Cricket International Series & General Chat

Brendon McCullum has copped a bit for his captaincy, and specifically his field placings this test and the previous one.

I'm not so sure he deserves it. The commentators kept ranting about how he needed more slips and more of this and that. yet the ball never went to any of the positions they were talking about at a catchable height. In other words, his field placings didn't seem to result in any missed opportunities.

His bowlers couldn't maintain the pressure, and they have come up against David Warner in awesome form. Throw in a bit of bad luck with using up their Reviews and missing a couple of chances. if they had a review remaining it could have been different.

McCullum doesn't have a chace the way his bowlers are going. You just can't set fields for bad bowling.

Even if you take Warner out of the equation, NZ's bowlers are making Burns and Khawaja look like Bradman.

Their spinner Craig makes Lyon look like Muttiah Muralitharan.

Their ground fielding was great but 2 dropped chances and an incorrect caught not given behind didn't help.

BTW, I hope the ICC change the farcial DRS rule.

As far as I'm concerned, regardless of the umpires decision, if it's reviewed and the ball is hitting the

stumps (like Warners), it should be given out. The umps decision should be irrelevant.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brendon McCullum has copped a bit for his captaincy, and specifically his field placings this test and the previous one.

I'm not so sure he deserves it. The commentators kept ranting about how he needed more slips and more of this and that. yet the ball never went to any of the positions they were talking about at a catchable height. In other words, his field placings didn't seem to result in any missed opportunities.

His bowlers couldn't maintain the pressure, and they have come up against David Warner in awesome form. Throw in a bit of bad luck with using up their Reviews and missing a couple of chances. if they had a review remaining it could have been different.

McCullum doesn't have a chace the way his bowlers are going. You just can't set fields for bad bowling.

Even if you take Warner out of the equation, NZ's bowlers are making Burns and Khawaja look like Bradman.

Their ground fielding was great but 2 dropped chances and an incorrect caught not given behind didn't help.

As far as I'm concerned, regardless of the umpires decision, if it's reviewed and the ball is hitting the

stumps (like Warners), it should be given out. The umps decision should be irrelevant.

Not sure if should be given out,but you should not lose your chance.

In the case of Warner, I'd prefer it to be given not out. tongue.png

I don't mind the DRS review system. It adds a tactical element to the game and give the Captain's some room for appeal

Mate

Tell me why this shouldn't be given out?

It's smashing into the stumps.

You can't have it both ways, if it's not over-tuned, you have to lose your chance methinks.

post-69328-0-79510100-1447462824_thumb.j

In the case of Warner, I'd prefer it to be given not out. tongue.png

I don't mind the DRS review system. It adds a tactical element to the game and give the Captain's some room for appeal

That's the trouble with DRS as it stands, it is being used as a tactic when it's objective should be to eliminate

the howlers, not fitty fitty decisions.

I reckon it should be given to the umps.

That's the trouble with DRS as it stands, it is being used as a tactic when it's objective should be to eliminate

There are a few problems with taking it away. All decisions have to be reviewed. Okay, fair enough. But then you also have to review all appeals? So it could be 100 appeals for LBW in a day on the subcontinent.

Also, if an umpire has given it out or not, will they review their own decisions? Who decides?

I like that captains can have the right of some reviews. It takes out the element of bias from a game. Neutral umpires have taken a lot of that element out of the game, but not all umpires are of the highest standard.

Thankfully reviews of front foot No balls are automatic and fairly much run outs are too. Dodgy catches can also be reviewed.

That leaves the LBW decisions. To give full referral to DRS there would need to be automatic appeal of any ball striking the pads.

That of course is not so difficult, as it can happen on TV now.

Do we want the game to proceed that way?

There are a few problems with taking it away. All decisions have to be reviewed. Okay, fair enough. But then you also have to review all appeals? So it could be 100 appeals for LBW in a day on the subcontinent.

Also, if an umpire has given it out or not, will they review their own decisions? Who decides?

I like that captains can have the right of some reviews. It takes out the element of bias from a game. Neutral umpires have taken a lot of that element out of the game, but not all umpires are of the highest standard.

Thankfully reviews of front foot No balls are automatic and fairly much run outs are too. Dodgy catches can also be reviewed.

That leaves the LBW decisions. To give full referral to DRS there would need to be automatic appeal of any ball striking the pads.

That of course is not so difficult, as it can happen on TV now.

Do we want the game to proceed that way?

DRS should be for the howlers, not close decisions.

Take the Warner appeal as an example. Without DRS, you could make a case

either way for it. If given out, some might say he was a bit stiff as was a bit high.

If given not out, you could say the bowlers was a bit stiff. Either way, it's a close

decision so the umpire wouldn't/shouldn't get crucified for that.

Now take McCullums caught behind last test. It's given out but the 3rd umpire on

first viewing see's some doubt. He presses and orange light and radio's the ump

to hold on.

