How well do you know the Thais?

Costas2008

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How well do foreigners, in Greece, know Greeks?

Beware the one's bearing gift's,especially in the form of a giant wooden horse,mind you that sound's a little bit like their current football team,wooden .Any way rijb if you don't like Greece'pack yer bag's'

Never been there. But, I'd like to go.

Beware the one's bearing gift's,especially in the form of a giant wooden horse,mind you that sound's a little bit like their current football team,wooden .Any way rijb if you don't like Greece'pack yer bag's'

Great country mate,have been many times,good food,great people,wonderful place,was only joking of course in my post as i am trying hard to gain admittance to the 'pack your bag's ' brigade and they said i had to put up a few post's with that in,damn now i have blown it,back to the nonsensical trying hard to be witty brigade for me then i guess.

Spent many years travelling back and forth to various parts of Greece on Holiday each year. Lovely people, very friendly.

That can also be said of the Thais I encounter on a daily basis. The only time I tend to have issues is when I go to the more touristy areas and larger cities such as Bangkok.

• Like 1

Spent many years travelling back and forth to various parts of Greece on Holiday each year. Lovely people, very friendly.

That can also be said of the Thais I encounter on a daily basis. The only time I tend to have issues is when I go to the more touristy areas and larger cities such as Bangkok.

Agree Charlie,never have any problems out here in the country,people are friendly and very honest,all changes when you go to the tourist places.

A great warm hearted country and people - you don't even have to look for it.

Evil spirited people can be found too if you decide to look/post about that.

I prefer to stay where I won't be swimming in the shark tank so I have found the people gracious, generally happy, and warm spirited.......

I'm sure some farang will correct me though.......wai2.gif

• Like 1

To steal and change, just a bit, a phrase my father said to me before I left the UK: "They do not Thailand know, who only Thailand know". How true that turned out to be. How many Thais have never left Bangkok except for a trip to Chang Mai or Ayutthaya? Quite a few I should think. So what makes you think that someone that hardly ever left Pattaya can have a reasonable point of view about 'Thailand'? Apparently Isaan is full of hard eyed, wicked prostitutes that descend on the poor, naive and innocent Farang (who is just looking for a bit of fun) periodically to rip them off mercifully.

I too live in a small village and although I do see the problems and recognise the problem neighbours, I get along just fine.

• Like 1

villagefarang

I was talking with a guy the other day, who was complaining that no matter what you do, Thais will never accept you or treat you as an equal. I found that rather odd because we are often treated so well that being taken for a Thai, or being equal, would be a step down.
We have so much more social freedom than the typical Thai, as we live outside the regional and class distinctions which define and confine them, making social mobility so difficult. We have a great deal more freedom in my opinion.
When I read the horror stories on TV, I find it difficult to not ask myself what these guys did to mess up their lives so thoroughly. I find it hard to relate because Thais and Thailand have always been so kind and generous to me.
I have been afforded opportunities here that I never would have had living in my home country. I don’t know if I would like to be Thai but I love being a Farang living in Thailand.
Me too.
Edited by rijb

I also spent time in Greece, the women getting around Athens were spectacular, impeccably dressed, sexy and some quite flirtatious.

The taxi drivers were arogant rude sons of <snip>.

It's same same everywhere, good and bad. The OP is living in Hicksville and his experiences are the norm for Hicksville. Move down to downtown Sukhimvit and they'll eat him alive. Same as Greece really.

Good on ya Costas, thanks for sharing :)

• Like 2

I was talking with a guy the other day, who was complaining that no matter what you do, Thais will never accept you or treat you as an equal. I found that rather odd because we are often treated so well that being taken for a Thai, or being equal, would be a step down.
We have so much more social freedom than the typical Thai, as we live outside the regional and class distinctions which define and confine them, making social mobility so difficult. We have a great deal more freedom in my opinion.
When I read the horror stories on TV, I find it difficult to not ask myself what these guys did to mess up their lives so thoroughly. I find it hard to relate because Thais and Thailand have always been so kind and generous to me.
I have been afforded opportunities here that I never would have had living in my home country. I don’t know if I would like to be Thai but I love being a Farang living in Thailand.

True ... as long as you remain an outsider. Then if for some reason, family, business, ... you need to get "inside" then rules change and you are asked to behave according to the local customs.

Agree with you, being a foreigner in Thailand is very enjoyable. But when you are asked to "be Thai" as you say, sorry, not for me.

• Like 1

Here is my take....

I have been here for four years so basically a newbie, but since living here, I have not has one single problem, or anything bad.

My Thai partner is probably the best I have ever had, and his family treat me like one of them, his friends are lovely, and chat away to me, always interested in any story I have to say.

When we are out and about, the Thais we encounter, are the same. lovely....

When we go out eating they are so accommodating to my peculiar diet... Never had a bad meal or anything.

Honestly folks, like one of your other readers said, "I love being a Farang in Thailand", back home I would be treated like an old codger....

Anyway, hope others share the same experience as myself...

Cheers

• Like 2

As long as you remain in your place, the Thai people love the farang.

If you want to get on with Thais, just learn "aroi aroi", "sanook", and 'mai chawp pet".

Don't try to integrate and always make them feel superior.

Thai people "love farang" Do they ?, and "ALWAYS make them feel Superior" , how do I do that, bow, wai, bend over, suck or blow ? or sing a Thai song ?

Politeness and casual food sharing are a way of life in rural Thailand.

I don't believe any Tv member has claimed otherwise.

Most of the complaints I see are about sexual partners, an entirely different subject.

(And a few criminals usually found in tourist destinations)

Costas is right in everything he says, but I think the biggest gripe us TV members have is the vast majority of Thai drivers and motorbike riders, and I do not see myself refraining from ranting about them anytime soon.

Nothing is perfect in any country, but I hope this general does something about the drunken drivers, etc etc etc, and it is not just Thais.

• Like 2

Go where? Greece??????????

Agree Charlie,never have any problems out here in the country,people are friendly and very honest,all changes when you go to the tourist places.

I have to say I go to Bangkok and Pattaya regularly, and have never had a problem, but maybe that is because I'm usually in my hotel by 11pm.

IMHO - we are in their country, a country that doesn't, like some of the countries we come from, allow anyone in - we have to qualify to live here. I think one has to see that to start with, then by trying to perceive how they see us, move on to trying to understand them.

Personally (and I've lived in town and country) I love 'em and think that there is a huge amount to be learned from them, I mean about being a human being, stuff we've lost in our gaining of 'sophistication' and our individualistic approach to life and our obsession with achievement.

I have, as we speak, six of 'em staying here (in a town) working on my bungalow (building renovation) - I have had renovated, many properties over the years in the UK, almost always a nightmare experience whereas this two month job by comparison has been a dream.

It's true to say that I know the people: they traveled down to do this job from an Issan village where my partner and I had a house built; they are able to work and live together with very little conflict or 'issues' but they know they have my respect and I know I have theirs - we're very different but we know and accept a lot about each other and, like I said, we might have lost our countries but this is their country.

Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1