Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with flying the UJ was that it includes a lot of people from the North etc. I solved this problem by getting a West Ham Utd flag till the OH pulled it down. I'll try to find a photo in a minute.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I think it is inappropriate.....
I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But, you are nationalist, when it comes to your football national team, as many others with their own countries, so why not the flag?

My neighbor here always fly the Thailands flag, the Kings and the old German one with the Swastika.....No one cared.

By the way I am not nationalist on our football team....Don't think the point of 11 retards running after a ball.

If we would be the country who could first bring people to Mars, or cure cancer or heal some disease in Africa, that would be something I could be proud of. 

But as the situation is, we are nothing better than any other country.....I like my country and the people there, but I can't say there is something we are better than Thais, Chinese, Spanish or anyone else.

Well......I would care.

This is inappropriate and not hanging the flag representing your country.

I once witnessed a very nasty incident in which the police where called to an international corporation office in which there were three flags flying; the Thai flag in the centre, then spaced about 15 meters either side two other national flags (relating to the nationality of the corporation).

When a senior member of staff died at work someone took it upon themselves to put the flags at half mast. 

A member of the Thai staff then measured the heights of the flags and discovered the Thai flag was a nat's cock lower than one of the other flags. 

Thai staff stood guard over the flags until the police arrived - A significant amount of money changed hands to avoid arrests and criminal charges. 

I'd advise flying no flags or the Thai flag only or make sure your Thai flag is visibly higher than your own country flag. 

Hmmmmmm I really dont like this brainwashing, I suggest op burns  all flags.

To hang or not to hang, thats a personal choice, but I wouldnt be hanging it quite so in other peoples faces.

So Charlie, you think people are offended by looking at the flags hanging outside world organizations?

Nobody, was offended by mine hanging outside my house at least for the past 5 years as I said in my OP.

Makes me believe that Thais have more sense than farangs, condemning my actions.

Flying your own country flag is an excellent way to call attention to your house as a choice target when burglars are casing the neighborhood. wink.png

They wont  have a  clue by me what with me 12  feet high shiny gold and stainless gates complete with gold  lions and  all.

You know Im the only 3  storey 600m2 house   for miles around.laugh.png

• Like 1

They're the same height @ NATO:

b040326a.jpg

And what relevance is this to Thailand? Did they join Nato? 

What relevance does membership of NATO have on examples of international flag etiquette, which, incidentally is observed @ ASEAN too?

To hang or not to hang, thats a personal choice, but I wouldnt be hanging it quite so in other peoples faces.

So Charlie, you think people are offended by looking at the flags hanging outside world organizations?

Nobody, was offended by mine hanging outside my house at least for the past 5 years as I said in my OP.

Makes me believe that Thais have more sense than farangs, condemning my actions.

news for ya, if they were offended they certainly wouldnt tell you. but  the fact that it is the same height of the thai flag IS offensive. but they are too polite to rtell you

• Like 1

More important, where can I find a good moussaka?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I have a US flag, but I keep it inside my condo. Putting it out for public display in this day and age is like having a "kick me" sign on the back. Almost never see US citizen with some US flag item on clothes. Most often it is Russians (haha). Seems the biggest foreign flag wavers are the Scandinavian countries. I wonder why that is?

Nobody used the word "offended" I certainly didnt. To state "world organisations" who use tall flagpoles is stupid as yours is barely 2m off the ground at its lowest point. That in my opinion from your photo is "in your face" when driving down your soi.

But thats your choice, and thats my opinion of it.

You have what appears to be a full size flag suitable for a full size flag pole, placed on a short pole on a pillar entrance which in my opinion, is disproportionate, and in your face.

I certainly didnt codemn you, merely gave an opinion.
  • Like 1

They're the same height @ NATO:

b040326a.jpg

And what relevance is this to Thailand? Did they join Nato? 

What relevance does membership of NATO have on examples of international flag etiquette, which, incidentally is observed @ ASEAN too?

Is Nato located in Thailand? Like it or not it is offending to Thais to have your flag as high or higher than the Thai Flag.

Again, I repeat, go look at the what the Thai Flag represents and you will get a clue as to why this is so. 

More importantly to the OP, where can I find a good Moussaka in Bangkok?

news for ya, if they were offended they certainly wouldnt tell you. but  the fact that it is the same height of the thai flag IS offensive. but they are too polite to rtell you

Hmmm.....they wouldn't tell me but my MIL and 20 other relatives would have heard something about it, I'm sure of that.

Nobody, was offended by mine hanging outside tmy house at least for the past 5 years as I said in my OP.

Hmmm.....they wouldn't tell me but my MIL and 20 other relatives would have heard something about it, I'm sure of that.

perhaps but that dont alter the fact its disrespectful and you should know better

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But, you are nationalist, when it comes to your football national team, as many others with their own countries, so why not the flag?

My neighbor here always fly the Thailands flag, the Kings and the old German one with the Swastika.....No one cared.

By the way I am not nationalist on our football team....Don't think the point of 11 retards running after a ball.

If we would be the country who could first bring people to Mars, or cure cancer or heal some disease in Africa, that would be something I could be proud of. 

But as the situation is, we are nothing better than any other country.....I like my country and the people there, but I can't say there is something we are better than Thais, Chinese, Spanish or anyone else.

Well......I would care.

This is inappropriate and not hanging the flag representing your country.

So you think the Thais most consider it as appropriate that you hang out your Greek flag. But you think it is inappropriate when a Thai (yes a Thai is the big Nazi fan) hangs out a flag you don't like?

Strange, or?

(I don't care your flag, nor the Nazi flag.....if someone is happy with it, he can hang out what colored fabric he want...flag or washed underwear, I don't care what hangs around)

A little disappointed here.

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

• Like 2

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

plenty of folks answered that question and you chose to pretend otherwise

• Like 1

And your original question was the very definition of a loaded question. You're implying that we've become so apathetic and/or distanced from our origins that we are disinclined to 'fly the flag' and many posters have responded that they have no inclination to 'display the national flag' - for a variety of reasons. There's a difference between debating an issue and being disappointed because you didnt get the answers you were hoping for. 

If its a malady that only occurs with extensive time in Thailand then I must be the fly in the ointment - this is my ninth week post-retirement and I havent missed Australia one iota. I miss open spaces and footpaths worthy of the name, but those things arent unique to Australia - I could find them in KL, Singapore and even parts of Bangkok if I so desired. 

• Like 1

Sometimes a flag serves more as a cultural logo than national symbol,  this struck me as I lokked at the Greek flag, I thought of food, Brazilian flag makes me think of samba, futjiball and booty etc. on the other hand warlike and opressive country logos envoke a different emotional or associative    reaction.

I am secure enough in my feelings for my country that I don't need to display it...other than when the gold medal match of men's hockey is on and I put on my red and white underwear for good luck. :)

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 2