Police Say Anti-American Protest Not Violation of Martial Law

Lite Beer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red shirts are coming out today, a lot of sour grapes being voiced here. ''They are arresting people for eating sandwiches' - what a load of hogwash. People arranged 'anti coup demos' and made sure masses of reporters were there to watch then did this stupid crap and the army arrested them because 'zero tolerance' means zero tolerance. If they still want to go ahead and try and be anti coup publicity whores, that is their problem. I agree with the military's actions completely. Look at how nice and peaceful the last month has been and look at what the military have accomplished. Would you rather go back to the previous behaviors with red shirts murdering their opponents in 3am attacks ? I am sure a number of you moronic red loving idiots would, meanwhile the majority of non extremist normal people would much rather what we have today. You can try and poo poo it all you want but you are full of crap...

what a bunch of tish.if thailand calls itself a democracy,be a democracy

if thailand wants to be a dictature,be a dictature

but if a democracy,stop to arrest students for things like that.zero tolerance to what?

A point you seem to be misunderstanding is that Thailand has NEVER BEEN A DEMOCRACY ! Why is that so hard for people to understand ?! When you can get your brain around that.....There was voting, 1 of the 15 things you need for a democracy however the other 14 were sadly lacking or just non existent. It's all good and well Yingluck continually spouting 'I come from erection, I come from erection' but when she and the rest of the PTP clowns do what they want regardless of the law and continue to ignore the other 14 elements of what makes a democracy, that is how we came to where we were before the military took over.....Elections are a part of democracy and yes a very important part, but not all there is to it.

• Like 1

What is the problem? USA choses it's trading partners and who to support using tax payers money. If USA don't want to trade, participate in military exercises, give aid etc, it's up to them. Thais and Thailand should not interfere in American affairs by criticizing or protesting outside the embassy.

The United States would actually appreciate protester of such; for, it demonstrates what democracy is all about, being able to openly say (disagree or disagree with a government) about any issue. wai2.gif

And... in USA's eyes, as long as your leader is elected (no matter how corrupt or incompetent he/she is) in a "free" election and your government calls itself a "democracy" then this form of "democracy" is better than anything else. (OK USA, Saddam in Iraq was a dictator and not the easiest person to live under, but are the Iraqi people better off today? -- and does this form of "democracy" give the Iraqi people peace and harmony today???? ) whistling.gif

So, before the American "armchair experts" start lecturing countries such as Thailand that they need to have elections within 3 weeks, these "experts" better ask themselves will having elections really make the country better at this moment? facepalm.gif

Very very funny post. The US loves democracy as long as you are in agreement with them. Period. The current version of US democracy is starting to look like something Mussolini would be proud of.

Spidermike007

• Like 1

Perhaps Thailand can heal its internal conflict and find unity to move forward in a common cause--and it seems the US has provided the catalyst by their meddling.

The US is not meddling - it's advocating adherence to international norms.

If the Junta were to decide to kick out foreigners without cause, I hope the US will "meddle" on our behalves.

Perhaps Thailand can heal its internal conflict and find unity to move forward in a common cause--and it seems the US has provided the catalyst by their meddling.

If the Junta were to decide to kick out foreigners without cause, I hope the US will "meddle" on our behalves.

Oh come on! The other day, there was a story in the US about a swat team bursting through the door at 3am - and of the wrong house, for that matter - in response to someone possibly selling drugs, and throwing a grenade in to the crib of a sleeping toddler. No apology whatsoever was even made. Is that an international norm, to you?

Let's not even delve into the utterly disastrous foriegn policy America employs - for example, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, on and on.

Compared to ANY of those things, or even just the last 2 coups here - this action by the Junta has been incredibly peaceful. This so called 'coup' didn't even install another leader yet. It's purpose is to keep more violence from spreading, while they figure out what to do. Compared to other events I've witnessed first hand - including the way NYC handled the occupy protests with police violence and an unconstutional media black out - this is nothing so bad at all. This is, after all, in response to major corruption charges, it's worth remembering. I wish the police and military in America were even half as peaceful as this Junta has been.

Edited by John1thru10

"The lone protester, Thep Vetchavisit, said he was there to voice his anger towards the US government for downgrading its military relations with Thailand..."

The Mouse That Roared whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

Great movie biggrin.png

Where do you see that the US is meddling? They are doing the opposite and stopped providing support to the Thai Military. I would say if they continued to support the Thai Military aid then that would be meddling. If you don't know the US was giving $4 million USD a year to the Thai Military, so now they stopped.

It's not like the US is sitting at the boarder ready to invade Thailand or trying to tell the military what to do.

As for the report this was being created long before the coup took place and it's not just Thailand that is evaluated.

You are right, it was a poor choice to say "meddling" for the reasons you indicate.

I should have stated, "...the US has provided a catalyst by its recent actions".

Thanks for pointing that out.

and unfortunately, another opportunity for China to fill the financial gaps arising from US "non-meddling" in the region.

Let us not pretend that the US meddling in various countries is somehow altruistic. US meddling is all about projection of influence / soft power.

These days they are normally wary of giving the Chinese a way in. They should tread carefully in Thailand because the Thais are all about the money.

