ATM Daily Limit

Bangkok Bank ATM's have a daily foreign debit card withdrawal limit of 25,000 baht and a fee for that service of 150 baht. I use my card to withdraw cash from a foreign-based account for these transactions. I would prefer no fee, but would be happier if I could at least get more cash for the fee I have to pay. I know I can do counter cash advance transactions for large amounts at no fee, but they are a real pain in the rear end -- and typically time-consuming.

Is there any ATM in Thailand that beats this? A higher daily limit and/or a lower fee? Or is this as good as it gets?

I still mourn the loss of the Aeon no fee withdrawals . . .

I'm pretty sure I've seen several posts in other related TV threads that TMB ATMs allow Bt30K per withdrawal...and there were one or two other Thai banks that allowed Bt30K. But it seems the majority are in the Bt20-25K ballpark. Do a search on TV and you should get some info. But the Bt150-Bt180 per withdrawal is applied by all Thai bank/AEON ATMs and they may be drifting towards standardizing on Bt180...a higher fee is always better...just ask any bankster. Now I have also seen a "few" posts where people swear they were not charged any Bt150-180 fee because their card is from bank XYZ in country XYZ but those may be special Visa/Mastercard cards, the posters may have instead selected the DCC rip-off exchange rate sometimes offered by the ATM which sometimes waivers the Bt150-180 fee, or they just thought no fee was applied but there was.

I've tried '25000' at several ATMs and the transaction has been rejected with 'invalid amount' - I know my daily withdrawal limit is over 30k baht at the current exchange rate. Like the OP, I'll be Interested to hear from anyone who has withdrawn 25-30k from a given bank's ATM recently.

I'm pretty sure I've seen several posts in other related TV threads that TMB ATMs allow Bt30K per withdrawal...and there were one or two other Thai banks that allowed Bt30K. But it seems the majority are in the Bt20-25K ballpark. Do a search on TV and you should get some info. But the Bt150-Bt180 per withdrawal is applied by all Thai bank/AEON ATMs and they may be drifting towards standardizing on Bt180...a higher fee is always better...just ask any bankster. Now I have also seen a "few" posts where people swear they were not charged any Bt150-180 fee because their card is from bank XYZ in country XYZ but those may be special Visa/Mastercard cards, the posters may have instead selected the DCC rip-off exchange rate sometimes offered by the ATM which sometimes waivers the Bt150-180 fee, or they just thought no fee was applied but there was.

OR, they may have been referring to their card-issuing bank. My bank, Schwab charges no fees for an ATM transaction, but I get hit on this end. Actually, Schwab reimburses all the fees charged by Thai banks. One might ask, "Then why are you concerned?" My answer is simply that I do not want to take undue advantage of this generous service offered by Schwab.

I'll try 30,000 baht pull at TMB and Ayudaya. Of course, if the fee at those ATM's is 180 baht, it is the same charge per baht at BKK's 150 baht for 25,000.

I sure would like to find a 40-50,000 baht ATM.

Edited by noendtoit

And I'd like one that dispensed 100K baht at a time, but we have to bear in mind what 20-25k baht represents to many Thais - it's more than many people earn in a month. I just dont see banks stuffing millions of baht into their ATMs simply so that a few Farang and the odd hi-so Thai can withdraw 50k baht outside of banking hours - happy to hear otherwise.

No, It's specifically there to earn the fee per transaction for Foreign ATM cards. I can go to the ATM with my Thai account and withdraw 30,000 at a time up to 200,000 a day, for Free. There's plenty of money in the machines...

And I'd like one that dispensed 100K baht at a time, but we have to bear in mind what 20-25k baht represents to many Thais - it's more than many people earn in a month. I just dont see banks stuffing millions of baht into their ATMs simply so that a few Farang and the odd hi-so Thai can withdraw 50k baht outside of banking hours - happy to hear otherwise.

Are you asking about transaction limit or daily limit?

SBC allows me 200k per day but I can only withdraw 20k at a time. If I use an ATM in the city where my home bank is located transaction fee is 20baht per transaction

Of course I have to have that much in my account

Edited by dinger

Are you asking about transaction limit or daily limit?

SBC allows me 200k per day but I can only withdraw 20k at a time. If I use an ATM in the city where my home bank is located transaction fee is 20baht per transaction

Of course I have to have that much in my account

The OP is asking about transaction limit for a foreign card since he mentions the Bt150 foreign card fee and in another post mentions his Schwab card.

But regarding transaction limit, I don't think it makes a difference whether it's your Thai bank debit card or a foreign card as the ATM limit per transaction is geared to help ensure the ATM don't run out of money too soon and I guess partly to help reduce fraudulent transactions. And when I say "ATM limit" I mean the per transaction limit set by the bank that owns the ATM; I'm not talking the limit the "card-issuing" bank may apply. Like the Schwab debit card linked to a Schwab checking account usually has a $1000 (approx Bt32K per transaction/daily limit) or at least that's the limit on my Schwab debit card. And there are folks who have Schwab debit cards linked to their brokerage account where the per transaction/daily limit may be higher...much higher in fact especially if its an international Schwab account. But all this talk about the "card-issuing" bank limits is separate from what the limits set by the local ATM owner are.

Edited by Pib

Tried getting 30k out of the Krungsi ATMs at Central Festival here in Pattaya yesterday and I'll never go there again. Amateur hour - first ATM appeared to have swallowed my card - no response from the display - but the guard assured me 'two minute' and it eventually asked me for my PIN. When I supplied the PIN it spat my card out, telling me it was unable to process it. Moved to the second ATM where it appeared to accept my request for 30k baht right up to the point where it seemed to be 'counting' the bills prior to dispensing them. It then gave me a message along the lines of 'Possible equipment failure - please check your balance with your bank' - fortunately it did return my card but all the guard could manage when I showed him the error message was a nervous laugh and a meek 'Machine no good'. I went straight to the SCB branch next door and withdrew the usual 20K baht (it wouldnt accept anything over 20K baht), relieved to at least have access to a machine that worked.