kanchanaburi a fantastic place to live

salavan

At least, Kan has a "farang-mile" (actually only about 500 meters). I go there for weekends occasionally. Other than that, Kan is only another mid-size town like a hundred others. Very hot too. (Almost Isaan-Like).

Along the "farang-mile" they TAKE your money with both hands and give you back the change with ONE hand. (Standard tourist-spot circus).

Cheers.

Please allow me to translate the OP into "Jaded Expat-ese"

the shop staff are so polite they give you your change with 2 hands a wai and kopoon ka/krup,

The shop staff are the nosiest bastards I’ve ever met. My life is none of their business, yet they keep probing me for personal details.

the shower water that comes from the imfamous river kwai is so clean im sure you could drink it,

The water in the shower comes straight from the filthy river, and I could swear I had a minnow hit me in the face while I was shaving last week.

the people which has a very large ethnic chinese population are so frindly always give a cherry wave and eager to stop you on your way and have a chat,

I’m constantly being approached by touts trying to scam me out of something or another.

the weather here is warm so sling that coat away,

It’s so fricking hot. And all the fricking time! I miss the winter time.

the motorist drive at a very slow pace and always give way whenever possible,

It takes forever just to get across town. The drivers are absolute idiots who can’t seem to make up their minds.

BTW, I love K-Buri and if my company would mail my paycheck there, I'd move up in a minute. Glad you're enjoying the place as much as I alw

not far off congratulations impulse

Please allow me to translate the OP into "Jaded Expat-ese"

the shop staff are so polite they give you your change with 2 hands a wai and kopoon ka/krup,

The shop staff are the nosiest bastards I’ve ever met. My life is none of their business, yet they keep probing me for personal details.

the shower water that comes from the imfamous river kwai is so clean im sure you could drink it,

The water in the shower comes straight from the filthy river, and I could swear I had a minnow hit me in the face while I was shaving last week.

the people which has a very large ethnic chinese population are so frindly always give a cherry wave and eager to stop you on your way and have a chat,

I’m constantly being approached by touts trying to scam me out of something or another.

the weather here is warm so sling that coat away,

It’s so fricking hot. And all the fricking time! I miss the winter time.

the motorist drive at a very slow pace and always give way whenever possible,

It takes forever just to get across town. The drivers are absolute idiots who can’t seem to make up their minds.

BTW, I love K-Buri and if my company would mail my paycheck there, I'd move up in a minute. Glad you're enjoying the place as much as I alw

not far off congratulations impulse

sarcasm the lowest form of wit

I also think Kanchanaburi is a great place, can be a bit hot in April/May. The next town up, Nong Bua also has a bridge you can sit around and enjoy a cold one and something to eat. I have been many times kayaking down the River Kwai and I don't think I would drink that water as sewage get pumped straight into it from some of the resorts....

Have you been further north to Sangkhlaburi, that place is also worth a visit....

• Like 2

Not too mention the golf - shoosh. That one that belongs to EGAT about 60km NW of KAN. That has to be one of the toughest course's in Thailand. You need to be a mountain goat on some holes. Cheap golf too and worth a visit just to say you finished it.

Hellfire pass and the museum is a good day out as well.

• Like 1

Not too mention the golf - shoosh. That one that belongs to EGAT about 60km NW of KAN. That has to be one of the toughest course's in Thailand. You need to be a mountain goat on some holes. Cheap golf too and worth a visit just to say you finished it.

Hellfire pass and the museum is a good day out as well.

Yeah, agreed some great courses to, and the prices are excellent. This thread has got me thinking of heading up there for a few days of golf

I Think Kanchanaburi is a wonderful place and a good choice of location to live in Thailand.Its beautiful,good all year temperatures making it perfect for an " outdoor lifestyle ". You have loads of places to visit close by.Using the local buses,bicycle or better still the fabulous Railway Network that links Kanchanaburi to Thonburi ( Bangkok Noi ) for a cool 100 baht ( expensive due to it now being a " tourist line " ) and a great way to get away from all the " Ex Pat & British Clubs " ....wink.png

• Like 1

There are quite a few threads floating around on TVF, describing their new place of residence in Thailand as a "great place to live". Basically nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that disturbs me, is that hardly can there be found any comments, that describe the "exodus" from those "great places to live".

I guess it's like old soldiers.They never die, they just fade away.

The OP may want to report back here, 6 months from now.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Oh dear, what has the OP's done now? facepalm.gif

A nice sleepy old town (4kms long appox.) and (only on Sundays btw, busy as hell on other days) 3rd largest province in Thailand, and as mentioned, prices by Muggi1968 correct and by canarysun a great way to get away from all the "Ex Pat & British Clubs whistling.gif

My view of Kan and "Thailand as I see it" Kan be found in the link below

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Together with the "Big C" now opened north of the town, just pass the Famous Railway Line, there is no need to go to Lotus Tesco any more. Our round trip to there was 24kms and now appox. just under 10kms.

Most of all "Welcome to Kanchanaburi" as all are most welcomed. wai.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Can't argue with that Muggi, although I have found at times that it does get bloody hot, far hotter than other places I've lived in. December and January though the weather is lovely and cool.

This thread has made me decide to go back for a few days next month

I put a kitchen in my girlfriends new home in April,40+. Never again,but the place seems nice. Been here a few times but never at farang mile.

Sent from my ZTE V769M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Oh dear, what has the OP's done now? facepalm.gif

A nice sleepy old town (4kms long appox.) and (only on Sundays btw, busy as hell on other days) 3rd largest province in Thailand, and as mentioned, prices by Muggi1968 correct and by canarysun a great way to get away from all the "Ex Pat & British Clubs whistling.gif

My view of Kan and "Thailand as I see it" Kan be found in the link below

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Together with the "Big C" now opened north of the town, just pass the Famous Railway Line, there is no need to go to Lotus Tesco any more. Our round trip to there was 24kms and now appox. just under 10kms.

Most of all "Welcome to Kanchanaburi" as all are most welcomed. wai.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Be carefull about the railway. I went by train 1 time and the train ran of the tracks just outside say yok... somebody had removed the nails that hold the steel tracks facepalm.gif

wai.gif

• Like 1

Hi Salavan,

About 10km north of Kanchanaburi is the town called Nong Bua, it also has a bridge and this is a great place to get a feed and relax with a cold one. There is a resort in Nong Bua worth visiting, called 'Xanadu 2008' run by an English guy and his Thai wife. A beautiful property backing onto the river kwai, a great place to put your kayak in and float back into town.

• Like 1