Thailand downgraded to be among worst human trafficking centres

Lite Beer

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Anti-trafficking law enforcement efforts remained insufficient compared with the size of the problem in Thailand, and corruption at all levels hampered the success of these efforts," the report said.

Fortunately for Thailand there is no Tier 4.

That language from the report re Thailand seems a pretty dead-on accurate assessment of what goes on here, AFAIK.

Glad to see that political considerations didn't prevent the U.S. from placing Thailand in the category where it belongs based on its past and ongoing track record on human trafficking.

Unfortunately, it's an area where the military may have as much or more responsibility or culpability as the Thai police. Let's hope the new regime will do better.

The military does not have a good track record for " getting this sorted". Couldn't be further from the truth if the past in anything to go by. Perhaps General Prayuth will prove to be different from the long list of predecessors. I hope so.

You may very well be correct about the military, but let's consider this. Thaksins elected governments have been in power for over a decade (barring coups) and what did they accomplish? I love it when people try to disregard the unpleasant issues that occurred during that time. They were elected, what did they do to stop human trafficking, SFA, that's what.
Spot on.

Who didn't win an election in over ten years? Correct, the Dems. Who was the government the last 10 out of 12 years or so...? Correct, Thaksin's clan. I think it is fair to say that most of the mess Prayuth is trying to clean up is caused by Thaksin and his team of self serving corrupt politicians.

And you truly think this is Thaksin's fault and these conditions did not exist before he came to power? Were the military under orders from Thaksin to tow the Rohingya out to sea and disable their engines? Did Abhisit attempt to tackle this during his tenure? Who would be the people most likely to benefit from these migrant/illegal/slave workers? Thaksin or the so called "rich elite" in BKK? Would the military Junta even be thinking about this if hadn't been thrown in their faces by the USA? No is the answer you're looking for. People like you immediately shout "Thaksin" without thinking. This stuff has been going on forever and NO government attempted to tackle it yet the only name you are capable of shouting is Thaksin.
It got much worse during Thaksin's reign. You can look it up. It's shown in another paper too. He had more than 10 years to improve it. Looking at his human rights records we shouldn't be surprised he didn't pay much attention to it. Too busy with enriching his Shin clan I guess. Edited by Nickymaster

"Thailand's image" is the problem. If that is the attitude then nothing will change. The poor have always served the rich in Thailand and society is truly hierarchical. Concepts of equality for all are alien in Thailand. The law is a prime example; the law works for those who can grease the system with money. For those without money there is no chance for fairness with the law. Until mindsets change then fairness and equality will remain a foreign concept.

Agree, but it sounds like you're talking about so many other countries as well.

The US Ambassador is using US taxpayer money to limo around to meet with the likes of Mr. Abhisit, and pander to the party leader who led his party in to not showing up for a national election. US taxpayers are very happy to see this wasteful use of US tax dollars to hold such a meeting in a military dictatorship like Thailand, the day of the human trafficking report.

Yes, taxpayers must be livid because all other ambassadors ride bicycles and eat only at KFC.

This is serious business for anyone who cares about human rights. For some reason the full scope of this story doesn't seem to have hit the mainstream media in America and when it does... Americans of their own volition will stop buying anything made in Thailand. When Thailand refused to sign the UN resolution it really screwed the pooch.

Considering that Americans are the #2 buyer of Thai exports, have a major investment in manufacturing in Thailand, provide Thailand with some of its best military hardware, and have a treaty to defend Thailand if attacked, I'd say that Thailand had better wake up.

If Thailand loses America, Canada, Australia and the EU it is toast. It won't require governments. The people will boycott.

Yeah, right... The USA having such an unblemished sheet on human right abuses.... like the general american public will stop buying products beacause of Thailands record ! its all down to price, they coiuldnt give a s*it about anything else.

Does the average american have any concept of life outside of its own country ? seems unless they are in another country killing people the US public have little understanding of the world around them.

