Prayuth tops people's choice as next PM

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

People were asked who they wanted to be the next PM. Whilst 31 per cent isn't an overwhelming majority it wasn't a restricted list and it's more than double his nearest rival, Abhisit.

I think far more significant is that former PM Yingluck received a paltry 7 per cent and she was the best supported anti-coup figure.

The future is bright and it's certainly not red.

Do you actually think this is a serious, valid poll?

Do you actually know it isn't?

Some people need to have things made very clear to them. This poll was conducted by the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness. It's clearly a NCPO shill. Would you believe a McDonald's poll that showed that people rank McDonald's hamburgers as the best? Or a PTP poll showing the majority of Thais oppose the coup?

"This poll was conducted by the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness. " Is that a fact or your convenient spin?

"It's clearly a NCPO shill." Is that a fact or your convenient spin?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people need to have things made very clear to them. This poll was conducted by the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness. It's clearly a NCPO shill. Would you believe a McDonald's poll that showed that people rank McDonald's hamburgers as the best? Or a PTP poll showing the majority of Thais oppose the coup?

"This poll was conducted by the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness. " Is that a fact or your convenient spin?

Q1: fact, OP has

"Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association, (TRICHA)"

Q2: spin (allegedly that is rolleyes.gif )

Well one thing is abundantly clear. Since the coup the people seem to be a lot happier than they were before, even in Chiang Mai.

Did you do a poll? Probably not, a poll that might give results contrary to what the junta wants reported would be risky. I assume it is "abundantly clear" based on what you want to believe, perhaps confirmed by discussions with people you know to share your views.

That's the problem with assumptions, they are usually wrong.

Over the last few weeks, I have conducted and informal and (very) limited poll with the aid of my (formerly?) reddish g/f. The question was simply "What do you think of the military government?" and was carried out in 2 areas, mid-south and far NE (by phone). Some of the respondents from the mid-South are former northern residents, others "locals". All respondents were family members of g/f (in NE) or long-time friends who would feel safe to express candid views, none are university educated and include wage earners, farmers, small business owners and an elected NE village "mayor".

With one exception (ex-Korat southern resident, and she is generally regarded as a bit "thick" - NOT the g/f) responses were positive to enthusiastic (mostly Southeners). Stopping the violence, paying farmers, arms and drug seizures were all mentioned as positives.

Not one expressed concern over loss of democratic rights. When specifically asked on this subject, it was thought of as an attempt at humour.

The junta made a new law. They can't be charged for anything they do. The have Amnesty for everything.

I would assume that any amnesty can be overturned later if that was wanted. It seems unlikely however as so far the military don't seem to be doing too bad a job. Of course there's a way to go yet but if they keep going as they are and credible elections take place then I can't see many people wanting to go down that path.

Whilst things are going OK for the general right now and there's no reason why he shouldn't turn his hand to politics if he wishes he may find things a little harder in a parliamentary setting without the authority to do as he wishes particularly without a majority.

PTP with a majority still found it tough going.

Well one thing is abundantly clear. Since the coup the people seem to be a lot happier than they were before, even in Chiang Mai.

Did you do a poll? Probably not, a poll that might give results contrary to what the junta wants reported would be risky. I assume it is "abundantly clear" based on what you want to believe, perhaps confirmed by discussions with people you know to share your views.

Over the last few weeks, I have conducted and informal and (very) limited poll with the aid of my (formerly?) reddish g/f. The question was simply "What do you think of the military government?" and was carried out in 2 areas, mid-south and far NE (by phone). Some of the respondents from the mid-South are former northern residents, others "locals". All respondents were family members of g/f (in NE) or long-time friends who would feel safe to express candid views, none are university educated and include wage earners, farmers, small business owners and an elected NE village "mayor".

With one exception (ex-Korat southern resident, and she is generally regarded as a bit "thick" - NOT the g/f) responses were positive to enthusiastic (mostly Southeners). Stopping the violence, paying farmers, arms and drug seizures were all mentioned as positives.

Not one expressed concern over loss of democratic rights. When specifically asked on this subject, it was thought of as an attempt at humour.

Interesting. How many people did you call? How were they selected? What questions did you ask? Did you read from a script and ask exactly the same questions every time? How did you identify yourselves? Did you assure the people polled that their identity would remain anonymous?

You may have scratched the surface on how difficult it is do conduct a meaningful poll.

The junta made a new law. They can't be charged for anything they do. The have Amnesty for everything.

I would assume that any amnesty can be overturned later if that was wanted. It seems unlikely however as so far the military don't seem to be doing too bad a job. Of course there's a way to go yet but if they keep going as they are and credible elections take place then I can't see many people wanting to go down that path.

