Wife got scoldings from immigration

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Yes, anyone where a foreigner resides is supposed to report that foreigner within 24 hours of their arrival.

That is the law, but in reality many places it is routinely ignored, especially for private homes where a foreigner moves in with a Thai as a boarder or lives there for a period.

I don't even know how to report a foreigner living as a guest in a Thai house with a Thai family.

I do know that in Bangkok at least, they just tell you not to bother reporting.

My Thai girlfriend tried in 2010 when I first moved into her house, but no one wanted to know.

They just didn't care or want to know.

Well - after reading these posts on this topic thread, I am happy I am staying with my Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' (not based on retirement or on marriage or anything else). Yesterday I too a long and tiring (but interesting) car trip to the Malaysian border. Along the way - especially on the way back, I entertained thoughts of converting to an "O-A" Extension based on Retirement so I wouldn't have to make border runs. Yes - long border runs are a pain in the butt and costly at times. But it only happens once every 90 days and NO ONE GIVES a DAMN about my details... No books or records to keep ... I just entered my address as the name of the Resort in Ao Nang - as I do not really know my street address. Same when I did a border run in Nong Khai - no one with Thai Immigration / Border Police gives a hoot - mostly just yawns. I do not have to offer any proof of anything I enter on the Departure card. My landlady has a copy of the essential pages in my passport and I assume she files the proper report - as I don't have to ... I read about a American guy here on TVF who didn't want to file an immigration class/type based on marriage - just filed filed for the O-A Retirement Extension with proof of income as a certificate from the American Embassy. I see clearly why he chose that route now -- not near as complicated filing as one based on marriage it seems. I will likely just get another Non Imm Multi 'O' when I opt for another year. Oh - I am fully aware of the difference that my Visa class/type does not really mean the same as an "extension to stay" - it just means that I can come and go - but the net effect is the same - I stay in Thailand and have to leave for 15 minutes every 90 days - with far less complicating paperwork and very few if any threats hanging over my head for not reporting my address within 24 hours of arriving back in Thailand ... When I change my residence the reporting obligation is on the landlord not me... If I decide some day to get married to a Thai lady, I will probably do the same thing mentioned above ... O-A Retirement Extension with a Certificate from the American Embassy concerning my finances... I am pleased with the good info I learn on TVF.

• Like 1

So do TV members get their wives/GF 's fill in TM30 on your arrival?. I have never done it when returning.

Was there not a spate of this in Hua Hin some years back with foreigners being pinged for not reporting to immigration.

Just as an addition to this topic, what about if you are registered on the house blue/yellow book !!!

Do you they still expect you to report ? I mean within 24hrs of returning home if you have been away working for example, not the 90 day report.

I know we have to play along but I find it all a bit too much smile.png

Yellow book is only for those who are married to a Thai national. Does seem that the OP is.

Just as an addition to this topic, what about if you are registered on the house blue/yellow book !!!

Do you they still expect you to report ? I mean within 24hrs of returning home if you have been away working for example, not the 90 day report.

Yellow book is only for those who are married to a Thai national. Does seem that the OP is.

The yellow book has nothing to do with being married or not. Any foreigner can be registered on a yellow book, with permisison of the house master and having a non-immigrant visa.

• Like 2

When I rented my shop house 4 years ago, I filled in the proper form for the land lady, got it signed by her and taken to the Immigration office. They looked at me all funny, made a face, and said NO NEED. They would not accept it from me. I told them their regulations required this document. They told me .... NO.

I guess every officer in every office through out the country has their own understanding of the rules!

biggrin.pngwai.gif

From my own experience. I am married and on a marriage extension, and have a yellow book. I am known to immigration staff. I have to report to immigration each time I fly in from overseas (multiple re-entry permit). They give me the new 90 day report date on a printed sheet and staple in the passport. It is a complete inconvenience and it drives me nuts, but no other choice but to smile sweetly and go through the pointless idiotic process!

