Wife got scoldings from immigration

Yesterday we went to immigration to get a residency letter so I could renew drivers license. After about 10 minutes of studing my passport, and checking the computor, the immigration lady started to have a very long conversation with my wife. Now in the past we had gone to Pu Sing immigration, this time we were told we had to go to Si Saket. That's another story. Anyways wife was told that she had to report to immigration within 24 hours of me coming home that she had a foreigner staying in her home or she could get a10000 baht fine. Which really means that I get a fine. I got my residency letter plus a small paper stapled into my passport saying that I had been reported staying at such & such adress. Now I know that you are suppose to be reporting but never really bother about it before. Because it never really was an issue before. You guys might want to check in to save yourself a fine

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds bizarre. I don't think this is to do with the 90 day report, though if you haven't done it you need to do it. In theory, if you are out of your province more than 24 hours, you are supposed to report to immigration/police (or who you are staying with is supposed to report you are there). I personally don't know anyone who does that, aside from hotels reporting their guests being present at their hotels. The 10K fine (for your wife) sounds strange but could be related to that. The usual fine for not reporting your residence is 2K (5K is possible but never heard of that being used).

Just as an addition to this topic, what about if you are registered on the house blue/yellow book !!!

Do you they still expect you to report ? I mean within 24hrs of returning home if you have been away working for example, not the 90 day report.

I know we have to play along but I find it all a bit too much smile.png

Edited by cornishcarlos

From my own experience. I am married and on a marriage extension, and have a yellow book. I am known to immigration staff. I have to report to immigration each time I fly in from overseas (multiple re-entry permit). They give me the new 90 day report date on a printed sheet and staple in the passport. It is a complete inconvenience and it drives me nuts, but no other choice but to smile sweetly and go through the pointless idiotic process!

My Imm. office is Nonthaburi ... for the last two years, when extending my Non-O, They have asked for that form ... I fill it in, two pages, date it the previous day and get my wife to sign plus a copy of the House book and her ID Card. They give me back the receipt stapled into my Passport.

Yes I have a Yellow Book ...........

I really wonder when all this paperwork is stored ... same with the bank.

I've always found dealing with immigration a hideous experience

I can only talk about Bkk, if you have your ducks lined up and all your paper work sorted out, its a breeze.

The angry menace that advised me which ducks to bring to the interview kept changing her poultry story at each turn leaving me on a wing and a prayer.

• Like 2

I've always found dealing with immigration a hideous experience

I can only talk about Bkk, if you have your ducks lined up and all your paper work sorted out, its a breeze.

Maybe BKK is straight but , Phuket is out for a hand off. Played by the rules the entire year, paperwork perfectly in order, annoyingly so it was apparent, now suddenly rationale for denying 1 year extension; not enough profit.

OK problem not. FIre 3 workers, thankfully have issued written warnings for crap performance, so kiss off any severance-keep 1 for next few months, now for a 90 day in Penang w a mind to GTFOLL by Oct.

I know when these topics come up, people often bring up the "well it's the same for Thais when they go to your country" but it's really not !!

Pretty sure no-one in the U.K has to report in every 90 days..

Poster above is right, we have to put up with it or leave. Such a shame as I love the place, not to mention I have too much sh*t here to move :)

• Like 2

I paid 1000 baht fine at sri racha Domo in jan when doing my 1 year extension for not reporting within 24 when arrive. This time I'm out thailand and be back 2 July and will report that's what the officer told me last time I paid the fine so it's a must to report your address

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know when these topics come up, people often bring up the "well it's the same for Thais when they go to your country" but it's really not !!

Poster above is right, we have to put up with it or leave. Such a shame as I love the place, not to mention I have too much sh*t here to move smile.png

True that Thais don't have to report their addresses to UKBA every 90 days. But compare the relative ease with which we expats can extend our stays here with all the bureaucratic nonsense which Thais have to endure merely to obtain a UK 6-month visitor's visa - in particular the completion of a 10-page application form in which they are required to provide such totally irrelevant information as the full names and dates and places of birth of each of their parents and their offspring!

• Like 2

Poster above is right, we have to put up with it or leave. Such a shame as I love the place, not to mention I have too much sh*t here to move smile.png

True that Thais don't have to report their addresses to UKBA every 90 days. But compare the relative ease with which we expats can extend our stays here with all the bureaucratic nonsense which Thais have to endure merely to obtain a UK 6-month visitor's visa - in particular the completion of a 10-page application form in which they are required to provide such totally irrelevant information as the full names and dates and places of birth of each of their parents and their offspring!