Edited by bangon04

It always meddling until you are in need of help, relief, aid, assistance in times of peril, natural distasters. And who comes a' knockin'? The dog with the tail between its legs that just complaining moments before about meddling.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

Oh come on! The other day, there was a story in the US about a swat team bursting through the door at 3am - and of the wrong house, for that matter - in response to someone possibly selling drugs, and throwing a grenade in to the crib of a sleeping toddler. No apology whatsoever was even made. Is that an international norm, to you?

Let's not even delve into the utterly disastrous foriegn policy America employs - for example, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, on and on.

Compared to ANY of those things, or even just the last 2 coups here - this action by the Junta has been incredibly peaceful. This so called 'coup' didn't even install another leader yet. It's purpose is to keep more violence from spreading, while they figure out what to do. Compared to other events I've witnessed first hand - including the way NYC handled the occupy protests with police violence and an unconstutional media black out - this is nothing so bad at all. This is, after all, in response to major corruption charges, it's worth remembering. I wish the police and military in America were even half as peaceful as this Junta has been.

Thank you. I no longer consider the US a functional democracy. By name only. Obama clearly is aiming for a fascist Republic. And he is complaining about Thailand? What a hypocritical incompetent neophyte. Did I also mention an lying ignoramus?

Spidermike007

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So America should not have laws that forbid it from providing material support to undemocratically elected governments? Or, is it expected to make a special case for Thailand?

Or are you speaking of the TIP trafficking report- that should be ignored, too?

So Thailand should not be held to the same standards as other nations? Well, I can almost agree with that as no way can it ever achieve that with a largely uneducated populace as its core, which is quite deliberate.

Were these laws in place around the time of Pinochet or Saddam's rise?

The law you are referring to is the Foreign Aid Act of 1961 which provides that no assistance shall be provided to a government that:

"engages in a consistent pattern of gross violations of internationally recognized human rights, including torture or cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment, prolonged detention without charges, causing the disappearance of persons by the abduction and clandestine detention of those persons, or other flagrant denial of the right to life, liberty, and the security of person, unless such assistance will directly benefit the needy people in such country.”

With limited exceptions, no US foreign aid may flow to "any country whose duly elected head of government is deposed by military coup d'etat or decree or ... a coup d'etat in which the military plays a decisive role."

The law's focus on "military coup" may explain why Gen. Prayuth wants to portray his overthrow of the democratically-elected Thai government as an “interdiction” rather than as “coup.” The military is no doubt well aware of FAA.

In the case of Marxist Salvador Allende's election in the 1970 Chilean elections during the USSR-US Cold War era, US President Nixon actually promoted a military coup to block the rise of communism in South America and subsequently, increased foreign aid to that country after the coup. Similarily, the US provided military aid in the form of credits for weapons purchases and intelligence to Sadaam in his war with US nemisis Iran until Sadaam invaded Kuwait in August 1990. Obama administration refused to label the 2013 Egyptian military coup as a coup, instead taking care to refer to it as a “popular uprising” considering the anti-government protests by millions of Egyptians against President Morsi who had with support of the Muslim Brotherhood dominated-parliament given himself sole power to create legislation without review or challenge.

So the essence of FAA was not a purely humantairan act with the US acting as the social conscious for the world (what country could bear that burden) but rather as the advancement of democracy and respect for human rights that is essential to U.S. national security.

So in the case of Thailand, the US has cut immediate aid in compliance with US law but ultimately must weigh its short-term foreign policy goals against its long-term goals as relates to US national security. If Thailand does not move quickly towards a free and open democratically-elected government as the sole legislative power of the country that will guarantee human rights, the US short-term goals will become its long-term goal and view Thailand as a political antagonist.

Would you regard Pinochet's tenure as an advancement of democracy? Respect for human rights? coffee1.gif

The US politicians, particularly from the State Department, could lessen the danger Americans face in the world by refraining from making unnecessary hypocritical rhetorics!

Those words: "no justification (of the coup)" really turned my stomach! What could have been a "justification" in his mind? Till a civil war started and at the same time with some of the appointed people with dubious background heading some important agencies? Could any country be entrusted in the hands of some of these people? In fact, I think these appointments played a large roll in what finally needed to happen. Skepticism and mistrust had created inharmoniness that was causing society to disintegrate and losing faith in the whole system!

The junta is currently trying to remedy many of the ills carried over in decades to make it a lawful society, and yet, some fine pens in the forum are sowing skepticism and mistrust to disrupt the ongoing process which could only benefit the ordinary citizens/residents living in the country.

Remembers me on China. Internal protests are not permitted but hey protest against Vietnam and the US are ok.

I have heard this comment before that China doesn't have protests...not sure if any of those actually checked about it or just presumed it.

surprising... there are almost 500 a day in China....usually by Chinese people disputing corruption by government officials..

1 person protesting in Thailand about US policy is really a non issue except for those who feel that the US is always being picked on.

Remembers me on China. Internal protests are not permitted but hey protest against Vietnam and the US are ok.

I have heard this comment before that China doesn't have protests...not sure if any of those actually checked about it or just presumed it.

surprising... there are almost 500 a day in China....usually by Chinese people disputing corruption by government officials..

