USA vs Portugal - Mon 23 June, 05:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

When I was 12, I went to an American school for the 1st time, as I had been schooled in Europe prior to that. During PE (physical education) class, we went to play soccer for the first and only time. As I had been in Europe, it had been 2nd nature. But all the American boys I played with - didn't have a clue (there weren't any immigrants in my school, only black or white 'home boys'). Every time a boy got the ball, he immediately kicked it as hard as he could in the direction of the goal. I pleaded with the PE instructor to teach the boys basic things like 'pass the ball' or 'dribble the ball' ...but the coach just smiled and shrugged his shoulders, like; 'I don't know squat.'

That was 1964, and the US has come a looooong way since then, thanks mightily to immigrants, but also to sons and daughters of those 'home boys' who, at the time, couldn't play soccer any better than Nepalese can surf.

Go USA!

When I was 12, I went to an American school for the 1st time, as I had been schooled in Europe prior to that. During PE (physical education) class, we went to play soccer for the first and only time. As I had been in Europe, it had been 2nd nature. But all the American boys I played with - didn't have a clue (there weren't any immigrants in my school, only black or white 'home boys'). Every time a boy got the ball, he immediately kicked it as hard as he could in the direction of the goal. I pleaded with the PE instructor to teach the boys basic things like 'pass the ball' or 'dribble the ball' ...but the coach just smiled and shrugged his shoulders, like; 'I don't know squat.'

That was 1964, and the US has come a looooong way since then, thanks mightily to immigrants, but also to sons and daughters of those 'home boys' who, at the time, couldn't play soccer any better than Nepalese can surf.

Go USA!

Perhaps even show the Brits how a game can be won....

• Like 2

Did anyone watching on True Channel 668 hear any of the 1st half commentary ?

I could hear the voices but only just and it sounded like someone mumbling. Have no idea where the problem was but the 2nd half is back to normal sond level.

that URL is blocked on my computer. Thai gov't lettering on a green background. why?

I will be careful with this but the Daily Mail was blocked after reporting on the activities a very, very important Thai in the south of England.

I could hear the voices but only just and it sounded like someone mumbling. Have no idea where the problem was but the 2nd half is back to normal sond level.

I had the same problem in some of the early matches. Switched to Ch 99 and the English-language commentary was loud and clear. Never had a problem with Ch 99. It's not HD but the picture is excellent.

Same thing here with first half sound. 1-1 GO USA!

I had the same problem in some of the early matches. Switched to Ch 99 and the English-language commentary was loud and clear. Never had a problem with Ch 99. It's not HD but the picture is excellent.

Thanks for reminder about Ch 99 as i regret to admit forgot all about it. So used to wanting HD.

Half way....going to eat breakfast. We are in Pai, so need to find an early morning special for the last half of the game. Should be good eating, and a good game. licklips.gif

breakfast at 5.45 I have to make do with a pork pie and a can of cider.make that 2 pork pies.tongue.png

Interesting situation in Group G. Portugal and Ghana must both win their final game but a draw between Germany and German legend Jurgen Klinnsman's USA would ensure both of those two qualify regardless.

Anyone care to bet on a cagey nil-nil? smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Go USA!

Within the next 20 or 30 years the USA will be a major force in international football, right up there with the very best in my opinion.

The structure and ideas that Klinsmann is now implementing will stand them in good stead for years to come.

• Like 1

The U.S. could lose to Germany and still advance if Ghana and Portugal play to a draw. If either Ghana or Portugal wins and the U.S. loses, the Americans would have four points in the standings, the same as the winner of that match. The Americans would then have to win a tiebreaker against that team.

Here are the FIFA tiebreakers in the order they come into play:
- Goal differential (Germany 4, US 1, Ghana -1, Portugal -4)
- Goals scored (Germany 6, US 4, Ghana 3, Portugal 2)
- Head to head result (The US beat Ghana, but drew against Portugal)
- Drawing of lots (A random drawing, but this would only come into play with a blowout Portugal win and/or a blowout U.S loss considering the goal differential between the two teams is now a total of five goals.)

So, put simply, Americans should be rooting for Portugal if there has to be a winner because the spread in goal differential (1 to -4) is so great that it's unlikely Portugal would make it up to bring goals scored into play (a category that the U.S also leads 4 to 2 over Portugal).

• Like 1

Go USA!

Within the next 20 or 30 years the USA will be a major force in international football, right up there with the very best in my opinion.

The structure and ideas that Klinsmann is now implementing will stand them in good stead for years to come.

Agree.

Q. What's the difference between England squad, USA squad, Klinsmann and Hodgson?

A. US have more talented players.

Yeah. Right.

laugh.png