Not sure about the UK but I have heard of reporting requirements for Thais in such countries as the Netherlands and that reporting may need to be done fairly regularly, but is often done on a case by case basis. Other members with more info will likely be able to shed more light on this as I am simply going by reports I have read/heard about.

This sounds bizarre. I don't think this is to do with the 90 day report, though if you haven't done it you need to do it. In theory, if you are out of your province more than 24 hours, you are supposed to report to immigration/police (or who you are staying with is supposed to report you are there). I personally don't know anyone who does that, aside from hotels reporting their guests being present at their hotels. The 10K fine (for your wife) sounds strange but could be related to that. The usual fine for not reporting your residence is 2K (5K is possible but never heard of that being used).

You're right. No place I have ever stayed at aside from hotels and long term apartments (I assume) has ever reported my address and I have stayed at dozens and dozens of private residences in Thailand over the years, so many that I have lost count. In many cases it was simply a case of staying the night or two at a friend's place, or at a girlfriend's place or something like that. Since the arrival cards were changed some years back to exclude the old "must register place of residence within 24 hours or similar" I think the vast majority of foreigners, especially tourists have never even become aware of this communist style law being in effect in a non-communist country [Thailand].

I have also never bothered with reporting my address as I think writing down my address on the arrival card, on visa extension or re-entry permit forms etc. is more than good enough for immigration to know where I am living - particularly if on a tourist visa or visa waiver. The 90 day reports I have never had to do because either I was living in Thailand on a multiple non-B visa exiting every 90 days or the one time I was on an extension of stay I was still leaving the country numerous times during each 90 day period hence there was no need to do the reports. Of course if I needed to do the 90-day reports in future, I would. However, the address reporting requirement I find an absolute joke and I can assure you most tourists to Thailand (many of whom stay at private residences too, not just hotels) would have absolutely no idea about it (and even many Thai expats are not much more knowledgable about this bizarre law) and Thai homeowners even less so.

When I got a visa extension at Chachoengsao back in May, immigration there simply claimed I should be doing it in Bangkok since my address is registered there, but upon showing them my address on the back of my driver's license which they wanted a photocopy of, I was allowed to get the extension done in Chachoengsao that time only. Immigration didn't give a crap or have any knowledge about whether I had "registered" my address with them in Bangkok or not.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

They tried to fine my wife each on every time she goes to the Sri Racha immigration office with me.

She was fined 800B once, and even after so many years they still ask for that paper.

It's a very small receipt and it's easy to get lost.

The strange thing is that they only fine Thai wife of farang (if she's the owner of the house), because they know the farang is paying. They will never try to fine to owner of the a rental house, because in that case a Thai would be paying.

In theory the owner of the house is the on who must pay the fine. Clearly a case of double standards.

Of course this is a stupid rule, because I already write my address on the arrival card and I report every 90 days. So, I have informed them tens of times about my address.

It's nothing more than a dirty trick to get extra income.

Did you really pay 10000B ?

I assume that you are referring to the receipt of notification slip for the TM30 form completed by your wife. Makes me wonder what they have done with the completed form itself if they keep asking her for the slip! Most likely it was shredded ages ago and then stuffed into a seat cushion for the comfort of some IO's bum, I strongly suspect.laugh.png

Edited by OJAS

This sounds bizarre.

I find an absolute joke and I can assure you most tourists to Thailand (many of whom stay at private residences too, not just hotels) would have absolutely no idea about it (and even many Thai expats are not much more knowledgable about this bizarre law) and Thai homeowners even less so.

I had after many years also a visit of a Government official and my GF had to pay a fine, 200 Baht? for not reporting me at the authorities as living in her house.

Had to drive to the Amphoe village and she, me? had to sign something!

Will not be an issue after only 1 or some days, but when you long time stay somewhere it can get or

be a small problem! wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I'm not a Thai apologist but....

My EU country (one of the original nine) has a law that says homeowners must report anyone (not just a foreigner) living in your house to the the police within (I recall) 7 days.

It is a shameful leftover of the terrorism years, Nobody has ever cared removing it.

And it is enforced at the time you have an argument with someone living in your house, or he/she cause a disturbance. The police will report for that first, then possibly look at all the rest.

This has nothing to do with ninety-day reporting. There's yet another dusty law on the books that states a homeowner must report an alien [sic] staying in their dwelling within 24 hours of said alien's arrival at dwelling.

Thank you for clarifying.

It's a shame there continued to be repeated references to the separate issue of 90 day reporting, which is not the topic, in this thread, subsequent to your post.