Don't drop your credit card.

So my wife is shopping in Ngam Wong Wan Mall, in Boots actually. So I give her my credit card to hand to the girl at the till. Next thing the till girl has given the payment slip back to my wife to sign. Guess I shouldn't have, but I stepped in and signed it myself.

I said to the guy who was near the till, probably the boss ... didn't you think it strange that the card said Mr and she doesn't really look like a Mr, does she. Blank look ................sorry and walks off.

But to be honest, I don't ever think that I have seen anyone even look at the name on the card when processing ............maybe if I ever change the card I'll sign it ... Check Driving License Picture or something similar.

In Thailand comparing the name on the card or comparing the receipt signature to the card signature is a very rare event. The wife and I use our credit cards all the time/almost daily in Thailand over last half dozen years and only once did a clerk appear to compare my receipt signature against the card signature and there have been two times the clerk appeared to compare the wife's signature. Yes Sir, a rare event when a checkout clerk does any kind of card verification...all they care about is did the Point of Sale transaction machine approve the transaction. So, if a person loses their credit/debit card in Thailand and a bad guy finds it and mostly likely decides to use it, no one should assume a checkout clerk is going to challenge the person/compare names/signature---would indeed be a rare event.

I can't remember the last time anyone checked the signature on my credit cards in the US either. In fact, most of the time when I use the card in the US it is at self-checkout counters in supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores. Just swipe the card, "sign" the machine if above a certain amount, and walk away. No pin needed. The only proof they require is sometimes I'm required to input my zip code.

My wife has used my card many times in the US ... but I trust her.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time anyone checked the signature on my credit cards in the US either. In fact, most of the time when I use the card in the US it is at self-checkout counters in supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores. Just swipe the card, "sign" the machine if above a certain amount, and walk away. No pin needed. The only proof they require is sometimes I'm required to input my zip code.

Then why doesn't she have a card of her own ...are you sure that you trust her. I only got the card for booking flights etc on the internet ...never meant to carry it around ...I'll stick it back in our safe and use cash ... much safer.

The oddest thing that happened to me is when I was using a new credit card that I hadn't signed the back of yet.

They processed the transaction, I'd signed the slip and when they went to compare the signature to the back of the card and saw it was blank.

They said they coudn't accept an unsigned card so I signed the back of the card, handed it back to them and after they compared the signature I'd just written on the card to the signature I'd just written on the charge slip and were satisfied that they were they same, they gave me my card, receipt and purchase and thanked me for my patronage.

• Like 2

I am getting a different experience as I have a higher rate of retailers checking my signature than in the US. Very rare for a cashier to check in the US as well as multiple times asked to sign my new card on the spot before making even large purchases that are in the thousands of US dollar.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by tangcoral

Then why doesn't she have a card of her own ...are you sure that you trust her. I only got the card for booking flights etc on the internet ...never meant to carry it around ...I'll stick it back in our safe and use cash ... much safer.

If your card is issued by a US Bank then its actually "safer" to use the card rather than cash due to our consumer protection laws.

If your cash is lost or stolen, then you are out that amount; however, you are seldom responsible for unauthorized charges on a lost or stolen credit card.

Cheers

• Like 2

In this country, where most till girls can't really read English, it wouldn't make who's name

on the card, it could be any name and any signature really as long as it have gone through

and the slip comes out, so you can give your card to any one to use with impunity....

They don't even look at the cards being provided by their Thai customers. Here in Bangkok lots of Thais use their credit/debit cards to pay at checkouts...I'm standing behind these fine folks in checkout lanes and see it all the time...the checkout clerks don't even check those cards...stick the card in the POS machine, receipt for signature prints out, clerks hands it the customer for signature many times with card being returned at the same time, customer signs receipts, clerk takes receipt...clerk is happy. Zero verification of name on card (and a debit card probably had no name on it) and zero signature comparison. Clerk is happy. And if the customer using the card was a bad guy using a loss/stolen card, the bad guy is happy. Yes sir, treat your debit/credit cards as cash because the bad guy will be able to...the crook can have some BIG shopping sprees, fill-up his car and all this friends cars, etc, etc....the only thing the bad can't do is use the card in an ATM unless maybe you are really stupid and wrote the PIN on the card which apparently some common sense challenged people do.

Take some time in parts of the world.......

http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/publications-emv-faq

Europe

MasterCard's liability shift took place on 1 January 2005.

