them we were in the main, as dull as dishwater. Roy has taken us to a quarters already once before, and has us playing a much more expansive type of football. To me, that is progress, even if results haven't gone our way.

Also should be remembered that the most successful England manager in recent history was Venables.

• Like 1

Hodgson tries to explain his formation and tactics.attachicon.gifBHODGEqozziJCYAAMUgH.jpg

If Hodgson was European or South American, and didn't have baggage that he does (read hatred), he wouldn't be being mocked for his tactics or being blamed so much for the results. People would be saying that he had a dynamic and bold approach to the game that would have worked well had the England players been able to step up a bit more and do what he was asking of them.

Hodgson tries to explain his formation and tactics.attachicon.gifBHODGEqozziJCYAAMUgH.jpg

If Hodgson was European or South American, and didn't have baggage that he does (read hatred), he wouldn't be being mocked for his tactics or being blamed so much for the results. People would be saying that he had a dynamic and bold approach to the game that would have worked well had the England players been able to step up a bit more and do what he was asking of them.

OK Rix. You must have a manager from England. The candidates please.smile.png General Dim Sherwood ? Fat Sam ? Pardew ? Mick McCarthy ? Nigel Clough ?

Looks like it would be Redknapp.

When I was running through the list of candidates there were more compelling candidates from Wales than England ! And then Rodgers from N. Ireland.

I'm not trying to be obstinate here, just pointing out that the talent pool from England is darn near laughable.

OK Rix. You must have a manager from England. The candidates please.smile.png General Dim Sherwood ? Fat Sam ? Pardew ? Mick McCarthy ? Nigel Clough ?

Looks like it would be Redknapp.

When I was running through the list of candidates there were more compelling candidates from Wales than England ! And then Rodgers from N. Ireland.

I'm not trying to be obstinate here, just pointing out that the talent pool from England is darn near laughable.

Yes I know mate but if all our choices are crap we have to accept that and just give one of them a chance.

England needs SAF.

Yes, I know he's scottish and they are English and Scots and English hate each other blah blah. But maybe it's time to get over that at some point? Also he's probably not interested. But 4 years from now, he might be. A lot can happen in 4 years.

England's players are better individually than what they're doing on the pitch. Look at Costa Rica - it's a team of nobodies, but they play together as a team, with confidence, and they get results because of it. Individually the players are most certainly worse than England. So the difference is the coach. Their performance against Italy was very impressive - they looked rock solid.

Holland is winning because they have Louis v. Gaal - one of the best coaches in the world. You want a man of that caliber to coach your national team if you're serious about it. Is Chelsea going to hire Hodgson? Is ManU? No they are not.

There is no good English coach, and there is no reason the coach has to be English. It's not one of the rules. The only reason to do so is nationalism, and I am quite happy that that mentality gets punished every time ;) Anyway England's not alone with this, Argentina also has zero team spirit, it's just 11 talented guys on the pitch. I don't think they'll get very far either.

• Like 2

England needs SAF.

Yes, I know he's scottish and they are English and Scots and English hate each other blah blah. But maybe it's time to get over that at some point? Also he's probably not interested. But 4 years from now, he might be. A lot can happen in 4 years.

England's players are better individually than what they're doing on the pitch. Look at Costa Rica - it's a team of nobodies, but they play together as a team, with confidence, and they get results because of it. Individually the players are most certainly worse than England. So the difference is the coach. Their performance against Italy was very impressive - they looked rock solid.

Holland is winning because they have Louis v. Gaal - one of the best coaches in the world. You want a man of that caliber to coach your national team if you're serious about it. Is Chelsea going to hire Hodgson? Is ManU? No they are not.

There is no good English coach, and there is no reason the coach has to be English. It's not one of the rules. The only reason to do so is nationalism, and I am quite happy that that mentality gets punished every time wink.png Anyway England's not alone with this, Argentina also has zero team spirit, it's just 11 talented guys on the pitch. I don't think they'll get very far either.

If you want to know the real reason why Roy will not be sacked and why he is so keen to hang around then take a look at England's qualifying group for the Euros. Remember 24 teams will be in France in 2016.

