Food producers to act on US downgrade

Lite Beer

Food producers to act on US downgrade
Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Manufacturers may get 'third party' to do labour checks; will seek US advice

Food manufacturers are preparing to work with American importers and a third party like the International Labour Organisation (ILO) to facilitate an audit or traceable inspections of food plants to make the point that Thais treat their workers well.

In response to the US downgrade of Thailand as among the world's worst at countering human trafficking, the Thai Frozen Foods Association will this week fly to the US for a meeting with importers and super stores to convince them to continue importing Thai products.

Poj Aramwattananont, president of the association, said that food manufacturers are highly alert to the US report on labour. The association, as a representative of the Thai seafood manufacturers and fishery industries, will soon meet with the National Fisheries Institutes (NFI) of the US to try to ensure that they will continue to have high confidence in importing food from Thailand.

"The US Trafficking in Persons Report [TIP] has created a bad reputation for Thai food industries," Poj said. "So, the association and involved organisations need to urgently solve the problem. Exports are not yet impacted as Thai enterprises have always worked on labour protection and addressed the concerns of our trading partners."

He said he and the association's members would spend a week in the US for a meeting with the NFI and importers such as Walmart and other modern traders so that they continue to buy Thai food products.

Teams will head to the US

Poj also explained that normally Thai exporters and importers agree on a system that is "traceable". Importers have sent teams to inspect Thai plants regularly. However, in this difficult period, he felt a third party was needed to reaffirm confidence in Thai plants and the fisheries industry - from upstream to downstream production.

According to the association, the US is one of Thailand's major seafood and frozen foods importers, particularly Thai shrimp and tuna.

Shrimp exports to the US account for about 38 per cent of total export value while tuna exports to the US account for 20 per cent.

Besides private enterprises who have moved on the labour issue, the Commerce Ministry has instructed the Thai Trade Representative in Washington DC to increase understanding among American importers and government agencies in a bid to prevent any impact on Thai trade with the US.

Srirat Rastapana, permanent secretary at the ministry, said that the American NFI has insisted on continuing trade with Thailand.

The NFI has a good understanding of the Thai shrimp industry. It has said that there are labour problems in only some parts of the shrimp industry, which the Thai government needs to solve. The NFI also insisted that it would not do business or import products from plants that have low labour protection and safety standards.

To prevent any impact on Thai trading, the ministry and other involved ministries will soon send a team to the US for a meeting with government agencies, private enterprises, and directly with American consumers in various states of the US to send a clear message on Thai labour protection measures.

Asked whether there were concerns about losing the Generalised System of Preference, Srirat said the human-trafficking report would not affect the Thai GSP because under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act 2000, the US administration could not withdraw trade privileges or benefits related to trading issues of trading partner countries.

In the near future, the ministry will also meet with involved private enterprises to outline long-term plans for increasing efficiency on labour protection.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-22

The Thais should fund the US inspectors to visit the shrimping factories. Let them see first hand that the Thais are cleaning up. Thais visiting and sending "teams" to the US is insufficient and mere smoke screen.

Then the us inspector will find the abuse first hand. Not what Thais would like.

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"The US Trafficking in Persons Report [TIP] has created a bad reputation for Thai food industries,"

Typical Thai reaction. Nobody else than the Thais themselves have created a bad reputation for the Thai food industry and Thailand. The downgrade is more than well deserved.But instead of starting to accept responsibility and taking action it is the usual "we have to avoid loss of face"

If you had watched TV on Friday night you would see that Prayuth has undertaken to tackle this problem. He didn't look like a man that was losing face. He very clearly stated that there were corrupt officials on both sides of the borders, and that the problem had been exacerbated by the minimum daily wage law which resulted in a huge increase in people smuggling.

We shall see what happens with the shrimping boats and trash fish boats, but I am still optimistic.

I haven't seen Gen P. on the TV but I know that talk is cheap, especially in Thailand. When he really is serious about tackling the problem, why he not start with withdrawing the case against Reuters and the 2 journalists from Pukhetwan? He is the commanding general and can order it. Or do you believe he has evidence proving Reuters wrong? Why the army is not more open about every action concerning the mass exodus of the Cambodians? There were news about beatings by soldiers and 9 deaths? When this changes and the Army confess that some of their own are involved in the slave trade and exploitation of foreign workers then I happily admit that he is serious about the whole problem. Till then "typical Thai reaction".

I know, I know, I am still reserving judgement, but things look good. From his point of view, this is a minor problem. He is also working closely with the Thai navy at present, so wait and see, he is in a tricky position.- any actions involving shrimping boats will have to involve the navy, he is setting up centres for collecting and repatriating illegal workers. I saw him on TV and he comes across as being sincere. He HAS admitted that police officers, officials and army personnel have been involved. The smuggling of hundreds of thousands og illegal workers seems more important to me than law suits that are likely to drag on for years.