I'm in the same situation, but didn't know that it was this bad. Actually after more than 10 years they asked to fill this report from last April for the first time as I changed my visa extension from work to marriage.

But I regularly make short business trips of 2 to 4 days, does this really mean that I have to take my wife to immigrations the morning after I return to report me back home? Sounds ridiculous.

From my own experience. I am married and on a marriage extension, and have a yellow book. I am known to immigration staff. I have to report to immigration each time I fly in from overseas (multiple re-entry permit). They give me the new 90 day report date on a printed sheet and staple in the passport. It is a complete inconvenience and it drives me nuts, but no other choice but to smile sweetly and go through the pointless idiotic process!

Yes this is true,,I had to do same,, went overseas with GF,came back,had to report next day to Immigration and the 90 day report start from that day.No probs

My experience was identical to the OP's, including the driver's license aspect. The person helping us was helpful. The boss of her really unloaded on my GF to which she replied "how am I supposed to know this?". He let her off with a scolding and no fine was mentioned. Hers might seem like a lame question but I fully agree since I renewed my extension of stay in May for the 5th consecutive year and this has never been a topic in that process, recently or in the past. My point being that since this is a requirement and if they were doing their jobs, they would not grant the extension until this requirement was met. But of course the burden is on us to know all the details. The other thing that was really BS and caused much greif was that he refused to provide the certificate of residence unless the transportation office requested it in writing. Fortunately that dept has been there before with this big shot and provided a letter of request.

Is there an online TM30 system?

(If not - why not?)

I know I can download the form from TVF.

What I would like is a URL where this can be done online.

We do not have a car and the immigration office is almost one hour's drive so an online system would be a great help.

Same for 90 day reporting?

Does it have to be Immigration?

Can the form be handed in to the nearest police box?

Do these forms have to go to your local Immigration Office?

If the answer is any office, can someone start a business online to allow subscribers to log on pay with Paypal, fill in their form and let have the form submitted for them?

Is this a business opportunity?

I was in a similar position recently when I had moved house and the address I would provide at my 90 day report would have been different to previous ones. I heard about this on TV and therefore I completed my 90 day and the tm30 saying I had moved the day before (Which I clearly had, honest). The missus photocopied her ID card and blue book and I took to immigration myself. They looked a bit perplexed by the form; i'm guessing because someone had actually handed one in. The only paperwork I was missing was a photocopy of my passport which I duly acquired in the room next door. The receipt they gave me is now stapled in my passport.

Edited by alien365

This sounds bizarre. I don't think this is to do with the 90 day report, though if you haven't done it you need to do it. In theory, if you are out of your province more than 24 hours, you are supposed to report to immigration/police (or who you are staying with is supposed to report you are there). I personally don't know anyone who does that, aside from hotels reporting their guests being present at their hotels. The 10K fine (for your wife) sounds strange but could be related to that. The usual fine for not reporting your residence is 2K (5K is possible but never heard of that being used).

You're right. No place I have ever stayed at aside from hotels and long term apartments (I assume) has ever reported my address and I have stayed at dozens and dozens of private residences in Thailand over the years, so many that I have lost count. In many cases it was simply a case of staying the night or two at a friend's place, or at a girlfriend's place or something like that. Since the arrival cards were changed some years back to exclude the old "must register place of residence within 24 hours or similar" I think the vast majority of foreigners, especially tourists have never even become aware of this communist style law being in effect in a non-communist country [Thailand].

I have also never bothered with reporting my address as I think writing down my address on the arrival card, on visa extension or re-entry permit forms etc. is more than good enough for immigration to know where I am living - particularly if on a tourist visa or visa waiver. The 90 day reports I have never had to do because either I was living in Thailand on a multiple non-B visa exiting every 90 days or the one time I was on an extension of stay I was still leaving the country numerous times during each 90 day period hence there was no need to do the reports. Of course if I needed to do the 90-day reports in future, I would. However, the address reporting requirement I find an absolute joke and I can assure you most tourists to Thailand (many of whom stay at private residences too, not just hotels) would have absolutely no idea about it (and even many Thai expats are not much more knowledgable about this bizarre law) and Thai homeowners even less so.