Switzerland (we saw how good they are against France); Slovenia; Estonia; Lithuania and Rooney's favourite opposition, the mighty San Marino. All England have to do is finish in the top two and even then third place will give you a back door entry through the play offs. Hardly the toughest of tasks for any manager and when you consider the FA will lose face and a small fortune if they sack Roy it really is a no brainer to keep him on..... for now at least. smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo

There is no good English coach, and there is no reason the coach has to be English. It's not one of the rules. The only reason to do so is nationalism, and I am quite happy that that mentality gets punished every time ;)

What is that supposed to mean? Nationalism. You say it like it's a dirty word. You may not have noticed this but the World Cup is a competition of nations. If you want nationalism to be punished you'd better cancel the whole thing... either that or start allowing countries to field players from any country they like.

he's getting an absolutely free ride for being completely incompetent at his job rix. what mocking? what hatred? the press are giving him nothing of the stick and outright abuse that eriksson and capello got. so i don't know what you're on about with this european/south american thing apart from it sounding like a very misplaced persecution complex.

hodgson is an overpaid clown. liverpool fans warned england fans of this a while ago. but you wouldn't have it would you?

del Bosque has offered to resign if it is felt he is not the right man to take Spain forward.

Hodgson won't even if he knew he was not the right man.

Spanish FA has similar issues to English FA.

Conservative old men in grey suits, led by a man Greg Dyke who has no career history in football.

It will not change fast.

Hodgson should stay, but we need to get rid of the old guys, even Lambert is 32 and that is too old, we have great youngsters who should be given the chance to shine now. The next big tournament is on the horizon, start now with the young guys.

Bye bye Gerrard, Lambert, and all those over 26.

Hodgson should stay, but we need to get rid of the old guys, even Lambert is 32 and that is too old, we have great youngsters who should be given the chance to shine now. The next big tournament is on the horizon, start now with the young guys.

....and any manager over 60 ( who is patently out of touch with the modern game.) ?

facepalm.gif

....and any manager over 60 ( who is patently out of touch with the modern game.) ?

facepalm.gif

That is the other problem we are not producing young good quality managers at the moment and relying on the older

ones. This is another aspect that needs looking into. But who is willing to do the job?

facepalm.gif

That is the other problem we are not producing young good quality managers at the moment and relying on the older

ones. This is another aspect that needs looking into. But who is willing to do the job?

Fair point.

I would have given Redknapp the job, not Hodgson.

Young at heart and doing a fine job at Spurs in the modern premier league.

Also a fine motivator of players.

Too late now, we are stuck with Hodgson til 2016.

Then what?

BTW. 87% of English supporters did not want Steve McClaren. What did the FA do?

facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif

Fair point.

I would have given Redknapp the job, not Hodgson.

Young at heart and doing a fine job at Spurs in the modern premier league.

Also a fine motivator of players.

Too late now, we are stuck with Hodgson til 2016.

Then what?

BTW. 87% of English supporters did not want Steve McClaren. What did the FA do?

facepalm.gif

But let's get a understudy for Hodgson, who can take over the reigns from him after 2016, we need to get this person involved in the setup of the England team and the FA, so we have no more unpleasant surprises.

facepalm.gif

This nonsense makes me laugh. Its really got nothing to do with age and is all about desire to win, quality of the players in the team, having a clear plan and executing it.

Imagine Teddy Sheringham being excluded from an England line up cos he is over 26....or Gary Lineker....or take it further back....just ridiculous knee jerk stuff..

• Like 1

facepalm.gif

This nonsense makes me laugh. Its really got nothing to do with age and is all about desire to win, quality of the players in the team, having a clear plan and executing it.

Imagine Teddy Sheringham being excluded from an England line up cos he is over 26....or Gary Lineker....or take it further back....just ridiculous knee jerk stuff..

nothing to do with age, well Spain are out quite an old team, Costa Rica have a youthful team if memory serves me right. Germany have a few older players but most of them have come up the ranks together and have a good understanding of how the other play.

Another thing is that in Europe they have a winter break, maybe we need to reduce the size of the Premiership and have a winter break, also before Internationals no premiership games, so as to give the players a break.

And as someone else mentioned playing teams in the top ten for friendlies would benefit us more.