Book about living in Isan, written by a female Farang

Finlaco

I've posted a few times on TV and although several members have a similar recall about what i write below, as to date, I've yet to rediscover the title of the book - here's hoping this time

Hi

Does anyone recall the name of a book written by a British female who married a local isan guy and settled on isan for 5 years or so? I think I remember the title including a reference to Mekong, moon and whisky.

Thanks

Never heard of it, but a good one by a Canadian woman living fairly near Issan is:

Touch the Dragon: A Thai Journal by Karen Connelly

It one some sort of prestigious Canadian book award.

An excellent book. I've read it a number of times.

Never heard of it, but a good one by a Canadian woman living fairly near Issan is:

An excellent book, UG, but as I've told you before, Karen Connolly was living in Denchai, which is on the way from Chiangmai to Bangkok via Phitsanulok, and NOWHERE NEAR Isan. Different people, different customs.

An excellent book, UG, but as I've told you before, Karen Connolly was living in Denchai, which is on the way from Chiangmai to Bangkok via Phitsanulok, and NOWHERE NEAR Isan. Different people, different customs.

I did not say that she lived in Issan. I said that she lived "fairly close," which is a subjective judgment and my opinion of what "fairly close" is obviously different from yours. Stop being pedantic.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Well I, as well as Ulysses, probably regret trying to help now. I might accuse the Op of being pedantic with his explanations of what fairly close means to him. But I won't.

Actually, it was not the OP that UG accused of being pedantic. Don't stop your help smile.png

(And as an aside, it wasn't pedantic because there's a definite Isaan leaning in the OP, and as Isaan Birder pointed out, the other book mentioned features people of a different culture. The subjectivity of distance to Isaan is irrelevant.)

I think the OP may be mixing messages - Moonshine in the Morning was written by Andrea McNicoll, a Brit that was married to a Thai for five years. It's fictional, award winning, and an excellent read.

big thanks - yeah this is the book i was referring to - i recall listening to a Guardian podcast several years ago -

• Like 1

I think the OP may be mixing messages - Moonshine in the Morning was written by Andrea McNicoll, a Brit that was married to a Thai for five years. It's fictional, award winning, and an excellent read.

Cheers. Just ordered a copy biggrin.png

• Like 1

Cheers. Just ordered a copy biggrin.png

Good man - it's a delightful read.