Whilst things are going OK for the general right now and there's no reason why he shouldn't turn his hand to politics if he wishes he may find things a little harder in a parliamentary setting without the authority to do as he wishes particularly without a majority.

The leaders of the 2006 coup made amnesty a part of the constitution written at their direction. They also made the constitution impossible to change without the support the the half of the Senate that was appointed, which meant it could not be changed without support from the traditional elite. I'm sure the new constitution will have similar guarantees that the junta can't be charged with anything.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you actually think this is a serious, valid poll?

Do you actually know it isn't?

Answer to first question: Read the second paragraph of the OP. Did it not occur to you to read the OP?

Answer to second question: It's an educated guess, based on the title, the fact that Google turns up nothing on them more than a few weeks old, and the "work in progress" nature of their website http://tricha.net/menu4.html. But I'm sure we will see lots of material from them in the near future. It strikes me as something put together hurriedly to generate biased "studies" that make the junta look good.

Edited by heybruce

The leaders of the 2006 coup made amnesty a part of the constitution written at their direction. They also made the constitution impossible to change without the support the the half of the Senate that was appointed, which meant it could not be changed without support from the traditional elite. I'm sure the new constitution will have similar guarantees that the junta can't be charged with anything.

You're right of course but my point was that it isn't impossible for an amnesty to be overturned. I think something similar happened in either Turkey or Greece recently although it took many years. South America is another place where the military have been taken to task eventually.

I think the difference here is the lack of violence in the coup which would make it unlikely that there would be the support for any action. Apart from the suppression of criticism, which I think is a mistake from a PR point of view the military seem to be doing their best to keep as many as possible on side. We'll have to wait and see what they achieve in the future.

Interesting. How many people did you call? How were they selected? What questions did you ask? Did you read from a script and ask exactly the same questions every time? How did you identify yourselves? Did you assure the people polled that their identity would remain anonymous?

You may have scratched the surface on how difficult it is do conduct a meaningful poll.

Gee Bruce, if you read the post again you can answer most of your questions. With family and friends, there was no need for identification (strangely) or assurances of anonymity. A poll described as informal and (very) limited can still be meaningful, as it most certainly was not restricted to those sharing my political views.

"Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, came third with 8.4 per cent of support and Democrat chief advisor came fourth with 8.1 per cent of support. "

Does this mean Suthep actually had 8.4 + 8.1 = 16.5% voting for him, or didn't theNation know the name of the Democrats chief advisor?

Good point, anyone know what the Nation is raving on about here ?

Gee Bruce, if you read the post again you can answer most of your questions. With family and friends, there was no need for identification (strangely) or assurances of anonymity. A poll described as informal and (very) limited can still be meaningful, as it most certainly was not restricted to those sharing my political views.

@ heybruce, that hurt you are feeling, that's the truth. And it is not going away ! clap2.gif

Sorry, but a poll of family and friends is far from an informative poll taken from a representative sampling of the population. In short it does not support your statement:

"Well one thing is abundantly clear. Since the coup the people seem to be a lot happier than they were before, even in Chiang Mai."

A poll described as informal and very limited can be meaningful, or misleading. That's why it's a bad idea to read too much into it.

This thread, although about a seemingly trivial subject seems to have worked as the perfect acid test for the gullibility of those who have absolutely no idea of the real situation in Thailand.

A military that serves the monarchy has toppled a democratically elected government that had fanatical supporters and opponents, has declared martial law, imposed censorship, and is writing a new constitution to replace the constitution written at its direction after the last military coup.

I could add a lot of other details, but isn't that the basic situation?

'A military that pledged by oath to serve the monarchy' sounds correct. Probably similar in other countries with a King/Queen as head of State (or however that's phrased).

Democratically elected, not democratically handling, caretaker interim government which allegedly had fanatical supporters who cowardly attacked anti-government protesters in the night. A Military organisation which called together the main parties involved for talks and disgusted gave up after two days as each party involved only accused the others of being 'dense', 'undemocratic' and 'guilty'. Is seeking input in writing a new version of the constitution which even some anti-fascists here declared flawed and based on a flawed earlier (1997) version.

I could add lots of other details, but the topic is "Prayuth tops peoples choice as next PM' thumbsup.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

This thread, although about a seemingly trivial subject seems to have worked as the perfect acid test for the gullibility of those who have absolutely no idea of the real situation in Thailand.