1 person protesting in Thailand about US policy is really a non issue except for those who feel that the US is always being picked on.

800,000 are expected to attend a rally tomorrow in Hong Kong against China government tomorrow

800k is the number of people who voted in the poll, would be surprising if all showed up (that would be about 10% of

the population).

Good on the fella for making a tiny statement. What kinds of solutions did the brilliant minds in the US Govt. offer when Thailand was falling apart, with divisions so deep, and no solutions in sight? The government was nearly dysfunctional (as the US govt. nearly is right now) and nothing was offered. No assistance, no advice, nothing. So now, that the sacred cow of democracy has been breached, they do not want to associate with the so called junta leaders. How many times has the US engaged countries with truly despicable and heinous leadership? Dozens of times, but there was always a strategic interest, of which there are few found in Thailand. The level of duplicity and shallow falsehood that the US demonstrates on a daily basis is staggering. And understand, I am a US citizen. But, I am not standing around, and swallowing the Kool Aid.

Seriously, you think Thailand would ever take any kind of advise from another country let alone America. Thailand is too proud to see their problems... 5 year old children can make better decisions.

Would you regard Pinochet's tenure as an advancement of democracy? Respect for human rights? coffee1.gif

America is not perfect and has had some questionable leaders that have bent laws to their tastes. However Thailand is far less than perfect and has nothing but questionable leaders and US simply isn't going to ignore this particular failed state's new dictator at this time. He just isn't that important-apparently.

Edited by EBlair48

America is not perfect and has had some questionable leaders that have bent laws to their tastes. However Thailand is far less than perfect and has nothing but questionable leaders and US simply isn't going to ignore this particular failed state's new dictator at this time. He just isn't that important-apparently.

You've got this assbackwards.

It would be great if the US were ignoring this, but they're not and here's why :

You can say what you want about Thai people, but Thailand is important. It sits on a strategic location at the underbelly of continental East Asia. It is a therefore a lynch pin of the US 'pivot' towards Asia which is in itself a key part of the strategy to encircle China and Russia. Conversely, the Chinese have their own strategy to counter this and it's called the 'String of Pearls' doctrine.

Not only that, Thailand's borders cover much of the area designated by the UN as one of the world's five hyper-productive areas in terms of food (coincidentally, Ukraine sits on most of one of the other areas).

The bankers who control the US and the EU are getting their knickers in a twist because their boy Thaksin is out. Bankers hate losing their investment.

If you can control food, fuel and water you can control everything else relating to populations.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

So America should not have laws that forbid it from providing material support to undemocratically elected governments? Or, is it expected to make a special case for Thailand?

So Thailand should not be held to the same standards as other nations? Well, I can almost agree with that as no way can it ever achieve that with a largely uneducated populace as its core, which is quite deliberate.

Given the USA's track record overseas of meddling in politics, installing new Govt's and generally ignoring anything they don't agree with as long as the oil flows, or they can retain "influence" in whatever country happens to interest them at that moment, it is rather hypocritical of the USA to tell Thailand what to do or not do.

Where is the USA telling Thailand what to do? They are not involved in anything that is going on in Thailand and have no intent to get involved.

Given the USA's track record overseas of meddling in politics, installing new Govt's and generally ignoring anything they don't agree with as long as the oil flows, or they can retain "influence" in whatever country happens to interest them at that moment, it is rather hypocritical of the USA to tell Thailand what to do or not do.

Where is the USA telling Thailand what to do? They are not involved in anything that is going on in Thailand and have no intent to get involved.

They arnt telling Thailand what to do, its just stupid headlines and silly posters getting all righteous over nothing... same as the lone protester... funny is what it is.

Withdrawing "aid", imposing sanctions, cancelling military training exercises, negative statements from Foreign Ministers/Attache's etc . . . all "messages" sent by USA to Thailand that the USA is not happy or don't agree with things.

You still think that's not getting involved or not telling Thailand what to do?

• Like 2

Withdrawing "aid", imposing sanctions, cancelling military training exercises, negative statements from Foreign Ministers/Attache's etc . . . all "messages" sent by USA to Thailand that the USA is not happy or don't agree with things.

You still think that's not getting involved or not telling Thailand what to do?

But it's the USAs money. They can do what they want with it. So Thailand, if you want the American money what do you need to do..

• Like 1

does anyone in this forum believe that the US can do anything right in the eyes of some?

If the US came out in support of the coup . the haters would be against it, If the US came out against the coup as every civilized has, the haters would,, as they have in this thread, come out against it.

To them I suggest

Breath slowly in to a brown paper bag and stop hyperventilating, The US. as any other responsible country, will do and say what is in the best interest of their country. as I hope you country does.

I can believe that the US can do something right...but if one disagrees with it's foreign policy then that equates they are a hater?

I haven't seen Thai condemn US foreign policy until the US condemned Thailand on the coup..

So under your hater argument the US hates Thailand.

Really a silly argument on your part.

re. the OP.....It was 1 Thai person protesting the US Policy on Thailand....hardly indicative of the general feelings of Thai towards the US.

• Like 1