Bangkok Police seek help to improve traffic flow at key bottlenecks

webfact

Police seek help to improve traffic flow at key bottlenecks
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Police have proceeded to tackle traffic problems at six notorious intersections, by having power poles and road islands removed to create more road surface.

The moves were designed to reduce traffic jams at Meng Jai, Bang Khen, Saphan Mai Market, Min Buri Market, Asok Montri and Sathorn-Surasak.

The deputy commissioner in charge of traffic, Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak, said police asked city officials to remove power poles intruding at Meng Jai, to open an additional lane in the morning rush hours (6am to 9am) starting later this month.

To tackle physical blockages to traffic, police also asked the authorities to cut a road-island bottleneck at Ratchaphruek Road, as well as remove power poles at U-turns in front of malls and office buildings. Police would also ask for private-sector assistance in designating better parking spots in front of malls and markets.

He said police got tougher in the past week on vendors whose stalls blocked traffic stalls at eight spots that received multiple complaints - Ramkhamhaeng Road, Soi Udomsuk (Sukhumvit 103) and Soi On Nut, Pratunam Intersection in Rajdamri, Rajthewi, Rajdamnoen, Saphan Khao and Min Buri Market.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-24

He said police got tougher in the past week on vendors whose stalls blocked traffic stalls at eight spots that received multiple complaints - Ramkhamhaeng Road, Soi Udomsuk (Sukhumvit 103) and Soi On Nut, Pratunam Intersection in Rajdamri, Rajthewi, Rajdamnoen, Saphan Khao and Min Buri Market.

This must be a euphemism for 'requested more pocket money'! whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All these poles should be removed. They're everywhere.

But it would be cheaper to do what a Thai cabinet minister suggested a few years back: "make the green lights last longer."

The problem with making green lights last longer, is that the red lights will also last longer.

First and formost, prevent the traffic police from messing with the traffic light timing, and stop them from deciding to direct traffic themselves. The worst traffic problems I have encountered is when the traffic police try to take charge.

Second, do some proper timing on traffic lights.

Third, limit (or eliminate) many right hand turns, especially on very busy roads. I have seen Thai drivers block two and even three lanes of traffic at right hand turns (where only one turn lane exists). Have the traffic police out ticketing these illegal right hand turners.

Fourth, eliminate U turns on busy roads.

And that's just for starters.

One more of course - stop all the illegal parking

• Like 1

It would be nice if they'd do something on Khamphaenphet road near Chatuchack market, I got stuck there for one hour because on a four lane road you have:

Idiots parking on No Parking Zone

----------------------------------------------------------

Selfish taxis parking on the second lane

Buses and vans stopping on the third one

People waiting to do a U-Turn

Besides that, on the same vein as removing traffic poles it would be awfully nice (and much easier) to have shops (specially bars) remove the signs they put blocking sidewalk corners, it makes it impossible to see incoming traffic at intersections, not to mention blocking pedestrians.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But it would be cheaper to do what a Thai cabinet minister suggested a few years back: "make the green lights last longer."

The problem with making green lights last longer, is that the red lights will also last longer.

First and formost, prevent the traffic police from messing with the traffic light timing, and stop them from deciding to direct traffic themselves. The worst traffic problems I have encountered is when the traffic police try to take charge.

Third, limit (or eliminate) many right hand turns, especially on very busy roads. I have seen Thai drivers block two and even three lanes of traffic at right hand turns (where only one turn lane exists). Have the traffic police out ticketing these illegal right hand turners.

One more of course - stop all the illegal parking

What really gets me is not just those that park illegally, but the imbeciles that not only do that, but park one meter from the sidewalk, effectively blocking not only the leftmost lane, but also the next one to the right.

Have the lazy police sat in their air conditioned little huts get off their lazy asses and teach them, how to direct traffic properly. If they stopped dumb asses blocking the other directions from moving when the lights changed, if they stopped idiots blocking the left turn lane, if they made people obey the rules of the road - things would improve somewhat....