The Cambodians (and Burmese): rumours were spread that the army were shooting ilegal workers. Obviously they haven't, we would have heard about it. Why were the rumours spread? The people that earn big money importing illegal workers want to earn again by reimporting them. ( ฿28 000.- a throw). I see that the Cambodian government has reduced the price of a passport from, $135 to $4, presumably working in cooperation with Prayuth, thereby making them able to enter the country legally.

• Like 1

Withdrawing cases against whistle-blowers, journalists & NGOs, would be a good start.

Perhaps the general might issue orders, or indicate to Thai producers that this will be future-policy, to demonstrate that this will be a real change in attitude ?

Time for real change, not just talk.

Oh hell's bells and buckets of blood, he has done a lot more than talk. Rice farmers got paid, school tablet scheme got stopped, high speed train scam scheme put off for a long time, irrigation schemes instead of rice subsidies, anarchy in Bangkok suppressed from one day to the other.... and a lot more. I have every sympathy Andy Hall, who is now out on bail. If

you think that this is the most important thing for the junta to sort out then maybe you should do some reading. The trial will drag on and on.

• Like 1

"The US Trafficking in Persons Report [TIP] has created a bad reputation for Thai food industries,"

Typical Thai reaction. Nobody else than the Thais themselves have created a bad reputation for the Thai food industry and Thailand. The downgrade is more than well deserved.But instead of starting to accept responsibility and taking action it is the usual "we have to avoid loss of face"

If you had watched TV on Friday night you would see that Prayuth has undertaken to tackle this problem. He didn't look like a man that was losing face. He very clearly stated that there were corrupt officials on both sides of the borders, and that the problem had been exacerbated by the minimum daily wage law which resulted in a huge increase in people smuggling.

We shall see what happens with the shrimping boats and trash fish boats, but I am still optimistic.

Both good points. The US markets are just as anxious to buy as the Thais are to sell so I doubt there will be significant sanctions unless there is a more popular boycott. Let's hope the general seizes this opportunity for reform being handed to him by the US.

Both good points. The US markets are just as anxious to buy as the Thais are to sell so I doubt there will be significant sanctions unless there is a more popular boycott. Let's hope the general seizes this opportunity for reform being handed to him by the US.

Interesting point also. Andy Hall's bail was paid for, (wait for it) :

The Thai Frozen Foods Association (TFFA) and Thai Tuna Industry Association (TTIA) !

I haven't seen Gen P. on the TV but I know that talk is cheap, especially in Thailand. When he really is serious about tackling the problem, why he not start with withdrawing the case against Reuters and the 2 journalists from Pukhetwan? He is the commanding general and can order it. Or do you believe he has evidence proving Reuters wrong? Why the army is not more open about every action concerning the mass exodus of the Cambodians? There were news about beatings by soldiers and 9 deaths? When this changes and the Army confess that some of their own are involved in the slave trade and exploitation of foreign workers then I happily admit that he is serious about the whole problem. Till then "typical Thai reaction".

I know, I know, I am still reserving judgement, but things look good. From his point of view, this is a minor problem. He is also working closely with the Thai navy at present, so wait and see, he is in a tricky position.- any actions involving shrimping boats will have to involve the navy, he is setting up centres for collecting and repatriating illegal workers. I saw him on TV and he comes across as being sincere. He HAS admitted that police officers, officials and army personnel have been involved. The smuggling of hundreds of thousands og illegal workers seems more important to me than law suits that are likely to drag on for years.

The Cambodians (and Burmese): rumours were spread that the army were shooting ilegal workers. Obviously they haven't, we would have heard about it. Why were the rumours spread? The people that earn big money importing illegal workers want to earn again by reimporting them. ( ฿28 000.- a throw). I see that the Cambodian government has reduced the price of a passport from, $135 to $4, presumably working in cooperation with Prayuth, thereby making them able to enter the country legally.

I saw him on TV and he comes across as sincere.

How long you been in Thailand mate? That's precisely what they are world class at: looking sincere. smile.png

'Teams will head to the US'

Sorry, but this is just crap.

There is no point sending teams on a nice little 'all expenses paid' mission to try to convince US importers to continue to import Thai products and that their country's response is not true.

The importers are ONLY interested in products that customers on the high street are going to be happy to consume. It is the consumer who is going to make the final decision on this matter.... not the importers or the supermarkets.

What they really should be doing is assemble a crack team of undercover 'non-thai' assessment officers who pose as migrant workers and go and actually work in these industries such as fishing boats, fruit packing factories, large scale farms etc.... Do 2 weeks work and make a report based on their findings.

Let the nation's employers and 'anyone' who uses migrant labour know that anyone who they employ could be a potential undercover assessment officer.