When I got a visa extension at Chachoengsao back in May, immigration there simply claimed I should be doing it in Bangkok since my address is registered there, but upon showing them my address on the back of my driver's license which they wanted a photocopy of, I was allowed to get the extension done in Chachoengsao that time only. Immigration didn't give a crap or have any knowledge about whether I had "registered" my address with them in Bangkok or not.

Tom i agree with you,but it doesn't matter what you think,it's what Immi.think.Like you nobody has ever reported me staying privately,but the missus will be filling in TM30,next visit to Immi.

Well - after reading these posts on this topic thread, I am happy I am staying with my Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' (not based on retirement or on marriage or anything else). Yesterday I too a long and tiring (but interesting) car trip to the Malaysian border. Along the way - especially on the way back, I entertained thoughts of converting to an "O-A" Extension based on Retirement so I wouldn't have to make border runs. Yes - long border runs are a pain in the butt and costly at times. But it only happens once every 90 days and NO ONE GIVES a DAMN about my details... No books or records to keep ... I just entered my address as the name of the Resort in Ao Nang - as I do not really know my street address. Same when I did a border run in Nong Khai - no one with Thai Immigration / Border Police gives a hoot - mostly just yawns. I do not have to offer any proof of anything I enter on the Departure card. My landlady has a copy of the essential pages in my passport and I assume she files the proper report - as I don't have to ... I read about a American guy here on TVF who didn't want to file an immigration class/type based on marriage - just filed filed for the O-A Retirement Extension with proof of income as a certificate from the American Embassy. I see clearly why he chose that route now -- not near as complicated filing as one based on marriage it seems. I will likely just get another Non Imm Multi 'O' when I opt for another year. Oh - I am fully aware of the difference that my Visa class/type does not really mean the same as an "extension to stay" - it just means that I can come and go - but the net effect is the same - I stay in Thailand and have to leave for 15 minutes every 90 days - with far less complicating paperwork and very few if any threats hanging over my head for not reporting my address within 24 hours of arriving back in Thailand ... When I change my residence the reporting obligation is on the landlord not me... If I decide some day to get married to a Thai lady, I will probably do the same thing mentioned above ... O-A Retirement Extension with a Certificate from the American Embassy concerning my finances... I am pleased with the good info I learn on TVF.

Just filling out TM30 form compared to costly,time consuming border run,up to you.

(If not - why not?)

We do not have a car and the immigration office is almost one hour's drive so an online system would be a great help.

If the answer is any office, can someone start a business online to allow subscribers to log on pay with Paypal, fill in their form and let have the form submitted for them?

Great idea.... And now for the work permit?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They tried to fine my wife each on every time she goes to the Sri Racha immigration office with me.
She was fined 800B once, and even after so many years they still ask for that paper.
It's a very small receipt and it's easy to get lost.

The strange thing is that they only fine Thai wife of farang (if she's the owner of the house), because they know the farang is paying. They will never try to fine to owner of the a rental house, because in that case a Thai would be paying.
In theory the owner of the house is the on who must pay the fine. Clearly a case of double standards.

Of course this is a stupid rule, because I already write my address on the arrival card and I report every 90 days. So, I have informed them tens of times about my address.

It's nothing more than a dirty trick to get extra income.

Did you really pay 10000B ?

First time I heard about this scam from the immigration, but it make sense, house owner is wife from farang, he will pay the fine, case closed, welcome to LOS, (land of scam)

I'm in the same situation, but didn't know that it was this bad. Actually after more than 10 years they asked to fill this report from last April for the first time as I changed my visa extension from work to marriage.