A military that serves the monarchy has toppled a democratically elected government that had fanatical supporters and opponents, has declared martial law, imposed censorship, and is writing a new constitution to replace the constitution written at its direction after the last military coup.

'A military that pledged by oath to serve the monarchy' sounds correct. Probably similar in other countries with a King/Queen as head of State (or however that's phrased).

Democratically elected, not democratically handling, caretaker interim government which allegedly had fanatical supporters who cowardly attacked anti-government protesters in the night. A Military organisation which called together the main parties involved for talks and disgusted gave up after two days as each party involved only accused the others of being 'dense', 'undemocratic' and 'guilty'. Is seeking input in writing a new version of the constitution which even some anti-fascists here declared flawed and based on a flawed earlier (1997) version.

I could add lots of other details, but the topic is "Prayuth tops peoples choice as next PM' thumbsup.gif

I avoided one-sided opinions, I knew others would provide them.

Also not even in the same ball park as the real facts.

• Like 1

The stages of a fascist military dictatorship. (this is a quiz)

Stage 1. Most people are very enthusiastic.

Stage 2. "Well it's a difficult situation. Give them more time."

Stage 3. ?

Stage 4. ?

Stage 5. ?

Now, what are the next 3 stages?

• Like 1

Also not even in the same ball park as the real facts.

Do you consider my facts to be incorrect, or do you think there are more important real facts? Please clarify.

A Military organisation which called together the main parties involved for talks and disgusted gave up after two days as each party involved only accused the others of being 'dense', 'undemocratic' and 'guilty'.

Suthep even came out himself and said they were plotting it since 2010.

I can only presume you are still trolling this tired topic to death, safe in the knowledge the same handful of posters will take your bait

• Like 2

The stages of a fascist military dictatorship. (this is a quiz)

Stage 1. Most people are very enthusiastic.

Stage 2. "Well it's a difficult situation. Give them more time."

Stage 3. ?

Stage 4. ?

Stage 5. ?

Now, what are the next 3 stages?

The flat earth, history is static mentality is alive and well.

A Military organisation which called together the main parties involved for talks and disgusted gave up after two days as each party involved only accused the others of being 'dense', 'undemocratic' and 'guilty'.

Suthep even came out himself and said they were plotting it since 2010.

I can only presume you are still trolling this tired topic to death, safe in the knowledge the same handful of posters will take your bait

You responding is duly noted, my friend. Thank you thumbsup.gif

I do think people expected it and see the coup as stability and a fresh start. However, from what I see the Junta can be trusted more than many of the politicians they replace, and remember this is a Kingdom so whatever your view, under Thai law the coup is perfectly legal. It's too early to see how it will turn out, but I'd rather than have a coup than a revolution.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I do think people expected it and see the coup as stability and a fresh start. However, from what I see the Junta can be trusted more than many of the politicians they replace, and remember this is a Kingdom so whatever your view, under Thai law the coup is perfectly legal. It's too early to see how it will turn out, but I'd rather than have a coup than a revolution.

How is it perfectly legal ??

Do please explain how an armed insurrection and assumption of power can be perfectly legal.

• Like 1

Best read the constitution then, and now the King has given his approval. Perfectly legal and bloodless Coup. In fact we should always think about the King, possibly the greatest ambassador for sorting problems you could ever have, solved or instigated many many agricultural and technological advances. A man who is quiet rightly loved and respected, even by non Thais.

In fact possibly one of the best organised coups in recent times, remember the military is sworn to protect the king and royal family, guess their doing their Job quiet well, it remains to be seen how the economy will hold together but so far they seem to be moving fast on what people want, fuel, water, shelter and safety. And, cheaper lottery, motorcycle taxis and reducing corruption which hurts the poor more than anyone.

How is it perfectly legal ??

Do please explain how an armed insurrection and assumption of power can be perfectly legal.

It may or may not be "perfectly legal" philw, but I am sure the majority of Thai people believe it was perfectly timed and orchestrated. Especially the ones who benefited financially in the way of long overdue rice payments, I but they are not the least concerned with legalities, at least they have their money.

And a lot believe it was very necessary, as more and more skeletons are flushed from the closet and more facts revealed.

And if you are so against this latest coup, a bloodless coup as in 2006, which has not cost any lives but most likely saved lives, then I cannot imagine how you must feel about the obviously illegal failed Thaksin coup of 2010.

( Was Thaksins disaster legal ? And remind me again, what was the desired outcome ? )

An "armed insurrection" which cost the lives of scores of people and racked up a massive damages bill. You must have been outraged.

That is if your real agenda is the legalities of these actions. whistling.gif

Edited by mikemac
  • Like 1