Same with these 'so called agents'... the traffickers themselves, have people from migrating countries posing as migrant workers and come in via these 'middle men' and even through the state employment service to monitor the situation first hand.

That would have much more of a positive impact on the problem, than jetting off to New York on a taxpayer funded holiday barking up the wrong tree. All they are doing is stoking the fire by trying to convince American importers that the US are wrong. Probably just end up pissing people off over there.

• Like 1

Can you imagine an ispection body set up here to check all the food-proccessing plants nationwide..? If the team is made up of any Thais & are given any 'power' to penalise any factories seen to be breaking any guidelines (I say 'guidelines' because there will be no 'law' as such)..then it's

just another licence to extort money in return for the relevant 'approval stamp' that business needs...TiT.

Could be interesting to just how in depth and positive action may be when both the producers and the consumers scream aloud concerning the price of raw materials processed or otherwise and the final prices to the consumer durable's or foodstuffs foods etc.

Money always shouts the loudest and principles can and are bought.whistling.gif

its all very simple. If there is no interest or concern in a consumer boycott (and no automatic ban of imports), no one will give a shit and things will be done quietly behind closed doors after the hub-hub dies down. If there is a consumer boycott (and although tesco shot themselves in the foot spectacularly in the Guardian the other day, no one but about 20 people gave a crap), then companies will make a "stand". This isnt about proving anything. Its about horse-trading and timelines.

The Thais should fund the US inspectors to visit the shrimping factories. Let them see first hand that the Thais are cleaning up. Thais visiting and sending "teams" to the US is insufficient and mere smoke screen.

When followed by a tour to the local go-gos, sure, ought to do the trick.

I completely understand your idea, and it would be beneficial, except for one thing. It is an election year. Any legislator on this trip to get the facts would be labeled by their opponents as being on a junket, a free vacation trip, paid for by the Thai government. Unfortunately, those legislators next career would be working on the same fishing boats. This idea would have to wait until next year, and hopefully, by then, the U.S. will have upgraded Thailand again.

The Thai's must convince the Walmart's, Safeway's, and Raley's that the only profitable move for the grocers is for them to stay with Thai products. The vendors will look out for themselves, and the Americans will still buy Thai shrimp. They all do now, and it works for them. Profit is #1 for the retailers.

Withdrawing cases against whistle-blowers, journalists & NGOs, would be a good start.

Perhaps the general might issue orders, or indicate to Thai producers that this will be future-policy, to demonstrate that this will be a real change in attitude ?

Time for real change, not just talk.

Oh hell's bells and buckets of blood, he has done a lot more than talk. Rice farmers got paid, school tablet scheme got stopped, high speed train scam scheme put off for a long time, irrigation schemes instead of rice subsidies, anarchy in Bangkok suppressed from one day to the other.... and a lot more. I have every sympathy Andy Hall, who is now out on bail. If

you think that this is the most important thing for the junta to sort out then maybe you should do some reading. The trial will drag on and on.

I hope you're feeling better, having got all that off your chest, much of what you say is of course true.

But this thread (and my quoted reply) is about the response to the external-criticism of Thailand's factory work-practices, and the country's recent downgrading to join some very unsavoury company, so I was suggesting that similarly real action is required on this subject too.

A P.R. snow-job, meeting American importers or the ILO, doesn't quite cut it, for me. Dropping the case against Andy Hall, and opening the doors to on-the-ground inspections, might be better. But the OP reads as though this is merely a reputation problem, rather than a real issue, which needs to be sorted out on-the-ground in Thailand.

'Teams will head to the US'

Sorry, but this is just crap.

There is no point sending teams on a nice little 'all expenses paid' mission to try to convince US importers to continue to import Thai products and that their country's response is not true.

The importers are ONLY interested in products that customers on the high street are going to be happy to consume. It is the consumer who is going to make the final decision on this matter.... not the importers or the supermarkets.

What they really should be doing is assemble a crack team of undercover 'non-thai' assessment officers who pose as migrant workers and go and actually work in these industries such as fishing boats, fruit packing factories, large scale farms etc.... Do 2 weeks work and make a report based on their findings.

Let the nation's employers and 'anyone' who uses migrant labour know that anyone who they employ could be a potential undercover assessment officer.

Same with these 'so called agents'... the traffickers themselves, have people from migrating countries posing as migrant workers and come in via these 'middle men' and even through the state employment service to monitor the situation first hand.

That would have much more of a positive impact on the problem, than jetting off to New York on a taxpayer funded holiday barking up the wrong tree. All they are doing is stoking the fire by trying to convince American importers that the US are wrong. Probably just end up pissing people off over there.

A 2-week undercover stint on a fishing boat could easily tuen into 2 years. The slave boats seldom touch the dock.

The factories/food plants are way up the chain and can easily be sanitised for visits.

Start at the root of the problem which is the fishing boats.