Yingluck's wealth rose by Bt33m while in office, anti-graft body says

Lite Beer

Yingluck's wealth rose by Bt33m while in office, anti-graft body says
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra's wealth increased by some Bt33 million while she was in office, according to the anti-graft agency.

Yingluck was richer by the time she was forced to step down, but other ministers in her Cabinet got poorer, the body said.

As of May 7 when she was disqualified from office following a ruling by the Constitutional Court, Yingluck had assets worth Bt601 million and Bt28 million in debt. Her son Supasek Amornchat had assets worth Bt 1.3 million. Yingluck's assets excluded those of her unmarried spouse Anusorn Amornchat, who declared assets worth Bt36 million.

Yingluck's wealth is mostly from stocks she holds in many firms, including SC Asset Corporation, which rose in value during her tenure.

She also has some cash in a bank account but did not declare a luxury watch, something that former opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva mentioned previously during a parliamentary session.

Thawatchai Sirithanaphan, chief of asset examination at the National Anti-Corruption Commission, said Yingluck informed the NACC that the watch in question had been sold before she took office but she did not specify the brand or type of the timepiece.

Former deputy PM and foreign minister Surapong Tovichak-chaikul had assets worth Bt40.5 million and a debt of Bt3.06 million. His assets declined by a total of Bt11.3 million when he was in office - due to loss of investment and devaluation of his vehicles.

Another former deputy PM, also finance minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong, has assets worth Bt58.9 million and debt of Bt1.3 million. His total assets declined by Bt2.81 million compared to when he took office in January 2012.

Former deputy PM Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is still the richest among ex-Cabinet members, has assets worth Bt970 million and a debt of Bt2.7 million. His assets increased by Bt4 million compared to when he took office in November 2012.

Former labour minister Chalerm Yoobamrung has assets worth Bt171.1 million without any debt. The value of his assets declined by Bt130,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yinglucks-wealth-rose-by-Bt33m-while-in-office-ant-30237298.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-28

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I see another bias article aimed at yingluck to smear her and her family!

Oh yes the yellows once again will go into overdrive with these headlines.

For a more balanced article please refer to the BP as it gives full disclosure of her and husbands assets during her time as the democratically elected prime minister.

On a side note also please refer to the article in the BP on what the media is trying to establish on what they can report on and what they can't.

Shouldn't worry the nation as it's just a stooge yellow paper with feel good headlines trying to persuade the world that everything is all good.

Pity that the world sees right through these empty articles as nothing but propaganda!

Oh and I see the good general has told sutep to shut up about how he and the general colluded since 2010 to bring this about!

Not my words just check out the BP.

Is it necessary to declare assets in other countries ... just asking

Yingluck's wealth is mostly from stocks she holds in many firms, including SC Asset Corporation, which rose in value during her tenure.

So if this is the main reason for her gain in wealth, then why is there a slant in the article which implies that her rise in wealth is from corruption? This article does nothing except fuel the propaganda for the PDRC, I think what everyone really wants to see is hard facts proving her misconduct beyond a reasonable doubt.

Well said and also very obvious..

The absence of hard facts is clear to all...........

• Like 2

"those of her unmarried spouse Anusorn Amornchat"

Excuse my ignorance but what does the above mean? Is she divorced?

Never mind...just googled it. It means common law marriage.

Edited by Thailion

For a more balanced article please refer to the BP as it gives full disclosure of her and husbands assets during her time as the democratically elected prime minister.

On a side note also please refer to the article in the BP on what the media is trying to establish on what they can report on and what they can't.

Shouldn't worry the nation as it's just a stooge yellow paper with feel good headlines trying to persuade the world that everything is all good.

Pity that the world sees right through these empty articles as nothing but propaganda!

Oh and I see the good general has told sutep to shut up about how he and the general colluded since 2010 to bring this about!

Is it necessary to declare assets in other countries ... just asking

Such as Amply-Rich people in the B.V.I. ? whistling.gif

Personally I don't think that she personally benefited directly, while in-office, but I suspect that her wider family aren't complaining too much, especially her brother with the $1-billion unfreezing-of-funds while she was in-charge.

Wonder who bought the watch ?

Former labour minister Chalerm Yoobamrung has assets worth Bt171.1 million without any debt. The value of his assets declined by Bt130,000.

Must have paid for some of his drinks with his own money...maybe he is reforming? No, probably not...

• Like 2

I expect interest and investments alone accounted for quite a bit.... really 33m is that all on her net wealth ? seems pretty insignificant to me.

Please re-read the OP. Especially this part: 'As of May 7 when she was disqualified from office following a ruling by the Constitutional Court, Yingluck had assets worth Bt601 million and Bt28 million in debt.'

If there is a 'real' effort to enact reform, then all military, appointed, and elected officials should annually declare their wealth and relevant financial data. When, and if, there are elected officials in the future, there should be a requirement that their finances be placed in a 'blind trust' subject to annual disclosures.

Another way to fight corruption is to require all citizens to declare their bank accounts or other financial holdings when filing taxes and enact some form of capital gains tax. This would make it much more easier to monitor money laundering and other transactions that could point to corruption or unjust enrichment.

• Like 1

So if this is the main reason for her gain in wealth, then why is there a slant in the article which implies that her rise in wealth is from corruption? This article does nothing except fuel the propaganda for the PDRC, I think what everyone really wants to see is hard facts proving her misconduct beyond a reasonable doubt.

I need to brush up on my english skills. To me, the article doesn't seem slanted to claiming that she gained in wealth due to corruption. Do you think it's slanted because they don't detail exactly which assets increased and decreased? I just don't see it.

• Like 1

I need to brush up on my english skills. To me, the article doesn't seem slanted to claiming that she gained in wealth due to corruption. Do you think it's slanted because they don't detail exactly which assets increased and decreased? I just don't see it.

The fact that the main reason her rise in wealth is tucked half way inside the article and is quickly rebutted by a quote by Abhisit on a watch she didn't declare. Abhisit has absolutely no credibility when it comes to speaking against graft as his administrations cabinet members wealth rose by 4.5 billion and he was in office for the same amount of time. The needless inclusion of Abhisit is what slants the article towards the side of the democrats. And the headline is what most people read, not everyone reads the article, saying the information came from an anti-graft body implies that it was the result of graft and is misleading.

Edited by anantha92
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

s s s so wh w wha what are you ttttttrying ttttttto say?

• Like 1

Mind you that all those figure that are showing here are the KNOWN figures out there in the open,

no way of telling how much money is hidden under all sorts of proxy, friends, relatives and overseas

accounts.....

If there is more money/assets out there in shadowy accounts, then the powers that be should track them down and make them known. I assume the powers that be have tried to do just that and not found anything. So continued speculation makes a good story, but is nothing more than fantasy. Until proven different of course.

TBH, the figures quoted in this article don't quite jibe with the accusations of bleeding the country dry through corruption. But it was never about that really, was it.

If there is a 'real' effort to enact reform, then all military, appointed, and elected officials should annually declare their wealth and relevant financial data. When, and if, there are elected officials in the future, there should be a requirement that their finances be placed in a 'blind trust' subject to annual disclosures.

Another way to fight corruption is to require all citizens to declare their bank accounts or other financial holdings when filing taxes and enact some form of capital gains tax. This would make it much more easier to monitor money laundering and other transactions that could point to corruption or unjust enrichment.

A nice idea but doesn't happen in cuckoo land.