Entertainer Rolf Harris guilty of indecent assaults

webfact

Rolf Harris guilty of indecent assaults

LONDON: -- Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris has been found guilty of 12 counts of indecently assaulting four girls in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

One of the victims was a childhood friend of his daughter, another was an autograph hunter aged seven or eight.

Prosecutors said Harris was a "Jekyll and Hyde" character who took advantage of his fame. Sentencing is on Friday.

Police said they were considering fresh allegations against Harris, 84, which did not form part of his trial.

Scotland Yard said if the claims meet the force's threshold for investigation they will be looked into further.

The judge, Mr Justice Sweeney, said a custodial term was "uppermost in the court's mind", but he wanted to see a medical report before passing sentence.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28094561

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-01

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolf Harris new home is a tiny cell at Wandsworth Jail where celebrities are targeted by other inmates

THE small cold cell with pale yellow walls is a long way from what Rolf Harris used to call home.

When he walks in and looks around he will see a sink, a toilet and basic shelves. There will be very little privacy with just a small screen between his bed and his new cellmate.

They will share a cell no larger than 10ft by 6ft.

This week he will be spending time with wife Alwen in their spacious mansion in what will almost certainly be his last days of freedom.

With a possible sentence of up to 20 years, the elderly and unwell Harris must know he will probably die in jail.

Former inmates of Wandsworth Jail, likely to be Harris first stop after his sentencing on Friday, describe chipped bunk beds, a small window that barely opens and everything made of moulded plastic so nothing can be broken or used as weapons.

But a lack of creature comforts would be the least of Harris worries as the newest inmate at Wandsworth. As a convicted child sex offender and a well-known face, he will have a target on his back among the intimidating criminals under the same roof.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/rolf-harris-new-home-is-a-tiny-cell-at-wandsworth-jail-where-celebrities-are-targeted-by-other-inmates/story-fndir2ev-1226973628448

news.com.au.jpg

-- News.com.au 2014-07-01

• Like 1

Never liked the bloke. Hope they lock him up a long time, but then he is 84.

Yep, so he should do really hard time, since he hasn't got much left.

I'd say chain him in a cell and let the other prisoners insert things into him ;)

Grub.

• Like 1

Police are considering fresh allegations against Rolf Harris after he was convicted of indecently assaulting four girls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28102238

Locking him up now is just plain daft. The only reasonable purpose of a custodial sentence is to protect innocent members of society. At his age he is now no threat to anybody, and jailing him is pure revenge. In the aftermath of the Savile affair I suppose this was inevitable, but it is the BBC executives who turned a blind to eye to Savile, Harris and other pedophiles out of pure financial self-interest for years while feeding at the public trough who should really be doing time.

Harris has already been publicly humiliated. He should be stripped of all his wealth property and thereby impoverished; this way the state would gain some benefit, rather than wasting millions on incarcerating a person who is no danger to anybody.

I do not think because supposedly at his age he would not be capable of commuting similar offences as reasonable excuse not to send him to prison, but the judge should take his age into consideration, I think 1 to 2 years to be appropriate in this case (he would thus spend probably less than half that time inside).

Wonder if the judge is considering deportation on his release? whistling.gif

Edited by Basil B

Locking him up now is just plain daft. The only reasonable purpose of a custodial sentence is to protect innocent members of society. At his age he is now no threat to anybody, and jailing him is pure revenge. In the aftermath of the Savile affair I suppose this was inevitable, but it is the BBC executives who turned a blind to eye to Savile, Harris and other pedophiles out of pure financial self-interest for years while feeding at the public trough who should really be doing time.

Harris has already been publicly humiliated. He should be stripped of all his wealth property and thereby impoverished; this way the state would gain some benefit, rather than wasting millions on incarcerating a person who is no danger to anybody.

He deserves to die in prison. I have no sympathy for rockspiders who have ruined the lives of numerous victims. Why should the victims live in a private hell why we show compassion and sympathy for the lowlife offenders.

Another 15 women have claimed the former TV presenter harassed them in Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Malta dating back to the late 1960s.

Now another alleged victim can be added to the growing list.

West Australian Louise Anton has spoken publicly for the first time in the wake of Harris's conviction in London.

She's told Sky News UK that the entertainer indecently assaulted her in Australia in 2008 when the pair had their photo taken at a function.