Many families in Thailand find it normal to sell their own daughters and as soon as they come back with a kid or 2 subsequently traffic them in to prostitution to pay the bills...

With this mindset you can't expect anybody to be bothered about human trafficking.

Name one.

That is a silly challenge. There are endless cases like this one. You are either in denial

or have not been here very long.... Guess this would be called family slavery.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/brisbane-woman-pleads-guilty-to-20-offences-including-child-trafficking-and-prostituting-her-own-daughter/story-e6freoof-1226621452916

"The Thai-born mother, now aged 41, first brought her daughter to Australia from Thailand for a six week holiday in 2004 during which she sold her 9-year-old daughter for sexual purposes.

Prosecutor Todd Fuller said the mother ran a massage and prostitution business from her Runcorn home on Brisbane's southside.

He said in August 2006 the girl left Thailand to live with her and immediately put her to work providing sexual services.

The court was told the mum advertised her then 11-year-old to clients as the "new girl'' and coerced her to do in and out calls as a sex worker until September 2011."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Looks like the Cambodian slaves are voting with their feet. Not like this event has any effect whatsoever on individule Thais or will change the culture of slavery in Asia. Perhaps America needs to look at its own use of slaves in their foreign enterprises as well as domestic?

The U.S. continues to monitor this and American companies understand full well that the American public will turn away from products shown to be produced with slave labor. If not out of moral outrage the companies will respond to economic pressure.

Here are some examples of American child labour, where is the moral outrage from the American public on these clips from Human Rights Watch ?. The Hypocrisy of the US and US citizens in relation to this is despicable. When is the USA going to downgrade itself. ?

I would appreciate your views on these videos, or the views of other Americans. But I know that you will not reply, you and other Americans will stick your heads in the sand.

"found themselves added to a nations such as Iran, North Korea and Syria" cheesy.gif

Really?

You are actually rolling on the floor and laughing because of that?

How old are you?

You don't have to be very old to know and laugh at the thought the U.S. are fools to be suggesting a box around any country for anything when they should judge themselves or better still another watchdog agency check on the U.S. Abuses of their own people. Does Mexico come to mind and the Rio Grande. Quite a good match for the so called slaves coming into Thailand. Quite laughable REALLY.

"found themselves added to a nations such as Iran, North Korea and Syria" cheesy.gif

Really?

How old are you?

You don't have to be very old to know and laugh at the thought the U.S. are fools to be suggesting a box around any country for anything when they should judge themselves or better still another watchdog agency check on the U.S. Abuses of their own people. Does Mexico come to mind and the Rio Grande. Quite a good match for the so called slaves coming into Thailand. Quite laughable REALLY.

This I am certain of: if a credible human rights organization like Human Rights Watch will claim that there are serious human rights problems in the US, the answer will not be "but it is worse in Thailand, mind your own business."

Edited by jope
  • Like 1

Chooka

Thanks to the U.S for single handedly saving the world whislt the rest sat on their ends and did nothing. Don't forget that the U.S didn't come in until the enemy was already on it's knees thanks to allies but the U.S as usual claims all the credit.

Do you not realize that they are talking about the second world war. When Germany was capturing North Africa they already had captured Europe and had England on the ropes until the States enter the war and turned it around.

In the Pacific the Japanese had pretty well control over the whole Pacific Ocean Australia and New Zealand along with Hawaii was the only thing they didn't have control of. If they had not entered and turned their industrial power on to combating the Germans and the Japanese the rest of the nations would have lost it.

Did you get your history lessons in a Thai school?

I cannot believe it, I actually agree with you (completely even). I know, I know, not that you care. Anyway...

As i understand the only thing thailand is worried about is that aid maybe cut off from the usa?

America has every right to stop giving aid to thailand, its the american tax payers money?

What aid does Thailand receive from the US apart from the tiny military payment which has already been cut off ?

