ED Visa: Can I change my Tourist Visa to ED visa in Thailand?

I wish to undertake a Thai language course for a short term, say, 6 months. I am traveling to Bangkok on a tourist visa on-arrival for 14 days, and I need to know if it is possible to transfer a tourist visa into a student visa after I take admission at a local Language School.

What documents do I need? How much expense to cover?

Do I need to travel back to my country to change my visa status to student visa?

I would remain grateful to you all for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Buddy!thumbsup.gif

I assume you writing about getting a 15 day visa on arrival by applying for it on entry and paying 1000 baht.

Not a 15 day visa exempt entry at a border crossing.

It is not possible to change visas for attending a language school. Also it would not be possible with only a 15 day entry because that is the minimum amount of time needed to do the change.

Whether you would need to return to return to your home country for a visa depends upon which country you are from.

• Like 1

I assume you writing about getting a 15 day visa on arrival by applying for it on entry and paying 1000 baht.

It is not possible to change visas for attending a language school. Also it would not be possible with only a 15 day entry because that is the minimum amount of time needed to do the change.

Whether you would need to return to return to your home country for a visa depends upon which country you are from.

Thanks for the info. Yes you are correct, we generally get 14 days visa-on-arrival by paying Baht 1000 at the immigration checkpoint. I am from the Indian subcontinent.

Edited by Goldenxpat

You would have to go back home to get the visa.

I suggest you contact a school and pay a deposit for your course of study to get the paper work needed to apply for a ED visa before traveling.

• Like 2

I came on a single entry tourist visa and then went on to the ED visa without problems. But it application process took 2-3 weeks. I can't remember exactly now

"I can't remember exactly now"

Yes, but as has already been pointed out, the OP didn't really enter the country on a tourist visa and presumably if you actually obtained a Non-Imm ED visa it was issued at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand, not by a "transfer" (conversion) in Thailand, which the OP asked about. Other than that your post is quite informative.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I came on a single entry tourist visa and then went on to the ED visa without problems. But it application process took 2-3 weeks. I can't remember exactly now

"I can't remember exactly now"

Yes, but as has already been pointed out, the OP didn't really enter the country on a tourist visa and presumably if you actually obtained a Non-Imm ED visa it was issued at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand, not by a "transfer" (conversion) in Thailand, which the OP asked about. Other than that your post is quite informative.

So, you could suggest to the OP to leave the country and apply for a single entry/multi tourist visa then convert that into the ED visa. (By having to leave the country again when the school had the paper work in order.) If helping the OP is your concern.

• Like 1

If I have a non O visa can I apply for a dependent visa as soon as I arrive in Thailand or do I HAVE too wait ?

You don't need to apply for a visa because you already have the non immigrant visa that is needed to apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

What is your dependent extension going to be based upon. For example: A spouse that has an extension. Or perhaps you are married to Thai or have a Thai child.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days (45 some offices) of your 90 day entry.

If you just want help to get a visa then this is an option but if you really want to study and learn Thai then forget this option mentioned as it's basically just a way to get around the visa system!
  • Like 2

Sorry to correct but it is not OFFICIALLY possible...

I did it some time ago (not in BKK) but it depends on your language school connections I guess...

• Like 1

Sorry to correct but it is not OFFICIALLY possible...

I did it some time ago (not in BKK) but it depends on your language school connections I guess...

But not with a 15 day VOA I am sure. It can take as much as 3 weeks to even get the paperwork to apply for it and you need 15 days remaining on an entry.to do it.

It can be done on a tourist visa. I arrived on a 60 day visa from KL and have just received my ED visa from Bkk immigration. There is a tonne of papers to do but the right school will help you out of they want your business.

That's informative. Can you specifically mention what are the additional (tonnes of papers) required beyond the ones listed in Thai immigration bureau which they might ask at the last minute?

I remember I had no difficulty in Singapore when I applied for one such visa at the ICA a couple of years back. There wasn't any hassle at all!!!

But it seems apparent from the discussions above that getting a new ED visa is a hard time; new rules for ED visa might be a big hassle to come by. So, what additional documents do you suggest?

It can be done on a tourist visa. I arrived on a 60 day visa from KL and have just received my ED visa from Bkk immigration. There is a tonne of papers to do but the right school will help you out of they want your business.

That's informative. Can you specifically mention what are the additional (tonnes of papers) required beyond the ones listed in Thai immigration bureau which they might ask at the last minute?

I remember I had no difficulty in Singapore when I applied for one such visa at the ICA a couple of years back. There wasn't any hassle at all!!!

But it seems apparent from the discussions above that getting a new ED visa is a hard time; new rules for ED visa might be a big hassle to come by. So, what additional documents do you suggest?

He managed to do a change of visa status at immigration to get non immigrant visa entry. To do this will require much more paperwork than going to an embassy or consulate to get a visa.

To get an extension of stay after you have gotten the visa should not be much different than before.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...