Yet again another chicken and egg, cause and effect quandary and as per the norm we are looking only at the effect without leaning from the cause. Poor urban planning and building approvals are two areas where they could have tackled the resultant problems at source. There has been a myriad of computerized traffic control programs bought and paid for, however, they have neither the intellect or aptitude to use them.

Zero enforcement regarding parking which is more akin to abandonment than parking in many cases.

Government failure to provide adequate public transportation has led to a plethora of third part Mini Vans and buses who park and stop where ever they choose. It is not uncommon to see these vehicles alighting passengers in the second lane of the roadways.

They should adopt the red line clearway protocols where during rush hour periods at key bottlenecks there is absolutely no stopping for alighting or fare pick up for vans,taxis or buses. Adopt recessed bus van and taxi alighting areas . Designate areas for off road parking. If they can afford a car then they can afford a decent pair of shoes to walk from legitimate parking spots to their favorite take away stall.

Get the RTP of their ass and out of their air conditioned sanctuaries and go out an enforce the traffic laws as as sure as hell they are not going to enforce themselves.

Penalties need to prohibitive to errant behavior.

Under this new regime this country has a massive opportunity to help fix itself.

when thais seem to totally ignore the road rules/signs it doesnt help. At u turns you get 2 lanes of traffic trying to do them and usually several cars wide, turn right/left/shoulder lanes are used to go straight ahead or people use these lanes and the next couple of lanes as a turn left/right lane as well blocking all the traffic. Everyone continues through red lights so that when you finally get the turn right arrow the road is blocked by all the cars going through red lights, motorbikes simply go through any colour light as they dont seem to think they apply to them.

Maybe if the police actually did what they are paid to do it would help. if they started to pull these drivers over for breaking the law and issuing fines it may well stop or at least slow down but that will simply not happen as they refuse to leave their airconditioned comfort. Arrowed lanes need to be made strictly adhered to, they also need to use traffic flow indicators to adjust light timing for each direction, there should be both directions given straight ahead lights together and then both direction given turn arrows but this would only work if the correct arrowed laves were adhered to which simply doesnt happen. This way the straight ahead/left turn lanes would have longer to go through and the turn lanes would be restricted to their own lane and stop blocking the other lanes, this would definitely stop a lot of the bullsh*t as now all 2/3 lanes can end up trying turning right or left. The turn left at anytime corners also need to be made to adhere to the "when safe to do so" , not when ever they want and to cut off cars turning with a green light.

Lets be honest, drivers need to be made to obey the road rules in total, something that will never happen here as no one knows them or think they do not apply to them.

My solution? Ride a motorbike. Idiot motorists who can't stay in their lane often gets their side mirrors side swiped.

At a T-junction, if I'm on the main road, I don't always observe the red light IF I can filter in without causing any danger or causing the right turning vehicle to alter his turn in any way (for eg, if there is a large gap that I can move into). Benefits are plentiful - less pollution from idling in traffic, clearing one additional vehicle (mine) from the busy intersection.....

Really?

You're sharp.

Get rid of half the taxi drivers riding around and make it immediate arrest for all taxis to stop....sit and think for a minute and then say...NO. They are road blocking fools.

Taxis are a major problem with traffic flow...and traffic volume.

Just a thought

Edited by IAMSOBAD
  • Like 1

its the amount of trafic on the roads and poor trafic light control to blame, not a pole in the road?

Traffic flows reasonably well on most major intersections when the lights are on automatic.

The problems start when the police take manual control of lights around rush-hour times.

I usd to bet with my wife: "ohh, big trafic jam, must have some police ahead".

she stopped betting, I was always winning :)

I`m in Chiang Mai going to pick up daughter from school ,was waiting at the traffic lights on a large cross road

when It could see no traffic approaching from various directions maybe ! and proceeds to go over on the red light .words fail me, no ! what an imbecilic cretin. w00t.gif