Chooka

Thanks to the U.S for single handedly saving the world whislt the rest sat on their ends and did nothing. Don't forget that the U.S didn't come in until the enemy was already on it's knees thanks to allies but the U.S as usual claims all the credit.

Do you not realize that they are talking about the second world war. When Germany was capturing North Africa they already had captured Europe and had England on the ropes until the States enter the war and turned it around.

In the Pacific the Japanese had pretty well control over the whole Pacific Ocean Australia and New Zealand along with Hawaii was the only thing they didn't have control of. If they had not entered and turned their industrial power on to combating the Germans and the Japanese the rest of the nations would have lost it.

Did you get your history lessons in a Thai school?

It sounds like The USA joined the war when it came to them. They didn't intentionally save anyone's asses, they joined in to prevent the same fate happening to them which it would have without a doubt given enough time.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Bloody hillbillies living in trailers How dare the USA threaten our beloved Junta just remember we have aircraft carriers and America is not all that far away we will come and get you sanctions indeed. we will give you tier 3

• Like 2

Bloody hillbillies living in trailers How dare the USA threaten our beloved Junta just remember we have aircraft carriers and America is not all that far away we will come and get you sanctions indeed. we will give you tier 3

biggrin.png

I give you an "über"-like for that.

I wonder if they'll consider where the demand is for sex workers.

They only tackle the suppliers, ie poor countries, but forget that many of these women and children are exported to America itself.

But then that would put US on their own list, which wouldn't work for them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmm, if Thailand wants to clean up it's human rights record, perhaps they should start with the families in northern Thailand that force their daughters into prostitution.

A silly, irrelevant and cheap-shot analogy, if I may say so.

Brewster, a converstion I was having with a gentleman up there, he brought up 'wanted a daughter so he could send overseas to get her to send money back to him' circa 2006. He did have a daughter, but was thick set and overweight; not good attributes for the trade.

I just thought, lucky daughter.

• Like 1

Really?

How old are you?

The USA is comparing Thailand to these dictatorships, who fund terrorists and terrorism, who have nuclear weapons programs and actively threaten their neighbours with violence and threat of war .

After reading that comparison you cant take the USA seriously.

Also know this, that the USA is the only western country to use weapons of mass destruction on civilians.

I think you are missing the point that this grading relates solely to human trafficking and human rights issues and is nothing to do with nuclear weapons or terrorism and therefore the grading is not comparing countries on the footing you suggest.

Thailand has been called out for consistently talking the talk but not walking the walk. Finally the penny is dropping that other countries can see right through the bull and pretence and some weight given to demands that some action be taken. The only major beneficiaries of these evil practices are the corrupt and the human misery resulting is an utter disgrace. It is entirely right that it is exposed and shamed.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Washington not yet decide on sanctions against Thailand

BANGKOK, 22 June 2014 (NNT) - The U.S. has announced that it will not yet impose sanctions on 23 countries, including Thailand, it downgraded to the lowest “Tier 3” of the U.S. human trafficking watch list.

Ambassador-at-Large to Combating Human Trafficking in Asia Luis CdeBaca said whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on Thailand depended on U.S. President Barack Obama. The U.S. mostly waited to see how the countries in “Tier 3” tackled the problem and considered support for them before making a decision on sanctions against them, the ambassador said.

As for Thailand, Mr CdeBaca said Thailand had made a good effort in eradicating human trafficking but there had not been sufficient results. He also remarked that Thailand needed to reform the legal system and ensure transparency in investigations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-22 footer_n.gif

As for Thailand, Mr CdeBaca said Thailand had made a good effort in eradicating human trafficking but there had not been sufficient results. He also remarked that Thailand needed to reform the legal system and ensure transparency in investigations.

Of course the legal sytsem in the U.S.A. is of course flawless and transparency is plainly evident in all investigations ?

Mr CdeBaca . Indeed this man is coming over as a pompous self important piece of work .A legend in his own mind no doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miscarriage_of_justice_cases

• Like 1