NCPO declares August 11 an official public holiday: Queen's birthday Aug 12

webfact

This is great news by the NCPO and it encourages Thai's to travel over the long weekend. It highlights that they are sincere about rebuilding the Thai economy and making the people happy at the same time.

If only 1% of Thai's travelled in this 4 day weekend that would equate to the French tourists that enter Thailand in one year. Heck, if only 0.5% travel and take holidays it would equate to the Philippine tourists in a one year period.

Encouraging news and well done General Prayuth. It is good to see Thailand on the road to recovery.

"It highlights that they are sincere about rebuilding the Thai economy and making the people happy at the same time."

Wow - if they find the magic* formula for doing this, they should let the rest of the world know. I'm sure a lot of World Bank debtors would be keenly interested.

*with emphasis on the word, 'magic'...

idiotic.....business is bad enough without having holidays like this

Saturday and Sunday are holidays, Monday working, Tuesday a holiday.

You think giving the Monday as a holiday is stupid?

Where I come from it is called common sense.

Most people in Thailand work 6 to 6.5 days a week.

Not 5 days a week.

How does this help?

One would have to be pretty dim to believe this holiday will improve the economy , additional ' tourist ' revenue will be more than offset by a days lost production.

This is purely a popularist move to generate a feelgood factor , probably a very sensible move in the circumstances , but nothing to do with boosting the economy.

Not 5 days a week.

How does this help?

Well the banks work a 5 day week, the Post office 5 1/2 days, out here in rural Thailand not that many people work on a Sunday and if they get Sunday off, work Monday and get Tuesday off why would they want to work on a Monday?

Also people who work away would be happier as it gives them a chance to be with their families.

Does this mean no alcohol sales?

I am not sure if this was an attempt to belittle me or shock at my question but it was a valid question. Not that I have to explain my reasons for asking it but my husband works for a bar hence the question so I wanted to know if they would have to close on the 11th because not every holiday means bar closure.

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

I remember seeing the Queen on television a couple of years ago and she was talking about her upcoming birthday (my wife told me what she was saying)

She said it was ok for the King's birthday to be a public holiday and have bars closed for the day but she did not think it was right for the bars to close on her birthday as the people who owned the bars and worked there and supplied them were deprived of much needed income.

I thought it was good of her to think like that, very humble and caring. thumbsup.gif

Not 5 days a week.

How does this help?

Tell me please who gets the holiday ??? government workers-schools-banks etc.

Now for the rest, how can they have a day off ??? close all the shops?? stop transport ?? shutdown all the street venders ??? airports ???

My point being -a friend of mine manages a international sportswear shop, they pay extra peanuts because of the holiday day--BUT he has to work. this is typical of most of the population, so again re cap, WHO gets the holiday day, not many guesses is there.

Kids suffer another day of no tuition--bank workers/teachers/local government HOORAY.

• Like 1

Does this mean no alcohol sales?

I am not sure if this was an attempt to belittle me or shock at my question but it was a valid question. Not that I have to explain my reasons for asking it but my husband works for a bar hence the question so I wanted to know if they would have to close on the 11th because not every holiday means bar closure.

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

No. Just shocked at the lack of alcohol available!!

OK cool. Well like many have already stated I am pleased that my husband will get a well deserved day off as 7months working 12 hour nights and no day off he deserves it. I'm falang but we shouldn't all get tared with the same brush. I'm being selfish because I actually want my husband home with me for a few days especially as his birthday is 12th Aug.

Not 5 days a week.

How does this help?

Tell me please who gets the holiday ??? government workers-schools-banks etc.

Now for the rest, how can they have a day off ??? close all the shops?? stop transport ?? shutdown all the street venders ??? airports ???

My point being -a friend of mine manages a international sportswear shop, they pay extra peanuts because of the holiday day--BUT he has to work. this is typical of most of the population, so again re cap, WHO gets the holiday day, not many guesses is there.

Kids suffer another day of no tuition--bank workers/teachers/local government HOORAY.

Correct none of our family are civil servants and none are off work for this one... bit stupid to sit and cheer about boosting the economy and long weekend and all that, that is BS it aint happening for most and loads more Mae all around the nation will be stuck with the kid being off yet another working day from school and babbysitting while mom and dad work... yay for that coffee1.gif .

if only the Great Man would acknowledge your TVF accomplishments, then the opposition would become silent.......

It was the Right Honorable General Preyuth that stated this holiday would help the Thai economy. Even economists stated it would help the economy.

So you suggest that all Thai's in all of Thailand will sit at home for 4 days and spend no money? Is that what you propose will happen?

I used to live in Melbourne and when I had a 4 day holiday over winter it would involve me and my mates going to the snow resort for 3 days. We used to spend our money their on snowboarding and food and other things that stimulated the economy in albeit a small way. Get 10 000 young drunk like minded Aussies like me and thats a nice little tickle in the tourist economy. (Yes, I am still laughing)

The NCPO stated here that they were doing it to stimulate the economy and coinciding with Thai Airways offering discounted domestic fairs here over that 4 days is a recipe for a stimulated economy.

So would you believe that 0.5% of Thai's will travel? Do you know that if 0.5% travel that is the same number as the amount of Philippinos' that enter Thailand in one year?

May peace and reconciliation be with you my friend.

Now we know you are lying!

Wonderful. Can you at least highlight where I lied?

<EDIT> You highlighted "My mates" in bold. Are you assuming I lied when stating I have mates (friends)?

Dig the hole my friend. Dig it with you reply.

Edited by djjamie