D-Day for 80-baht Thai lottery price today

webfact

D-Day for 80-baht lottery price today

D-Day-for-80-baht-lottery-price-today-wp

BANGKOK: -- For the first time in many years, the public will be able to purchase lottery tickets at a price of 80 baht per pair following the National council for Peace and Order (NCPO) efforts to reform the Government Lottery Office (GLO).

But this was what authorities assured.

However in reality, question remains as most lottery vendors said they could not sell at the controlled price of 80 baht because when the lottery tickets came to their hands for sale, it has been marked up to over 90 baht.

If they sold at 80 baht, then they could expect huge loss and might give up business.

Brushing aside the fact that the big lottery monopolisers still enjoy the lion share of the price gap, lottery authorities said the show must go on.

Today will be the first day that the GLO issues the new batch of lottery tickets for the July 16 draw.

The GLO has asked for the cooperation of wholesalers to sell lottery tickets to distribution agents at 72 baht so that vendors could sell to the public at a price of no more than 80 baht per pair.

Any discrepancies in pricing will be severely dealt with especially at the main distribution locations such as at the Kok Wua intersection and in front of the Sanam Bin Nam district office.

These agents or wholesalers will have their quotas forfeited if they fail to comply with the GLO’s price restriction.

The Comptroller’s General Department meanwhile, has emphasized all relevant departments to strictly control prices set by retailers and vendors throughout the country.

The retail price must be no more than 80 Baht per pair and any overpricing will result in a fine of no more than 20,000 Baht or a one month jail term or in extreme cases, or both.

Yesterday’s lottery draw saw many vendors dumped prices to 60-80 baht for the first time in many years.

The reason for the price dumping stemmed from people fearing of buying the missing tickets declared void by the GLO which threatened to take legal action against those who bought the tickets and happened to win prizes.

Other reasons were that people chose to wait to buy lottery tickets at 80 baht today instead of over 100-120 baht.

These reasons prompted almost 50% drop in lottery sales by almost all vendors Tuesday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/d-day-80-baht-lottery-price-today/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-02

• Like 1

Comptroller General's Office making sure lottery tickets retail at 80 baht

PNSOC570702001000101_02072014_100612.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 July 2014 (NNT) – The Comptroller General's Department is guarding against overpricing of lottery tickets, starting with the batch due on July 16. At the same time, the Government Lottery Office is threatening to revoke the quotas of lottery ticket wholesalers who charge small vendors excessively for the tickets.

Dr. Kunthira Tantirangsi, acting director of the Government Lottery Office (GLO), explained that dealers who are granted quota allocation and wholesalers of the tickets have been told to make sure that they sell to small vendors at prices that would allow the final retail price to be 80 baht per ticket.

Small vendors who overprice will have their allocation reduced. Wholesalers who overprice will not have their contract renewed in the following year.

Dr. Kunthira said she believed that the prices would be successfully managed for the tickets for the July 16th draw. Small vendors are expected to start visiting the GLO today to claim the current batch of tickets.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-02 footer_n.gif

"The reason for the price dumping stemmed from people fearing of buying the missing tickets declared void by the GLO which threatened to take legal action against those who bought the tickets and happened to win prizes."

So if you unwittingly buy a "missing" ticket and win, you have legal action taken against you? Wow, that's harsh.

Still, it is a lottery I guess.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

A horrible waste of money. Ask a lottery player how much they have won or lost over the past 10 years playing and after they calculate it watch them weep.

Each to their own, its a democratic, free, populist country.

If they can really unravel this unholy mess, they I really will have to start supporting them.

The lottery govt or other, is the biggest money washing scam in the country. When they start messing with this, they are going straight to the heartland of the biggest creator of local feifodoms and money illegality. Just think of it people. A country where gambling is illegal but the whole country plays an "underground" lottery, and government tickets aren't sold at face value.

• Like 2

What are the odds of hitting six numbers in order as they are pulled? 1 in 100's of billions, trillions? to win a few million baht? Why would anybody in their right mind even consider spending that much on a ticket with these odds?

Has anyone ever hit the big prize?

I know 3 persons/families personal who won 5 million, 12 million and 16 million ฿. The 5 million was when the lottery still had 7 digits, 12 million was a family in MIL's village; money gone after 2 years..., 16 million just yesterday!

Chances compared to lotteries who choose 6 numbers out of 49 or similar are quite high.

• Like 1

Good initiative General Prayuth. For many years now, lottery-sellers have been able to make more than 100,000 THB monthly, which is far better than real work, while the lottery-mafia (wholesellers) controlled, who were allowed to sell the lottery tickets.