The 3rd umpire then over-turns the decision.

The howler is the corrected. Players usually don't get too upset over a close call as they

realise over time they tend to even out.

So in my version, not every caught behind or LBW is reffered.

Let the umpires umpire and eliminate the howlers.

Mate

Tell me why this shouldn't be given out?

It's smashing into the stumps.

You can't have it both ways, if it's not over-tuned, you have to lose your chance methinks.

I think they allow for some error of the drs and thats why over half the ball must be hitting,but in saying that in tennis it has the final say on line calls.

'I think they allow for some error of the drs and thats why over half the ball must be hitting,but in saying that in tennis it has the final say on line calls."

Yes, but if it was given out by the ump and reviewed, it's not over-turned.

So really, it's depedant on the original decision.

If you're going to use it, you have to trust it I think.

DRS should be for the howlers, not close decisions.

But who decides what the howler is?

It has to be reviewed before it can be judged a howler

It can only be reviewed by the 3rd umpire.

Like I said, not to be used for close calls.

Nothing to stop an ump asking for clarification but just get rid of the shockers.

Nothing to stop an ump asking for clarification but just get rid of the shockers.

I'd like to see a better system, Khun Will, but I can't see agreement on who decides what a howler is or isn't. If it is left to the 3rd umpire, there still has to be criteria for a review. Really, any decision has the potential to turn into a howler once viewed on replay in slow motion.

SPeaking of kooky DRS uses. Smith asking for a teh DRS on a caught behind? Neitehr the bowler nor the wicket keeper thought it was out, but Smith went for the review??

I am sure teams have in place a consultation system before they review!?

Oh, Stevie, be a thoughtful King and take advice from your court

I'd like to see a better system, Khun Will, but I can't see agreement on who decides what a howler is or isn't. If it is left to the 3rd umpire, there still has to be criteria for a review. Really, any decision has the potential to turn into a howler once viewed on replay in slow motion.

SPeaking of kooky DRS uses. Smith asking for a teh DRS on a caught behind? Neitehr the bowler nor the wicket keeper thought it was out, but Smith went for the review??

I am sure teams have in place a consultation system before they review!?

Oh, Stevie, be a thoughtful King and take advice from your court

I can see where you're coming from BookMan.

Basically would be up to the 3rd umpires discretion.

What about reducing the challenges from 2 to 1?

Captains would then have to be more selective knowing it's all they've got.

I can see where you're coming from BookMan.

Basically would be up to the 3rd umpires discretion.

What about reducing the challenges from 2 to 1?

Captains would then have to be more selective knowing it's all they've got.

I'd increase the number of reviews to 4 per team.

Pre DRS and even Pre neutral umpires, there was always controversy over decisions.

Now with DRS...Hotspot/Snicko, use whatever name u want.. the tools to do the job are there.

Hardly a need for this angst we seem to get every game about decisions, when the technology is clearly there to help

One of the hinderances has been India and their lack of support in the past and then also the bewildering 3rd umpire decisions based on available video. Who could forget the Ashes series in England a couple of years back and the kooky decisions made against all logic. Anyway, Cricket's rule boffins seems to have got their house half in order and now have a universal system for reviewing and technology used... in the last 2 Australian series anyway. So there is more confidence in teh system.

LBWs are a cause for concern. Umpires call stands but it could be out or not out depending on the call. I'm okay to keep that for now. Up the challenges to 4 per team.

It isn't like it is a time waster, Look how slow teams can go when they want.

It was interesting when Mitch Marsh was out.

The bowler had orange on the back of his boots(which was easy to see) except the last inch of the heel was white.

To me it looked like a no ball but with white on white it was to hard to tell.

I thought it was a no ball as well.

It was a close call though.

Johnson finally just got a wicket.

6/485.

Had to turn over and watch the golf in the middle session.

Stumps

6/510

Ross Taylor not out 233!

He will be pushing past Warner soon.

What a rubbish wicket for bowling.

• First WACA test where both sides have scored over 500
  • Warner. Second highest test score on the WACA
  • Taylor. Highest score against an Australian team
  • Williamson. Top 5 highest score against an Australian team
  • End of day 3. 15 wickets have fallen. And let's face it. 4 of those Aussie one were slash n bash.

Johnson finally just got a wicket.

6/485.

Had to turn over and watch the golf in the middle session.

Stumps

6/510

Ross Taylor not out 233!

He will be pushing past Warner soon.

What a rubbish wicket for bowling.

• First WACA test where both sides have scored over 500
  • Warner. Second highest test score on the WACA
  • Taylor. Highest score against an Australian team
  • Williamson. Top 5 highest score against an Australian team
  • End of day 3. 15 wickets have fallen. And let's face it. 4 of those Aussie one were slash n bash.

The pitch will deteriorate so may see some action over last 2 days.

The cricket balls have been a problem,never seen anything like it.

Second Test: Dirk Nannes rips into Australia's 'horrendous sportsmanship' after Ross Taylor's record knock

Former Australian player and ABC Grandstand commentator Dirk Nannes ripped into his countrymen for "horrendous sportsmanship" after they failed to acknowledge Ross Taylor's mammoth 290.

Taylor fell on the fourth morning of the second test match between the Black Caps and Australia in Perth after notching the highest-ever score by a New Zealand batsman overseas.
After the players had rushed off to prepare for Australia's second dig, Nannes let rip in his commentary for the ABC at what he labelled "horrendous sportsmanship" by the locals.

"After the innings - he's made 290 - not one person from the Australian camp went and shook his hand," Nannes said.

"In the spirit of the way this game has been played ... I can't help but be disappointed that no one actually went out to him and shook his hand. It's not that hard is it?

Taylor has batted away any suggestion of poor sportsmanship by the Australians, saying he didn't feel slighted."You don't have a guy bat for a day and half out and there and just not even acknowledge it. That's horrendous sportsmanship."

Ex-Black Cap Mark Greatbatch also weighed in on the incident, saying that such behaviour was typical of the Baggy Greens.

"That is a disgrace and that sums up the Australians," the former New Zealand opener and coach said.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/second-test-dirk-nannes-rips-into-australias-horrendous-sportsmanship-after-ross-taylors-record-knock-20151116-gl0dgn.html#ixzz3rhScXG7n

Second Test: Dirk Nannes rips into Australia's 'horrendous sportsmanship' after Ross Taylor's record knock

Former Australian player and ABC Grandstand commentator Dirk Nannes ripped into his countrymen for "horrendous sportsmanship" after they failed to acknowledge Ross Taylor's mammoth 290.

Taylor fell on the fourth morning of the second test match between the Black Caps and Australia in Perth after notching the highest-ever score by a New Zealand batsman overseas.

After the players had rushed off to prepare for Australia's second dig, Nannes let rip in his commentary for the ABC at what he labelled "horrendous sportsmanship" by the locals.

"After the innings - he's made 290 - not one person from the Australian camp went and shook his hand," Nannes said.

"In the spirit of the way this game has been played ... I can't help but be disappointed that no one actually went out to him and shook his hand. It's not that hard is it?

Taylor has batted away any suggestion of poor sportsmanship by the Australians, saying he didn't feel slighted."You don't have a guy bat for a day and half out and there and just not even acknowledge it. That's horrendous sportsmanship."

Ex-Black Cap Mark Greatbatch also weighed in on the incident, saying that such behaviour was typical of the Baggy Greens.

"That is a disgrace and that sums up the Australians," the former New Zealand opener and coach said.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/second-test-dirk-nannes-rips-into-australias-horrendous-sportsmanship-after-ross-taylors-record-knock-20151116-gl0dgn.html#ixzz3rhScXG7n

Nothing to see here.

The players went to congratulate the fielder and bowler while Taylor got his skates on in the other direction.

From what I saw, they all clapped him off.

Hardly a sledge or word in anger for the whole series. A boring game so someone wants his name up in lights.

Dirk who?

Hardly a sledge or word in anger for the whole series. A boring game so someone wants his name up in lights.

Dirk who?

My thoughts also. I had never heard of him

Dirk Peter Nannes (born 16 May 1976) is a professional cricketer who has played internationally for both Australia and the Netherlands, one of the few players to represent multiple international teams. From Melbourne, Nannes was a freestyle skier before beginning his cricket career, and competed inmogul events at two FIS Freestyle Skiing World Cups. Beginning in Victorian Premier Cricket, he made his first-class debut for Victoria during the 2005–06 season, aged 29. A left-arm fast bowler, Nannes had moderate success in the domestic first-class and one-day tournaments, leading to a stint with English county side Middlesex during the 2008 season. His greatest success, however, came inTwenty20 matches. Holding Dutch citizenship through his parents, he played two Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) for the Netherlands at the 2009 ICC World Twenty20 tournament, and later that year made his One Day International (ODI) and T20I debuts for Australia.

Altogether, Nannes took 28 wickets from 17 matches in T20I matches, with his last match coming in October 2010, for Australia against Sri Lanka. Although his last matches for Victoria came during the 2010–11 season, he has remained a regular player at Twenty20 level, in both Australian and overseas tournaments. As one of the first freelance cricketers,[1] Nannes has played for fifteen different teams or franchises across nine different countries, including the Melbourne Renegades andSydney Thunder in Big Bash League matches, and the Delhi Daredevils, Royal Challengers Bangalore, and Chennai Super Kings in Indian Premier League (IPL) matches. As of August 2014, he had taken almost 250 wickets from 200 Twenty20 matches, ranking only behind Lasith Malinga andAlfonso Thomas in terms of wickets taken in that format.

Edited by BookMan