Visa's liability shift for points of sale took place on 1 January 2006. For ATMs, the liability shift took place on 1 January 2008

Asia pacific

For ATMs, the liability shift date is 1 October 2015, except in China, India, Japan, and Thailand, where the liability shift will be 1 October 2017. Domestic ATM transactions in China are not currently not subject to a liability shift deadline.

USA

Visa,MasterCardand Discover March 2012 - and American Expressin June 2012 - have announced their EMV migration plans for the US. In spite of these announcements, doubts remain over the willingness of merchants to develop the capability to support EMV. Since the announcement, multiple banks and card issuers have announced cards with EMV chip-and-signature technology, including American Express, Bank of America, Citibank, JP Morgan Chase, U.S. Bank, and several credit unions. JPMorgan was the first major bank to introduce a card with EMV technology, namely its Palladium card, in mid-2012

American Express is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals in October, 2015.For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is October, 2017.Discover is implementing a liability shift on 1 October 2015. For pay at the pump at gas stations, the liability shift is 1 October 2017. Maestro implemented a liability shift of 19 April 2013, for international cards used in the United States.MasterCard is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals in October, 2015.For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is October, 2017. For ATMs, the liability shift date is in October 2016.Visa is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals on 1 October 2015. For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is 1 October 2017.For ATMs, the liability shift date is 1 October 2017.

I can't be bothered with proper signatures any more. Whether I'm paying on a credit card, checking in to a hotel...whatever...I scrawl some random squiggles, usually a little circle or two with a long line to the right. It varies. Doesn't matter, nobody cares, nobody looks. I think I've even scrawled <deleted> you on occasion. Makes no difference. Best thing is to set your credit card limits to zero until you want to use it, then set it back. I have some bank accounts that allow me to do that online.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thais wants only the money

Not imported who is the owner of the card

You can also sign with Donald duck , and got a smile and a thanks sir or misses or whatever back

But when signature did not match

You can complain payment in your home country!

When you have a good bank, maybe your wife can shop for free!

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Like I said, it doesn't matter. As long as the merchant gets an authorization, nobody gets hurt. The banks are willing to waive fraudulent charges as long as you report the card missing at some point.

Last week I used a USA Visa card for an online purchase from a Thai merchant. It was rejected. Shortly after, I got a call from the bank's fraud department asking if it was me trying to make the transaction. I confirmed, and they apologized for the rejection, saying the charge didn't fit my normal pattern of use and triggered an alarm. They said they would adjust my account, and that it wouldn't happen again. They also made a point of telling me that if it was a fraudulent charge, I would not be responsible for it. The banks are raking in so much money, they can absorb fraudulent charges without troubling their customers.

Felt 35,

Do EVM transactions require a PIN? That would sure help but I recall US merchants did not want the new technology due to equipment upgrade costs and additional time spent per customer at the register.

Cheers

Transactions require an authentic card validated either online using a dynamic cryptogram or offline using Static Data Authentication (SDA) or Dynamic Data Authentication (DDA). The CVM ensures that the person attempting to make the transaction is the person to whom the card belongs using Online PIN, Offline PIN, Signature, or no CVM EMV transactions are authorized based on security parameters established by the issuer.

Because that not all countries have fully implemented EMV its variable. If I use my Visa/MasterCard online or offline back home a pin or personal verification code is required. My experience in Thailand is that some merchants, include big shopping malls have a way to exclude and sidestep the authentication of the card, when some others demand the Pin! Most businesses here its anyway not set up for any secure authentication because even if the pin is demanded the payment terminal is not set up correctly for the customer to use a pin in a secure way to avoid that next customer in the queue can see your pin.

Went into the bank to draw money from my card.

Had to sign a photo copy of my passport and card.

The staff had a conflab because my signature was bigger on the

Photo copy than on my original passport and card.

Had to sign it again only smaller just to keep them happy.

Have a Nice Day.

When we arrive back in the US on vacation, I'll typically hand our daughter my credit card (Mr.), which I allow her to use until we return to Thailand. She's never had a problem using it......nor have any businesses had a problem with her using it.

When HSBC still had branches in Thailand I had to do some transaction there on my account. I signed the document and the clerk took it away. A minute later she came back and said the signature did not match the signature card I had filed when I opened the account. Tried again; same result. I explained that my signature varies a lot and asked to see the signature card which she brought to me without delay. Then I was able to sign like the card appropriately and they accepted the document. A culture of unthinking followers of procedures.

• Like 1