Read more at http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/07/01/06/38/harris-told-victim-it-feels-good-dunnit#wqJCWbBrwShXS1Cd.99

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

He is a danger to children and anyone who treats children like that should be locked up for life.

What a twisted perspective if ever I read one.

It's not about revenge, it is about punishing sins, giving justice to his victims and deterring others.

I say 10 years and if he is well behaved, let him out after 5 years on license for the rest of his life, if he re-offends so much as takes a library book back late... then make him finish his sentence.

Having said that.. a non-celebrity would be looking at a realistic 15 to 20 years with less considerations for a history of offending like his.

• Like 1

He will not only end up in prison but he may well end up losing a considerable proportion of his £11 million fortune, according to the Independent because to start with the victims so far can now launch a civil action against him.

And apparently there are even more victims which were not named the first time around, but are still coming forward.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rolf-harris-guilty-revealed--how-the-octopus-faces-civil-claims-against-11m-fortune-as-further-allegations-emerge-9573668.html

His charade is finally come to an end , jail him and let the victims launch a civil case so he losses his assets , what makes a man with everything going for him in life do the unthinkable. Rolf Harris may not be to old to learn some new games from his new neighbours.

"but he may well end up losing a considerable proportion of his £11 million fortune, according to the Independent because to start with the victims so far can now launch a civil action against him----Asiantravel"

Wow the "Victims".. wouldn't do that would they...... There not after any of his money......................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I know I will probably get a lot of flack for this Post so first of all may I make it absolutely clear I have no sympathy with predatory Pedophiles - such as Jimmy Savile clearly was.

That said however:

Anyone of my age will clearly remember the dozens of screaming female "Groupies" of the '60's and early '70's - many obviously well under 16 years of age - who populated every "Top of the Pops" and other such TV screenings ....... quite clearly desperate to meet personally with their "Idol" they would go to any extent to make that happen - and rather pathetically I agree, hope to be remembered by the object of their fascination.

Some DJ's and many "Stars" more than probably took advantage of their fame and personal attraction; basically "perks of the job" - again sorry if that offends anyone but we all must surely realise it's true.

Now, 40 + years later these same women are suddenly fraught with angst and decide that in many cases (NOT all I agree) they were victimised and assaulted against their will.

AGAIN may I emphasise that I am not condoning underage sex in any way - but let's be honest here, if you were in that position, having cute nubile girls - literally - throw their knickers on stage and beg to be allowed to meet you in the Dressing Room afterwards what would you do?

Patrick

If you read the letter Rolf Harris wrote to the father of one of the victims, I think you will have to agree, at least in one case anyway it was far from “throwing their knickers on stage “rolleyes.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/rolf-harris-guilty-the-damning-letter-that-sealed-his-fate-9573864.html

These type of people are dispised in prison.

Due to his age, I don't see him getting out.

I hope the victims can also lodge a civil suite for compensation.

And they haven't yet taken the Order of Australia off him yet? Shame on the Govt.

The shame these people held for so many years; I hope it gives courage to others.

I know I will probably get a lot of flack for this Post so first of all may I make it absolutely clear I have no sympathy with predatory Pedophiles - such as Jimmy Savile clearly was.

That said however:

Anyone of my age will clearly remember the dozens of screaming female "Groupies" of the '60's and early '70's - many obviously well under 16 years of age - who populated every "Top of the Pops" and other such TV screenings ....... quite clearly desperate to meet personally with their "Idol" they would go to any extent to make that happen - and rather pathetically I agree, hope to be remembered by the object of their fascination.

Some DJ's and many "Stars" more than probably took advantage of their fame and personal attraction; basically "perks of the job" - again sorry if that offends anyone but we all must surely realise it's true.

Now, 40 + years later some of these same women are suddenly fraught with angst and decide that in many cases (NOT all I agree) they were victimised and assaulted against their will.

AGAIN may I emphasise that I am not condoning underage sex in any way - but let's be honest here, if you were in that position, having cute nubile girls - literally - throw their knickers on stage and beg to be allowed to meet you in the Dressing Room afterwards what would you do?

Patrick

Should people be judged through the optic of the times they lived in? I can remember back to a time when drink driving was fun, that is to say before legal sanction backed by a campaign to change our view of drink driving changed the way it was morally viewed. This is not an argument as to guilt or innocence but few things in life exist in a vacuum.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2