But I regularly make short business trips of 2 to 4 days, does this really mean that I have to take my wife to immigrations the morning after I return to report me back home? Sounds ridiculous.

Ridiculous indeed. Please let us know if you find a way around it!

The yellow book has nothing to do with being married or not. Any foreigner can be registered on a yellow book, with permisison of the house master and having a non-immigrant visa.

This is true Mario,but just going through the process of showing the local amphur the law,then maybe going to provincal capital if that fails.Bit of losing face going to happen,but i will be humble.

11 years now of multi entry non O. Have Thai driving licenses, yellow house book, married, kids, blah, blah. The OP's story and many others i've heard about, plus my own odd experiences dealing with immigration, jumping through never ending new hoops, are the reasons i don't do retirement, let alone the outragous marriage visas.

• Like 2

(If not - why not?)

Great idea.... And now for the work permit?

and that is the reason I said "Someone"

There must be someone out there who has a WP and could use the extra cash?

Design a totally automated system, may need some initial tea money to set it up and BINGO, job done.

Perhaps TVF could take this on?

in ubon ratchathani, i renew 3 mounths ago my driving licence and nobody asked anything about residency ? only the old card plus copy of passport with actual visa.

finished

thumbsup.gif

Well done and how lucky.

In Chiang Mai I had to wait two weeks for the residency letter from immigration and that was 6 weeks later, because of the troubles in Bangkok, they suspended the service for almost two months.

but, TiT

Everything can be different for many reasons like:-

A different person

Wearing different clothes

The particular office

The mood of the officer

An officer needs some tea money

and on and on.

Would be great if there was only one rule everywhere and enforced.

Then we would know exactly where we stand.

There would be no confusion as to what docs are required or when they should be submitted or to whom.

So, come on now, who's going to set up an online TM30 system?

I've always found dealing with immigration a hideous experience

I can only talk about Bkk, if you have your ducks lined up and all your paper work sorted out, its a breeze.

The same thing at Nakhon Sawan.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This has nothing to do with ninety-day reporting. There's yet another dusty law on the books that states a homeowner must report an alien [sic] staying in their dwelling within 24 hours of said alien's arrival at dwelling.

That I do believe is correct, the house owner must report an alien in the house.

I am an ed visa about to change in teh enxt week or two to a non O single entry visa followed by an extension of 1 year as a visitor of my krung Thai child..do I have to register my address which is my Gf´s fathers house? and where? and how?

Thanks in advance

Download the TM30 from TVF fill it in and have your g/f drop it in to immigration

• Like 1

When I got a visa extension at Chachoengsao back in May, immigration there simply claimed I should be doing it in Bangkok since my address is registered there, but upon showing them my address on the back of my driver's license which they wanted a photocopy of, I was allowed to get the extension done in Chachoengsao that time only. Immigration didn't give a crap or have any knowledge about whether I had "registered" my address with them in Bangkok or not.

=================================================================================

My drivers licenses do not have an address on the front or the back. What gives?

When reading all this stuff here I have put the purchase of a new motorbike on hold. It is time to start looking elsewhere as I do not get any joy of being hassled by the police or immigration.

• Like 1

Once I 've been to the immigration in Phuket Town to ask how to report a guest come to rent my house, I showed him my Tabian Baan yellow book on which I result the owner of the house. He answer to me that as farang I couldn't be the owner of the house and my ex-girlfriend should go there to report any guest. I told the officer she wasn't in Thailand and she couldn't take care of that and I don't want she get in trouble so I ask if could do it for her, he said to me I can't do it... I don't understand why I can't report myself if I have a 30 years lease contract and Tabian Baan!?...

My drivers licenses do not have an address on the front or the back. What gives?

My licenses are 1 year licenses. Does a 5 year license have the address on the license??????

When reading all this stuff here I have put the purchase of a new motorbike on hold.

It is time to start looking elsewhere as I do not get any joy of being hassled by the police or immigration.

Edited by Jimbolai