Nice to see things improving - quite sure they will get down to the middle men responsible for the overpriced tickets soon, and then also the whining of the lottery vendors will stop while people can afford to buy more tickets for less money. Never thought I'd see the day coming when this corrupt mess of a country is being cleaned up - miracles can happen!

• Like 1

I periodically play the lotto in Oz, much better chances to win big huge jackpots

and a reasonable odds... here in Thailand, just buying a lottery ticket it's already

a crap shoot, not knowing what shenanigans they will come up with next.....

What a wonderful positive Government we now have since the coup. This ending of the lottery scam is yet more excellent good news.

I always have believed in true democracy (no not the sham that they have in the USA and UK for example where the fat cats rule not the people) but it seems that this current military Government is even better the way this is going so far. Sure be good when and if it is all sorted and we hopefully get true non corrupt elections again and the Thai people are then able to respect the next true majority democratically elected Government. That means properly monitored and controlled elections and no more vote buying and other electoral corruptions we have seen in the past, so Thailand will then have a true free will vote by all eligible decent Thai folk. I am now more than ever certain this current good intentioned military administration will ensure that is exactly what Thailand will get by September 2015. In the meantime lets enjoy the good peaceful and stable times the Thais and us falang guests are now all having here smile.png .

• Like 1

I thought gambling was illegal

It is, but TIT

Yes now I understand, there is an immense difference from gambling on lottery numbers its not the same as gambling on the number of goals in the football game. What a transparent pathetic joke.

We have a blind aunt that sells tickets in front of the government hospital.

Until recently she could make a decent living out of it.

Now she will be back to where she belongs in Thailand as a handicapped person: with the poor.

Thank you so much Mr. Prayuth.

Edited by kriswillems

I am not a lottery buyer---- (mad odds) but I hope this doesn't take the employment away from all the disable / old folk etc that I see selling these tickets up in Issan, I always thought that the extra was their mark up /profit for walking around. Is not the way it works ??????

• Like 1

So finally the Thai people are gonna be able to buy a lottery ticket at the price printed on the ticket.

And then another poster in another thread asked me to explain to him why this county is a scam . facepalm.gif

"And then another poster in another thread asked me to explain to him why this county is a scam ."

It must be an intolerable burden for you to instruct everyone regarding your special insight. It's akin to a mission of enlightenment absent the incense & candles.

Did you explain why you'd left Farang Land (where never is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day) to come here to be scammed?

Good initiative General Prayuth. For many years now, lottery-sellers have been able to make more than 100,000 THB monthly, which is far better than real work, while the lottery-mafia (wholesellers) controlled, who were allowed to sell the lottery tickets.

You are out of touch on this, " lottery-sellers have been able to make more than 100,000 THB monthly ". In order to make 100,000 Baht , the ticket seller would need to sell well over 14,000 tickets in one month, using the recent prices. That same vendor would need to prepay for all of those tickets to the ticket wholesaler, which would require monthly up-front expenditure of more than 1.3 Million Baht. If this does not sound like the average Thai ticket-seller sitting in the market or going table to table in each local reataurant, you are quite right.

Most ticket-sellers make a monthly profit of 10,000 to 30,000 Baht each month. I know of one who makes 40,000 per month, but he is a legend among ticket sellers. 100,000 has never even been a dream of these people.

BTW tickets were available for purchase by ticket vendors today in Lamphun at a price of 92 Baht. You can lead a horse to water, but then you need to motivate him to drink.

Edited by tigermonkey

What are the odds of hitting six numbers in order as they are pulled? 1 in 100's of billions, trillions? to win a few million baht? Why would anybody in their right mind even consider spending that much on a ticket with these odds?

Has anyone ever hit the big prize?

It is 1 chance out of 999.999 not 100's of millions. And a few millions is a lot of money in this country. So let people have their dreams.

So let me get this right. It is 1 million to 1 chance of winning a few million right? .......There 1 million tickets sold per batch lot at 80 baht each which means 80 million paid out for a return of a few million in winnings. WOW ..just as well it has been cleaned up because most people would think somebody was getting (RIPPED OFF).

So finally the Thai people are gonna be able to buy a lottery ticket at the price printed on the ticket.

And then another poster in another thread asked me to explain to him why this county is a scam . facepalm.gif

You certainly have not advanced your point here. Gambling is always surrounded by scams and scammers. Thailand is not a scam. Anyone listening to you roasting Thailand would hear your own capricious speculations set forth as truths. You would use partial truths to convince people that you know what you are talking about. You would tell lies of convenience. You don't know squat. I would bet on it. :thumbsup: